jtferris
Silver
Silver

86 GTV6 no start

Post by jtferris »

Hi all,

I'm trying to revive an 86 GTV6 that has been sitting quite a while. So far we've cleaned all of the various ground and sensor connections and the motor spins over fine. Cleaned all of the fuses in the fuse block.

We cannot get power to the green/black wire to the coil nor can we get power to the fuel pump. I can hear (1) relay under the dash and one on the pass side fender well clicking on when I turn the key to on position. When the key is turned on there is power to the green/black wire at the main fuse box but not at the coil. We've even tried to replace the computer with another one of the same number but no go.

Any suggestions on what to ckech next? thanks.
mjr
Platinum
Platinum

Post by mjr »

Check the wiring blue prints for the routing from the fuse box to the coil, it maybe that you have a failed crimp or connection through the bulkhead.
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

I have wiring diagrams if you need them....not an 86, but wiring still similar....

just pm me
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

jtferris what I would suggest you do is remove the bottom plastic cover on the steering column (the screws holding this together are hex-head) and follow the wires from the ignition switch to the 3 pole connector further down the column.Closely inspect the connections in this connector.I have seen them overheat and oxidize.If you look at the attached wiring schematic you'll see the green wire that I've highlighted runs from the ignition switch to a coil ballast resistor.From the ballast to the coil the wire is green/black.I have no idea what year GTV6 this diagram is from but on my 86 GTV6,Alfa no longer used an external ballast resistor but instead the wire which is green/black on my car goes directly to the coil + and should show 12+ with the ignition on.

13 = ignition switch
14 = connector
6 = ballast resistor
7 = coil
5 = ignition module (attached to the coil chassis)
Attachments
IGNSCHEM.jpg
IGNSCHEM.jpg (58.74 KiB) Viewed 4292 times
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
jtferris
Silver
Silver

Post by jtferris »

aha, I traced the green/black wire from the fuse box and found it was disconnected from the coil and hidden from site. I thought the other green/back wire was the only one. Fired up and needs only some tune up and fuel line repacement.

Thanks!