grega
Gold
Gold

mystery fuel vapour box underneath headreasts in rear

Post by grega »

Hey guys.

Need you help and expertise with a problem i'm having.

I have an 83 alfa gtv6
when i fill my car i get a smell of gas in the car. So i decided to remove the carpets in the trunk and replace the fuel hoses I see.

I noticed there is a hose that goes from the top of the gas tank, to a space under a cover behind the rear passenger head rest area.
This hose leads to a black plastic container http://www.flickr.com/photos/27740786@N08/2579786416/

from this container a smaller 1/4" hose leads to a small canister.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27740786@N08/2578956235/
This small canister seems to have a hose missing on one of the fittings.

I'm wondering if this is normal? should this fitting be left open?
What do these 2 parts do? Can this be the source of the smell?
oh my car is a california car, perhaps this helps

Greg A
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

I'm not entirely sure but i think you will have a hse going to the front of the car that ends at the right wheel well. behind the cover at the rear of the front tire you will find a carbon canister for emmissions. it should have 2 other hoses attached. the cover is usually pop riveted on.

hth
zig
grega
Gold
Gold

Post by grega »

Hey Zig,

I don't think that is it.

All the hoses going to that box in the wheel well have been replaced with the silicon hose kit. So i know that can't be it

Greg
grega
Gold
Gold

Post by grega »

Zig,

Well i've been looking though some alfa manuals. And i'm more confused now than before i started.

from the eper alfa manual. There's a diagram for an alfa 75 fuel vapour setup
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27740786@N08/2583120238/

it has that valve and it seems to not have a hose attached on one end. (just as in my car) The hose coming fromt this valve makes its way to the canister in the pasenger side wheel well, as you suggested.

from craigs place i dowloaded the fuel system dowload.
There's 2 pages that are of interest.

this first is for an alfa gtv 6 fuel supply
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27740786@N ... otostream/
it has the valve, however there is no unplugged end like on my car. It does not show where that hose goes and If it makes it to the canister in the pasenger side wheel well/

The second is also for an alfa gtv 6, except it's for an Australian model.
the hose coming from this valve makes it way to the oil seperator on the engine.

So it seems perhaps this valve came from the factory without a hose on one of the fittings. From the diagrams it's either a venting valve or an enertia valve. The one described as an enertia valve comes from the australian diagram. So it's probably just a venting valve. but who knows?

anyhow like i said i'm more confused now than b4

Greg
grega
Gold
Gold

Post by grega »

here's the link for the australian model. I forgot to include it. also the U.S. model is the one with the inertia valve, not the other way around.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27740786@N ... otostream/

Greg
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

I just read the manual on CarDisc and found a description but no diagram.

It's indicated that there is a liquid/vapor separator at/near the tank with a hose to the carbon canister.

What it doesn't say is if there are 2 carbon canisters (one at the front and one near the tank) or not.

The 3rd hose from the front canister....does it go to a metal tube that then runs under the car? If so this may be your errant vent line.

hth
zig
grega
Gold
Gold

Post by grega »

Well. I got a chance to get to the garage today and here's what i found.

The small valve. is a one way valve. air can go into the sytem but not out. I removed it and blew into it to find this out. I then followed the hose that leaves the valve and it made it's way to a mall plastic tube that went into the drivers side rocker panel. I think this is the same plastic tube that comes out of the firewall. and then has a hose connecting it to that box in the wheel well.

Greg A
grega
Gold
Gold

Post by grega »

* the small plastic tube is makes it's way through the passenger side Right side* not the driver side. wish i could go back and edit my responses instead of reposting like this

G
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

Ah...ok that makes sense...I thought it would be a metal tube, but plastic will do....do you have any of the silicon hose left over? That would be ideal here.

Also check the condition of the flex joints in the fuel filler pipe (1 i think) if you haven't yet. I smell gas in the car when the tank is full only and the rubber of that joint looks a bit rough.

hth

zig
grega
Gold
Gold

Post by grega »

Your right about the flex joint. I had to replace that 2 years ago. It had a crack in it. I bought a replacement from I.A.P. but it was too short. So i went to a place that sold used fuel tanks and gota piece of larger fuel hose. i forget if it was 2-1/4 inches.

No i don't have enough of the silicone hose left. Perhaps i should get in touch with greg gordon and order some more.

Also when filling up my gas tank, i have to go very slow with the gas pump, or it stops on me. Any idea why?
Perhaps the breather hose is clogged? I'm going to replace that hose too.

Greg
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

It seems to me that the filler pipe and nozzle are position sensitive...if I just shove the nozzle in and let the handle hang straight down then it shuts off if I try to fill at the fast speed. If I turn the nozzle to the side or even upside down it works fine. I've also seen it work allright if you use the slow catch on the nozzle.

The breather probably should be replaced just because of age....I wouldn't be surprised if it broke while you were checking on it.

zig
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

I use the same technique on the 75 MR2Zig
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
mjr
Platinum
Platinum

Post by mjr »

try cleaning the tank outward venting valve. it may help your fill problem. if the vent valve is slow to release the air you are replacing with fuel, the pumps cut out.