Digritz
Silver
Silver

Intermittent starting and now dead gtv6 1986

Post by Digritz »

Hi, my garage is restoring my alfa and have reported the below

After all the other work was done we started it and it ran sweetly for about 20 minutes. We then started it again the next day and moved it outside to move some other cars around with no problem.

When we moved it back in (after about half an hour) it stopped running after about 2 minutes and did this a few more times and now won't fire at all.

We've checked the fuel delivery and that's fine, changed the coil but it's still not firing or sending a pulse from the distributor to power the injectors.

They have checked the ignition switch which it is not , and have an auto electrician coming to have a look . I am pointing them at the gremlin post in this forum , but any other clues or obvious places to look that are unique to the gtv6 ? Much appreciated
Rob
kevin
Verde
Verde

Re: Intermittent starting and now dead gtv6 1986

Post by kevin »

Check all the wires around the coil area for solid connections . I think it's the green an white wire , see that it makes proper contact to the resistors .
Digritz
Silver
Silver

Post by Digritz »

Hi
the car is finished, and I hoped this issue had been sorted. I replace the plugs, the leads and the dizzy cap and rotor arm with new, and the problem seemed to be solved.

the car was then run dry and a load of rubbish clogged the fuel pump and filter
this was cleaned, the filter replaced, the fuel tank washed out and replaced.
the car runs and drives fine, BUT when you put her under any sudden load, put your foot down to over take, nothing happens, she judders and then just starts to idle, the revs pick back up when you pull your foot off the gas.

Vacuum switch is set correctly.
coil is fine
Fuel pressure is 2 bar
spark is good
fuel return from the engine is clean so no dirt in the fuel
I have flushed through four bottles (at once ) of injector cleaner in qtr of a taken and run it for 60 miles... no change

Its with Bianco Autos, in Surrey. We are about to swap the ECU for one I have spare, but also wondered about changing the air flow meter ?

Im happy to change parts for new, but would rather not do it for the sake of it.
does anyone know where to source a complete set of new injectors ?

Otherwise, I still think its the fuel pump. its very noisy, and, going round a corner at speed produces the same problem but with no additional throttle pressure.

the car will not rev above 3000 revs, but it will do that in 1st , to about 4000... so Again, I'm thinking feed of fuel to the engine.

There is no smoke or anything like that, or leaks that I can see.

Any ideas ? Thanks !
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

This does sound similar in some respects to the thread below yours which turned out to be the airflow meter . As its the one of the only things you have not changed then start there .
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4020&start=30