sh0rtlife
Verde
Verde

plug wires

Post by sh0rtlife »

ive got a few sets of "stock" wires here and wondering..can i pull the ends off of the stock units and replace the wire itself with some "new" solid core?..or am i looking at buying a full new set of wires.

since i can get some solid core with just dist ends for about 30$
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

sh0rtlife the problem which you'll have with this is that the the end of the stock wires have crimped-on terminals which thread into the resistor tubes.These terminals may be available from Bosch? but you will also need the correct crimping tool to install them on your new wires.
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
sh0rtlife
Verde
Verde

Post by sh0rtlife »

ive got a crimping tool for doing plug wires(unless these require a special one?)since ive made plug wires for my cuda's all sorts of sets for friends cars since around 93...so im no stranger to making plug wires....just never did a set of solid core yet or "hemi" style

my main concern was if i need some kind of special solid core or if the plug ends could be re-used....good chance i can re-use the crimped piece too as over the years ive gotten good at carefully prying "normal ones open to re-use on "odd" applications or quick roadside fixes...headers love to eat plug wires especially on A-body cudas(67-69)....bad header shape

guess i will take one of my "dead" sets apart for a better look...up to this point ive been swapping out bad ones for good one's on a single plug wire not a set...to avoid buying/making a new set..........and ive yet to see a "new" set that didnt stick out like a polished turd
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

sh0rtlife
good chance i can re-use the crimped piece too as over the years ive gotten good at carefully prying "normal ones open to re-use on "odd" applications or quick roadside fixes...
Unfortunately I don't think this is possible.As you will see in my little diagram the threaded end tube of the terminal is crimped to the conductor and I found it impossible to undo that crimp without destroying the tube.Hopefully you'll prove me wrong. :D
Attachments
WIRE END.jpg
WIRE END.jpg (35.67 KiB) Viewed 3195 times
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER