twinspark6
Gold
Gold

Any one ever rewire their entire car?

Post by twinspark6 »

I was wondering if any one on here has ever rewired their entire car with the modern fuse holder? Anyone in the west coast you could recommend? The reason i ask is that my car was tampered with and all the fuses and wires were cut. I believe i saw a gtv6 with the modern box. Any help would be appreciated.
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

I have not seen that, although my dad did replace every single wire in the Grey GTV6 that we are drag racing against the BMW 535i today.
iachella
Silver
Silver

Correct color wire source

Post by iachella »

With regard to rewiring, does anyone know where to get the colored wire with the black stripe on it that Alfa uses? I want to rewire a length of one section of the harness and I want to keep the wires in the exact color. Finding colored wire is easy, but the ones lableled BN, VN, RN, etc, N being the Nero designation.

Thanks
Stefano, Concord CA
74 GTV, 79 Alfetta GT
iachella [at] gmail [dot] com
constantinemacris
Gold
Gold

Post by constantinemacris »

If anyone has any info on this that would be great!
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

I have done the first part, torn out all the old wiring... :roll:
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Sporttunergtv6
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Sporttunergtv6 »

what are the reasons for replacing the alfa fuse box? i definately understand the rewiring part, especially if you are racing you can really simplify the harness. however, what gives? and when you do replace the fuse box should you replace it with circuit breakers or new style fuses?
v
ps: what relays need to be retained in for a stripped down race application. just the alternator?
constantinemacris
Gold
Gold

I have started tracing and labeling and cutting with a 18 circuit fuse box on order. It is going to go under the rear seat if space permits. The painless box comes with indicator relays and such. You can add on relays for thing such as rear defog and such when you would like. I have noticed that one of the reasons everything sucks so bad is becuase so much is piggy-backed on other things. There seems to be no logical method for wiring. nothing is laid out neatly. Possibly there was a method to production but the EFI harness was like butter compaired to the under-dash.
I am going to have a separate relays for headlights and fog lights in the engine compartment. I am going to do away with the old courtesy light timers in favor for some never ones.
a list of relays follows:

brake warning light relay
power window relay
AC Relay
simultaneous engine fan and AC fan (on radiator)
Horn
Rear defrost
Engine fan

I know there are a few more

Does anyone have a diagram that you can read the wire colors, that would help things out.

Dini
constantinemacris
Gold
Gold

i will let you know how the painless harness is. For racing they have a few circuits that should be quite enough. They even have trunk mount kits that may make things easier by getting the box close to the battery.
constantinemacris
Gold
Gold

I have gotten all the old wiring out. Most of it is a big ball of melted wires. The source of the heat seemed to be the power windows. Not quite sure how that happened... Does anyone know a good source for different types of connectors. The lighting seems to be in pretty good shape. I am considering doing a chassis connector for everything in the engine comparment. Any ideas on that?

Thanks
Dini
constantinemacris
Gold
Gold

I have gotten all the old wiring out. Most of it is a big ball of melted wires. The source of the heat seemed to be the power windows. Not quite sure how that happened... Does anyone know a good source for different types of connectors. The lighting seems to be in pretty good shape. I am considering doing a chassis connector for everything in the engine comparment. Any ideas on that?

Thanks
Dini
twinspark6
Gold
Gold

Post by twinspark6 »

keep us posted. Do you need the entire gtv6 wiring diagram?
constantinemacris
Gold
Gold

Ok got just about everything done. I will post photos soon. I am putting some really nice sound insulation in now. Some new paint on stuff then some marine foam. I get marine stuff at mad wholesale prices. The wiring was not that bad. THe harness made it very easy. I also have a buddy who gave me about every color and size of GLX and SLX and TLX wire i could imagine to make up for wire painless didn't do. I took every load and got exact amps to find out what the correct wire and fuse should be in there. I got some hella 4 gang relay blocks and everything went smoothly with about 10000 tie raps later.

I HAVE THE HARNESS OUT AND AN EXTRA FUSE BLOCK KIT FROM PAINLESS (I ordered two by mistake) I can make someone a copy of what i did to put the fuse block in the trunk and write up what colors go to what on the painless harness. I am putting the harness back in the car after i inulate the floor so LET ME KNOW ASAP. By putting the harness in the back seat you free up tons of room under the dash and simpify thing quite a bit.

I also rebuilt the heater box and put that silly resistor in the box so when you turn on the fan the air blows over it. It doesn't get that hot and that fan pulls about 7.5 amps so it isn't a biggy. I also removed that silly thermostat switch and put in a 6 pole 3 position switch so i can turn the tropic air box on with the AC or without. The new ECU that i am putting in will turn the AC on and off the switch acts like a request for the ECU to activate the relay. THe ECU will then turn on the AC if you are not accelerating and will control the fans accordinly.

EMAIL Dini@cleaniedini.com