badger77
Silver
Silver

Battery Light On

Post by badger77 »

I have 1984 Alfa Romeo GTV6. When I start the car the battery light goes on (the engine is above 1000 revolutions/second). It stays like that until I rev the engine a bit. Once I take it to 2000 revs the light goes off and does not go on, even is the engine drops back to 1000 revolutions. Ok so I thought it is not a big deal. It happened to me twice when after 24 hours of not driving the car, the car does not want to start the first time. It takes aprx 7 seconds before it starts. . . Yesterday I drove the car bit, and I realized that ... the battery light would not go on, when I turn the car off and then on, but this morning again I saw the light on when I started the car. I cleaned the battery connections, I checked the battery voltage it was at 12.8 (but that was yesterday when I did not have any bad symptoms). Today I tried to start the car 5 times in the row.... The car would start, with all the light wipers and heating on..... Any idea what could this be ? bad Battery or bad alternator ?

Thnak you
sh0rtlife
Verde
Verde

Post by sh0rtlife »

my light does the same thing but i havnt had any starting issues...since i replaced the battery last year with an optima red top

clean and inspect the connections at the battery as well as the primary power and ground points
SimonB
Gold
Gold

Post by SimonB »

Mine does this too. Has done since I bought it in '98. Has had 2 new batteries and one new alternator since then and still does it! No other problems seem to have resulted from it.
¡Si me gusta conducir, es porque conduzco un Alfa!

'84 GTV6 UK spec back on the road after 4 years!
05 Corolla daily driver
badger77
Silver
Silver

Post by badger77 »

That is a big help, thank you. I will drive it a little and see what happens otherwise I will go buy a new battery.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/produ ... 4396672453

I hope this works .
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

badger,

If you know so little about these cars, I would like to suggest to you a simple cost effective remedy.

Take it to an automotive electrician. They will sort out your problem in 10 minutes.

Alfas (especially older ones) can develop quirky electrical problems and can often have more than one symptom/cause. Any auto electrician that knows his stuff will have the competency to do the job.

Auto electrics are too important to have faults so its money well spent. Trust me, you will have more hair left on your head if you do.. :lol:
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
mjr
Platinum
Platinum

Post by mjr »

remember its a balance circuit, you only need a minor overvoltage/undervoltage grom the alternator or batt to make the light come on. if it dims as you rev it, its just slight undervoltage from the alternator when you first start it. mine does it every single time after starting in the morning, until I blip the throttle past 1100 momentarily, then the light goes out immediately. dunno what causes it.
Rookie ROX
Gold
Gold

Post by Rookie ROX »

It's important to note that the warning light ISN'T a battery light.

It's actually a warning light for the alternator. That applies to 95% of all cars. It's a common misconception that it's indicating there's something wrong with the battery.

Having said that, I know one of our 75s has a very similar problem. I believe it's more to do with the electrics of the ARC rather than an issue with the alternator itself.

ROCK ON
R~R
mjr
Platinum
Platinum

Post by mjr »

not strictly true, the point of the standard machine sensed balance circuit, its a CHARGE INDICATOR , not specifically an alternator condition indicator. for instance if the charging light gets brighter as you rev the engine up instead of dimmer it gives you an indication that the alternator is producing too large an overvoltage , either because your battery condition is poor or the alternature output is too high, don't assume the light is always telling you there is something actually wrong with your alternator. normally the light is set to come on at around 2.0 +- volts imbalance. This can be trigered by an alternator issue or a poor current condition in the battery.
badger77
Silver
Silver

Post by badger77 »

Thank you, I will keep driving it then, until something gives up.
badger77
Silver
Silver

Rear Lights

Post by badger77 »

Hey guys I have a question, can you tell me how to get to the light bulb, my rear light burned out. Do I access it through the trunk ?

Thank you