x-rad
Verde
Verde

INCREASING REV LIMIT

Post by x-rad »

OK: here is what I have found...

In a Bosch 0 280 001 134 3.0 box, you can change the value of a resistor to increase rev limit. Decreasing resistance increases rev limit.

Resistor is #R704 located on the underside of the NON connector board.

1. Remove ECU
2. Remove two case bottom screws
2.5. Remove guts
3. Carefully remove two spring clips
4. Carefully remove THREE retaining screws. This is the board you want to work on.
5. open plastic wire cover(it just pops open)
6. GENTLY flip board over

In top left quadrant, you will see three elevated resistors. SEE PICS. The BIG FAT resistor is the NEW one. It is ~4700 ohms by color bands ( better to use at least 1/2 watt , and this is Gold quality..not that that matters too much..it's probably the best resistor on the board)

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... age=family

Anyway, OLD resistor is ~6200 ohms using color bands.

As a double check, NEW resistor is 4600ohms measured resistance (on board) ...

I checked both boards closely and this was the only change I could find. And , this makes sense as only one resistor should be needed to effect peak rev waveform....this allows "overvoltage or over-rev" to occur and does not shut off injectors. I have no other electrical mods to Bosch stuff and can rev to at least 7500rpm...

WARNIG: mod done on 3.0L ECU, although similar, I am not familiar w/2.5's. Also, overrevs can kill your engine..do this at your own risk!!
Attachments
BIG FAT one is NEW resistor ~ 46-4700 ohms (Center of pic)
BIG FAT one is NEW resistor ~ 46-4700 ohms (Center of pic)
NEW RESISTOR.JPG (39.09 KiB) Viewed 6633 times
OLD resitor
OLD resitor
OLD RESISTOR.JPG (42.84 KiB) Viewed 6631 times
gtwheee
Silver
Silver

Post by gtwheee »

nice info :D

where did you get the modified ECU from? (if I read it correctly you acquired the ECU already modded?)
brookstroutr
Gold
Gold

Post by brookstroutr »

x-rad,

Are these fotos of 2 different ECU boards? I see other components that are different, albeit similar.

I think my Verde 3.0ltr came with a ZAT modded ECU. I may open it up and see if they changed like you did. I'll try to post a foto of this as well.
Regards,

N. G. Brooks Robinson
'84 GTV6
'84 M635CSi
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

TWO different 3.0 boards..one has slightly older components but they are the same thing in a different package..both run my car very well with O2 at stoich and everything else being the same except for rev limit

Yes . the board was modified when I got it. Done by a guy back East near Philadelphia whose name I have written down somewhere but can't find....he also modified the 2.5 wiring harness to work with 3.0. stuff
Last edited by x-rad on Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:37 pm, edited 4 times in total.
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

brooks: yeah..lets see the pics...
brookstroutr
Gold
Gold

Post by brookstroutr »

Here's the best pics of my 3.0 ltr ECU & Spark Box. There is a piece of tape with markings of "modified version #1" in both. I guess this is a 'Pandora's Box' as they say. My ECU has the fat resistor.
Attachments
Alfa 3.0ltr Mod ECU 1.jpg
Alfa 3.0ltr Mod ECU 1.jpg (128.34 KiB) Viewed 6533 times
Alfa 3.0ltr Mod ECU 2.jpg
Alfa 3.0ltr Mod ECU 2.jpg (132.56 KiB) Viewed 6535 times
Alfa 3.0ltr Mod Spark Box 1.jpg
Alfa 3.0ltr Mod Spark Box 1.jpg (95.11 KiB) Viewed 6533 times
Regards,

N. G. Brooks Robinson
'84 GTV6
'84 M635CSi
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

did you measure the resistance of the changed resistor?

Did you ever hit rev limit?
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

Brooks: Under the tape should be the chip number...probably common manufacture as these are likely not programmable.
brookstroutr
Gold
Gold

Post by brookstroutr »

xrad,

These are re-programmable. I cannot remember how they used to do this. This was back in the early 80's that I'm familiar with the L-Jets on BMWs.

I haven't checked anything on this one. This set up came with my Verde motor. I think it's the modified "pandora's box". I do not have the specifics other than the rev limit was raised. I'm not too concerned as I will go stand alone and elimenate this antiquated system and get my GTV6 into the 21st Century. I'm leaning towards Gotech right now.
Regards,

N. G. Brooks Robinson
'84 GTV6
'84 M635CSi
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

well if you are able to reprogram these chips, you will need the correct chip socket and a computer capable of reading and writing eprom chips..if that is what it is....OR somebody who has the hardware and software from the 1990's...