BotswanaAlfa
Gold
Gold

Starts then dies

Post by BotswanaAlfa »

so a few days ago i went for a drive and went to the fuel station to refuel, i turned the car off and when i tried to start it again it wouldnt run, itd start relatively quick, rev to 1500 rpm then cut off, this happened several times until i kept the starter running after ignition( :oops: ) upon which it ran perfectly, what could it be? there appears to be a sort of transition point between fire up and running that it struggles to achieve. this is only when hot by the way, when cold it starts perfectly every time, first crank. please help, im at my wits end
'83 GTV6 stock with Wildcat exhaust system
kevin
Verde
Verde

Re: Starts then dies

Post by kevin »

If you keep starter on while running you will burn your starter motor out very quickly . There are few checks you need to do . I will find you link to a wiring diagram . However ..
Sounds like your ignition barrel is stuffed . Take key in and out , maybe tap the lock the barrel a few times , see if it suddenly works as the bits go rolling around inside the barrel of the lock . If no change then you need to start your checks .
As importing lock at this stage is really pricy and I understand their is a four month postal strike in South Africa . The cost of ignition from High wood Alfa is £102 and multiply that by 18 for Rand conversion plus import duty - then theft its risky .
Take covers off under steering column and use multimeter to check for power from ignition to ecu , fuel relay . Their is black connector with three wires depending on what was fitted and probe into there .
If that's your problem then you can install a toggle switch for fuse box and ecu power up while key will activate starter and security . One step better if security no problem get push button starter with toggle as combination set but must come with relay . I did this for years as I also had a secret by pass switch incase some one wanted to steal car . You must remove the steering lock pin .
If you got power then Next check is The fuel pump relay in front might be faulty ie pink wire but normally if it is faulty it does not even activate at all . Finally You might still have your inertia switch connected which might be faulty but you can bridge that to eliminate .

I will dig up diagram to tell you which wires to check for power when cranking .
BotswanaAlfa
Gold
Gold

Re: Starts then dies

Post by BotswanaAlfa »

Hi Kevin thanks so much! it makes so much sense , the electrician whos helpig me out with some gremlins said something similar. many thanks i really appreciate it! Ive purchased a push button start now to set up in the vehicle, i like the idea, kinda exotic way to start this beaut! thanks for the assist Kevin, managed to find a wiring diagram on the net so no need for that. ill post when the key is fitted and if it solves the problem! :mrgreen:
'83 GTV6 stock with Wildcat exhaust system