Alan Dezzani
Silver
Silver

Starting Problem

Post by Alan Dezzani »

My 1986 GTV-6 receintly developed a starting problem. It starts fine when the cold, but frequently after the engine has warmed up, the motor turns over, but it won't start. I'll then let the car sit for a few minutes and try again. Then it usually starts up. This usually occurs after the motor was shutoff for just a few minutes.
I suspect the engine is getting flooded during warms starts. Frequently after these starts, the engine runs as if not all cylinders are firing, but this goes away after short time.
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

Alan based on your description the first thing to check is the cold start injector.You can do this by unplugging the Bosch connecter which activates it and see if your hot start improves.This injector should only be firing on cold start and if it is defective or if the "thermal time switch" ,which signals it to operate, is faulty you'll experience the condition described.The CSI is located on the rear pass. side of the plenum and the connector is usually blue in colour.
All that said my 86 2.5L likes a little bit of accelerator pedal on hot starts and I believe the manual even suggests this so you may not have a problem at all, although your description suggests that this is a new condition.
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
Alan Dezzani
Silver
Silver

Post by Alan Dezzani »

I thought using the accelorator pedal on starts could cause the plenum to blow. But I think I traced the problem to an electrical connection.
After squeezing the contacts for the No. 8 fuse together, to improve the contact, the starting problem seems to have gone away. I thought the cold start injector was also causing the motor to occasionly run rough by sticking open, but it looks like that may have been related to a "leaky" head gasket. I entered a post on this in the Cooling System Forum.