kowfy
Silver
Silver

ain't givin up but need help

Post by kowfy »

i need some kind individual out there in alfa land to just take a working ecu either from a gtv6 or a milano.test if there is connectivity from pin #28 to pin # 16 on the ecu.tou won't see the numbers on the out side of this ecu but here's how they go.as you turn the ecu towards you with the longer row of pins on the bottem.count # 1 from the bottem left till you get to # 16.mark it.now there are two more pins to the right of it.go straigt up to the next row and count the first pin on the upper right #19.countinue counting to the left till you hit pin # 28.mark it.now see if there is connectivity 'tween pin 16 and pin 28.if there is please inform me.this will narrow my search down considerbly. :? :D
David
Gold
Gold

Re: ain't givin up but need help

Post by David »

Hi,

A couple of ECUs I have show the following on pins #28 & #16 as you describe.

ECU Number - 0 280 001 117 - No connectivity

ECU Number - 0 280 001 132 - No connectivity

I can't recall whether the the last ECU was from a GTV6 or Alfa 75 (Milano)

Regards
David
1985 GTV6 3.0 Zender Body Kit - Red
kowfy
Silver
Silver

Post by kowfy »

hey david,thank you for your help.you're the only alfisti that helped me with this request.i appreciate it believe me.i have narrowed it down and i assume now it's not the computor.i've tested connectivity from all the pins in the afm.all good.no ground there as well.pin 7 on the afm goes to pin 7 on the ecu but some how this line finds itself up to the dashboard.the tach.doesn't work and i tried a different tach.same thing.so i'll be trying to find that # 7 wire where it hits the dashboard as my next troubleshoot.thanks once more
David
Gold
Gold

Post by David »

Hi,

If it is only the tacho that is the problem check these connections.

Tacho signal is from the coil, a white wire to a connection block on the firewall next to the bonnet catch. Check all connections and cable ends on and around this block.

The two white wires on the connection block are connected to a black cable labelled "1". This black one goes to pin 1 on the ecu, one white wire from the coil and the other to the tacho.

Take out the tacho and check for continuity from the white wire on the tacho plug to the white wires on the firewall. This will verify the signal wire is ok under the dash. Check also for continuity of the white wire to the coil. This should not be a problem as the ECU uses that signal.

Hope that helps. If not, PM me and we can investigate further. I can also send you a pinout diagram of the ECU if you don't one.

David
1985 GTV6 3.0 Zender Body Kit - Red
kowfy
Silver
Silver

Post by kowfy »

hi david,this is an 81 and it's a bit different than 83 and a half and up.but here's what i checked.the tach.connector has 6 wires from right to left there is yellow,black, white,black/white,pink,and green black.with key off all are 0.0 negative.with engine on pink and white receive signal.i probed black wire with power probe and the tach.started to work.it's not accurate on idle but it becomes very accurate above 2,500.an outside tach i have confirms this.i suppose the other wires are for lite,headlite high and reg.by the way there is no connector block on the firewall.as i said the 81-2 are a bit different.now the real problem is i can't get negative on pin 85 of the bi relay without jumping it there.back to square one.any other ideas will be appreciated.
kowfy
Silver
Silver

Post by kowfy »

so it breaks down to why does pin 28 on the ecu not switch from positive to negative once the engine starts? cause of course it shuts down without the negative input.
kowfy
Silver
Silver

Post by kowfy »

ooops! just spoke to a tech. guy who went over the whole schematic.after a couple tests he he told me to connect pin 85 on the bi relay to a good negative and drive.ok.it seems to start and restart if shut down without a problem.so i'll go this route.i'm just waiting for my middle exhaust to get here and i should be good to go.he said the car should drive a ok like this. i'll report on the outcome.
kowfy
Silver
Silver

Post by kowfy »

i gotta tell the outcome of my problem with my gtv6 '81.with the help of issak melakis of mosach(garage) monza in afula we went over every system in the jetronic system looking for where the dog was buried.the car somtimes had pulse then not as the ecu's kept shorting out.each time an ecu was repaired and tested i'd have connection from pin 16 to pin 28 on the ecu.VERY IMPORTENT.then i'd start the car.shut her down and the ecu would be gone again.some how the voice in my head told me "hey buddy,put the power probe on the cover of the starter and start the car" red light and buzzing.POSITIVE SHORT.but only when start was activated.what a bitch to find.took that cover with the insulation off the starter.no more short.repaired the ecu once again.no spark.removed the ignition module and it was burned out from the short as well.malakis told me i could use the newer modual that being the 0 227 100 111 from a carburated 75 and i did and it starts and runs like a babe.THANK YOU ITSEK MALAKIS.
:D