festy
Silver
Silver

Teaching an old Motronic dog new tricks

Post by festy »

Take one 75 TS ECU.
Add a year of time and effort, some custom software and a small hardware upgrade...

And the end result is a real-time programmable EMS that can be DIY tuned at home without any special equipment.

Here's a short video showing the ignition being adjusted back and forth while the engine is "running" (it's on a test bench engine simulator).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... uU9wVrRUxI
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Re: Teaching an old Motronic dog new tricks

Post by fedezyl »

Having a motronic 33 16v and as I said before on another forum, this is a huge breakthrough for all us alfa fans that want to upgrade a street car, I for one will be trying it out on my 33, see if I can get the same or better results than with the Megasquirt!
festy
Silver
Silver

Post by festy »

Yesterday I added real-time support to the 12V 3.0 V6 firmware, and I've just finished writing a 33 version this morning.
It's based on the '142 hardware code which I seem to recall is what you have, Australia got the '147 version for unleaded fuel/lambda sensor so I'll have to make a seperate firmware for the local cars.

I'll have the RT hardware conversion modules for the 33 and V6 ECUs ready in a few weeks (the TS modules don't quite fit in these ECUs) so if you're interested in doing some beta testing let me know.
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Post by fedezyl »

I've been tracking your posts on the two forums, I just found my spare Ecu at home but again, i'm away for the weekend (enjoying the summer season), my 33 has the unleaded/lambda ecu, I still have to check what the spare one is as it's one a friend sent me from the U.K.

I live in uruguay, i'll be happy to beta test, just let me know how much the postage is and i'll pay it through your paypal account or something.
festy
Silver
Silver

Post by festy »

UK got the '142 ECU - but if you're running the '147 I'll start working on that one instead.
I'll PM you once I've got the 33 module ready (3-4 weeks probably) to organise getting one out to you.
75evo
Verde
Verde

Post by 75evo »

Fantastic, can you list out what parts we need to buy like Ostrich or something?
What numbers do you need for the 155 V6? ECU number? Its a M1.7 but i dont have the exact ECU nmuber, although I can find out for you.

Thanks!

Zamani
festy
Silver
Silver

Post by festy »

Using my hardware, the ML4.1 becomes a true real-time system so no emulators are required.
With a standard factory bin, an eprom emulator will be just as good as my setup - but my 'custom' firmware will need the real-time hardware for some of the features I'm working on (eg functions like wideband integration, self tuning mode, MAF conversion etc).

I haven't started developing any extended features for the M1.7 yet so your safest bet is an eprom emulator like the Moates Ostrich 2, a copy of Tuner Pro 5 RT, and the correct xdf file.
I'd also strongly suggest a wideband O2 sensor/gauge if you don't already have one, otherwise you're flying blind with the fuelling changes.

With that setup, you'd be able to tune all the basics like the fuel, ignition, rev limits, idle speeds etc.

If you wanted to datalog (it's a bit crude, but that clip shows that it does work) then you'd also need a diagnostics interface and adapter cable (search ebay for "KKL" and "Fiat 3 pin adapter", expect to pay about $20 for the pair) and the Motronic plug-in for Tuner Pro.

If that xdf I put together doesn't match your ECU, just send me the details of yours and I'll see what I can do.
I'd need the hardware ID at a minimum (0.261.something, will be on a sticker on the ECU's case) - the software ID would be even better, but you'd have to either open the ECU and read the sticker on the chip, or read the ID using a laptop and diagnostic cable.

Here's a pic of an ML4.1 with my real-time module installed:
RT_module1.jpg
RT_module1.jpg (184.35 KiB) Viewed 6937 times