sira
Gold
Gold

ECU from BMW 528?

Post by sira »

I find in some old MS by P.Webb posts that this ECU is identical like ECU from AR Milano.

I was looking the electronic scheme for BMW and Milano, and pinout is identical, is it really plug and play?

Thanks
mac74
Silver
Silver

Post by mac74 »

I'm running a BMW 635 Ecu and BMW 528 AFM in my GTV6 3.0
It's plug and play hardwarewise. The connectors are the same. I had to adjust
the AFM springload quite a bit though to get rid of some low-rpm stutter. Now it runs really good, but I'm still unsure if air/fuel mixture is correct in low rpm's. I only have a narrowband-lambda to measure with.

I've read somewhere that Shankle (some old famous US alfatuning company?) sold the 635 ecu together with the 528 AFM as a 'V6 HiPerf upgrade kit'.
Echo Leader
Silver
Silver

Post by Echo Leader »

I guess the reasoning behind using the AFM from a 528 is the engine displacement? Is there similar reasoning behind the ECU being from a 635? Is this the only recommended combinations or are there other options that will work?

Thanks!
-James
1984 GTV6
nimbus94
Silver
Silver

Post by nimbus94 »

The main problem is that mixture is define by the AFM resistor network (ceramic network) and spring. If it is possible to tune for high RPM, it would be bad at low RPM and not well adjusted at normal cruise speed.
good for track but not so well for street use.

There is different solution to solv this problem:
- change the ECU by a MegaSquirt ECU http://www.megasquirt.info/
- replace the AFM by aSplit Second MAF and PSC1-009 programmable signal calibrator http://www.splitsec.com/index.html

The setup is the same problem, need a lambda calibrator.

Best regards.
alfa75 V6 3.0
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

If you are using L-Jet with really hot cams the ECU from a late 70's early 80's BMW 528i or 533i as well as the 6 and 7 series versions will work in combination with other mods.

In the U.S. all BMW 3.4 motors as used in the 535i, 635i etc used Motronic fuel injection and those ECUs are NOT compatible. If you are going to use a 535i ECU it has to be from a European 535i.
Echo Leader
Silver
Silver

Post by Echo Leader »

Interesting replies, guys. Thanks.

I actually had just begun investigating the MegaSquirt yesterday. When I first bought my GTV6, my thoughts centered on GoTech. My innate cheapness is taking hold, as is the thought of a fun DIY project. :lol:

Judging from those responses, the MS (or similar) seems like the way to go. Better injection control, the option for ignition control, and the elimination of the restrictive AFM. All good things! 8)

I was about to ask some MS questions, but I think I'll just hold off and post them in a thread over in the correct section....
-James
1984 GTV6