grantleyrich
Silver
Silver

Re: GTV 6 2.5 V6 running problems

Post by grantleyrich »

I would check the distributor first!

I have just got over a year of poor running with a 3 litre. I tried all the obvious things listed, had the injectors cleaned, and fixed a few leaks. All gave small improvements but did not give a complete cure. Turns out that the distributor was partly siezed to timing was all over the place. It was stripped and freed up, and as a result I now have an engine that behaves as it should - revs out well and has all the driveability that I had come to expect.

There were a few other bugs too, like a temperature sensor that was crook and a couple of leaks in the plenum hoses. And a sticking valve, but that is another story...

Good luck! I know how frustrating it can be when the car runs OK but not quite as well as it should...
Mark Walshaw
Gold
Gold

Post by Mark Walshaw »

Frustrated update, fuel pressure now correct and stable, fuel pipes flushed and some replaced.
Big ground ,battery ground, plenum ground and injector grounds cleaned ( new crimped fitting fitted).
Hesitation still there and feels to be getting worse, only light at the end of tunnel is, I had to rinse spilled fuel of motor so sprayed Q20 in dizzy and then yesterday hesitation was minimal, today back to its old self, bucking and even at a loss of power.
Found a place to test dizzy on Saturday, so lets hope.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Mark did you get your dizzy recond yet ?
Mark Walshaw
Gold
Gold

Post by Mark Walshaw »

Hi Kevin, not as yet, to busy but will hopefully pull it out this weekend, Found a chappie in Centurion who seams to be quiet helpful. Battling to find a replacement coil, Bosch service centers here are useless, anybody know a good replacement. Make and model please? :?:
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Think I know of same chap in centurion , they did my turbo distributor . Start there as Grant says in above posts . They will also check your coil . I think it's part of auto ecu division .
Mark Walshaw
Gold
Gold

Post by Mark Walshaw »

:D :D :D Update, stripped dizzy down, cleaned and checked, no play on shaft or cracks or any thing that looked suspect.
Decided to check AFM, open up and inspected under a magnifying glass, found excessive where at the beginning of the rangeon the wiper track on the PC board. :oops:
Aquired an old AFM, which I tried, but found the car almost undriveble as the spring was weak and the door kept sticking, but hesitation on constant throttle was gone.

Found another PC board and rebuild my original AFM, now motor is pulling hard with no hesitation and even response is great.

As we always say the problem is always small and easy to fix, it's just finding the problem that is difficult.

See wear marks on the start of travel on the wiper track on the PC board.
Attachments
Pic of what a wiper PC board should look like.
Pic of what a wiper PC board should look like.
afmplate.jpg (27.29 KiB) Viewed 5201 times
Worn PC board on AFM.
Worn PC board on AFM.
AFM o.jpg (48.16 KiB) Viewed 5201 times
Mark Walshaw
Gold
Gold

Post by Mark Walshaw »

Quick report back before off to Mozambique for few days, problem was definitely AFM. The car is now perfect with no stutters or hesitation. :D