75evo
Verde
Verde

164 starter

Post by 75evo »

Just curious how many people would be interested if i were to make and adapter for the 164 starter for the gtv6 flywheel and bell housing?
bteoh
Platinum
Platinum

Re: 164 starter

Post by bteoh »

Hey Z,
Are the 164 starter readily available?? If so,
I might be interested . That is assuming the size is smaller and similiar to the 75 Potenziata starter.
Cheers
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Yes, its the same size but with different 3-hole flange. I tried to see if a 2-hole modification is possible by cutting/welding but I decided it doesn't look like its worth the trouble.
Jim K.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

A few of us here in SA have used the 164 starter . Its definitely not straight forward and the engine must be out to get it set up correctly in right place . Due to position of solenoid the starter gear is not tangential to ring gear however that's never really caused problems . The solenoid however does get much closer to the headers .
The small 75 starter is the answer . Its swings really well . Much easier to track one of those down .
bteoh
Platinum
Platinum

Post by bteoh »

Bummer, I am still looking for one. Alex Jupe said he will look into it but he hasn't got any at the moment. Seems like it's rare as hens teeth or I have to pay the earth for one. On another note, Tim Brise from the UK said he can get an axial one with similiar mounting as the small 75 starter but with a built in solenoid so it is even smaller.....
Any thoughts on that?
75evo
Verde
Verde

Post by 75evo »

Oooh nice. Who is this Mr. Brise? I'm interested. Maybe I can pick it up from him next year.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

I met Tim Brise at the autosport show and yes they can make an axial starter but thy were about 295£ . They also make a PGR version at 195£ . Both these are high powered starters . At th show their was another company called WOSperformace who had a starter off the shelf for around £195. references to their part number LMS505. It is a Denso 1.4kW unit.
So their are two options . Maybe worth email Wosperformance to see if the dimension are the same as the smaller 75 type but that's not really the criteria as this is a very powerful starter .
I can always mail them an old starter to confirm bolt patterns etc if you guys are serious about buying from either of them .
bteoh
Platinum
Platinum

Post by bteoh »

Hey Kevin,

That sounds great. When I looked at the WOSperformance site, it stated they were only wholesalers and don't deal with the public? Anyway, if their unit was a straight bolt on part , similiar to the Bosch 0001108098 , that would be great.
Freight would be a killer :oops:
75evo
Verde
Verde

Post by 75evo »

Have you looked at the LMS 505 starter?

http://www.amp-starters.co.uk/Automotiv ... 587-36778/

The bracket looks wrong.

Oops never mind the pictures are not exact.
75evo
Verde
Verde

Post by 75evo »

kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

On the wosp starter the pics only for illustration but its worth asking for a drawing to check starter pcd . Bit pricy
Gearbox starter on a prop with three rubber couplings would loose a lot of energy before it cranks the motor unless it was really powerfull starter .