81usgtv6
Silver
Silver

81 us gtv6

Post by 81usgtv6 »

does any one know how the 2 vacuum hose on this dist are supposed to be run?
the top hose on the plenum goes to the back of the diaphragm (furthest from motor)
and the hose running from the bottom of the plenum is going to the front (closest).
when I remove the top hose the rpms go down. and timing moves further ATDC ,past the correct timing marks. Is there away to replace any of this @#@#?
GregoryV
Platinum
Platinum

Re: 81 us gtv6

Post by GregoryV »

When you say plenum you mean the Throttle Body – right?
If So then Yes, you have the lines routed correct.

Is there a particular problem with how the engine is running?

GV
20-Years-3-Motors-Later
81usgtv6
Silver
Silver

Re: 81 us gtv6

Post by 81usgtv6 »

the owners manual says that if you remove the top vacuum line off the throttle body that the rpms should increase because the ignition timing has advanced. It doesn't, it retards past the correct timing mark, causing the rpms to decrease. As far as symptoms it has very low power at <3000 rpms and bad gas mileage. This is an early 81 us gtv6 with 58000 miles, original non leaking hoses. New o2 sensor. changed timing belt & set timing to cam marks then adjusted with strobe and electric tack. I knew this car when it was in it's 30's. Now it is a shadow of itself. i have gone through graigs pages and repaired a great deal of problems. It's been 4000 miles on this one and i'm at my wits end. the diaphragm has no leaks and vacuum on either side causes mechanical movement in dist..