Alan Dezzani
Silver
Silver

Electrical Gremlin

Post by Alan Dezzani »

Got into my 1986 GTV6 the other morning(very cold, very dark). When I turned the key nothing happened, no electrics at all. From the time on the stopped clock, I figured something came loose when I shut the door. This afternoon after sitting for two days, I get in the car and it starts right up. Checked the battery terminal connections and they were tight. Any suggestions as to what to look for.
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Re: Electrical Gremlin

Post by MR2 Zig »

I'd say grounds....the ones under the dash in particular. Also fuses. also wire connectors to the ingnition switch.

Start moving wires around and see what happens....do this in a manner as to not jerk things apart.

Sounds like something is loose.

hth,
MR1 Zig (I made rate!)
Machinery Repairman USNR
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

I would have to lean towards the ground from the driver's side cylinder head to the chassis. I have a picture of most grounds on my website in the L-Jet tech article there.

Greg,
www.hiperformancestore.com
www.okinjectors.com
John in Albq
Silver
Silver

Post by John in Albq »

I had the same experience recently and it turned out to be the ignition switch. I wired around it with a momentary starter switch and an on/off switch. Still have to use the ignition switch for the steering lock.
Mark Walshaw
Gold
Gold

Post by Mark Walshaw »

The last month the battery in my GTV6 2.5 when legs up (started leaking fluid from a sealed unit) which I replaced with a new battery as the factory was closed over December. Then the new battery would not hold the charge, I checked the charging rate which was at 11.9. I then cleaned all the earths in boot and engine bay, this resulted in a charge rate of 13.4. Now today two weeks later battery is low again and refusing to start ( no tail lights, speedo, fuel gauge and radio intermittently working while driving). After letting the car stand for an hour it starts again. Anybody know where I can look and what is the possible fault. :?
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Do you live close to the coast?
Seaside locations greatly increase the corrosion rate on all live and ground contacts.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Mark Walshaw
Gold
Gold

Post by Mark Walshaw »

Hi MD, thanks for the tip I live inland but has been raining cats and dogs lately. I check the positive where the battery, starter and alternator joins. Cleaned all contacts and even replaced some. I then recheck charge rate and was sitting at 13.8 then dropped down to 5.odd then as the motor dropped in revs slightly the charge rate went to 17.5 (is this possible or is my multimeter faulty or could all my problem be down to the voltage regulator in the alternator) I trickle charged the battery over night and will drive the car over the next few days to see what happens.
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Hello Mark,

You got a can of worms there !

Let's do this one thing at a time. If you are using a digital multimeter that doesn't have a fresh battery, it will make faulty and unpredictable dispalys all over the place. So job one, either use an analogue (needle point) multimeter, or install a known good battery in a digital one and do the measurements again.

You should be getting a steady state voltage display of between 13.8 -14.25 Volts.

After this, we may need to talk about the voltage regulator on your alternator.
Mark Walshaw
Gold
Gold

Post by Mark Walshaw »

Thanks MD thing are starting to make sense ( :? I am a little electrically challenged) but learning slowly. did two things today purchased a proper multimeter and took the alternator in to be redone, after removing it I found the bearings a little rough, so decided to eliminate the alternator from the process by having a total over haul. Have also put new crimp on lugs on the wires coming from the alternator, we now eagerly wait the alternator and see if tomorrow is a trouble free day.
Mark Walshaw
Gold
Gold

Post by Mark Walshaw »

Hey MD another question, my blower motor in the car has been irregular lately, by this I mean when driving at a constant speed with air conn on, the blower changes speed by its selve, could this be related to the charging or a separate issue?
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Mark,

Good move on the alternator. Suspected voltage regulator on it anyway.

The AC Fan could be altering speed because of varying voltage applied leading to better or worse currentr supply due to:

1 Old bushes in the motor
2 Poor connections in the fuse box for the motor
3 Poor B+ connection of supply to fuse box
4 Poor connections in push on connectors supplying fan
5 Poor ground connections to fan motor.
Mark Walshaw
Gold
Gold

Post by Mark Walshaw »

Hi MD

Firstly a very big thanks for the help :D

So far so good, installed recon alternator last night and so far done about 100 k's to day with no problems. Radio plays with no hicups, blower motor has remained constant with air conn on and off. last night while idling charge rate was a constant 13.79. best part is the motor seems to have found quite a few more horses, is this possible or is my imagination just been hopeful.
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Always gladens the heart to see yet another rolling GTV6.Pat on the back for not throwing the towel in.

My advice for generally cleaning all your ground and live terminals free from corrosion and verdigris (a green or bluish deposit especially of copper carbonates formed on copper, brass, or bronze surfaces ie your electrical contacts)still stands and I would advise all Alfa owners not to overlook this problem on our cars that are this age.

Just make sure you put back the wire where it came from !! :D

The perceived improvement in performance may be real due to improved high tension voltage to spark plugs.

Happy motoring.
Mark Walshaw
Gold
Gold

Post by Mark Walshaw »

Hi MD

Thanks once again, car is definitely hauling ass now. I hope this thread will help some other poor bugger with a similar problem. Will definitely call on you again. happy motoring. :D