John in Albq
Silver
Silver

Ignition Switch Substitute

Post by John in Albq »

The 4 wire key switch on my 83 has become very tempremental and instead of replacing it entirely I was thinking of adding a toggle switch for power and a momentary for the starter. Am I correct in thinking that the red to the switch is power in, the brown is power out and the black goes to the starter? Then I would toggle the red to the brown and have a momentary switch from the red to the black. If this is true, what is the 4th (green) wire doing? As I was going to leave the old key switch still wired in place, do I need to add anything for the green wire?
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Re: Ignition Switch Substitute

Post by Greg Gordon »

I can't remember how the wiring goes, but yes, this is a good idea. The OEM ignitions switches are expensive junk.

Greg
GTV27
Platinum
Platinum

Post by GTV27 »

At a guess (don't have a wiring diagram handy) would it be for the accessories position?
Jason
1983 GTV6 2.8 litre
grantleyrich
Silver
Silver

Post by grantleyrich »

IIRC Italian cars generally do not have a position for 'accessories', even my relatively modern (2002) Fiat Seicento does not have this position. Really annoying when connecting a radio.

I suspect that the green wire may be for illumination of the switch which I think is connected to the door light switch. The light should come on when the door is opened. I thought that this was a really cool deature when I got my car- when it worked!