Cassin
Silver
Silver

1986 GTV6 - No power to AC compressor clutch

Post by Cassin »

There is no electrical power to the AC compressor clutch.

I've recently purchased the vehicle (1986 GTV6), and as yet have no wiring diagrams for it. I'm assuming that there is a relay of some sort that controls power to the compressor, but I have no idea which - of the many relays - is the correct one.

Is there an easy/simple way of identifying and locating it without a wiring diagram or manual?

Thanks,

Richard
La Jolla, CA.
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

Richard - the first thing I would check is the microswitch on the heater control valve.When you move the temperature slider to the max-cold postion (blue dot) the movement of the cable and the heater valve mechanism should close the microswitch and in turn energize the clutch circuit.The long arm on the microswitch sometimes has to be bent to close the contact.The valve is under the dash on the passenger side close to the center console.Be very carefully manipulating stuff under there because the heater valve is very fragile and no longer available.
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
shures
Gold
Gold

A/C electrical

Post by shures »

I can email wiring diagrams OR you can find them on AlfaBB.com. You are dealing with a very simple set-up. I don't do auto electrics professionally and went through the A/C electrical in about 45 minutes when I did mine. PM me with an email address if you want the diagrams.
Scott Shure
Ellicott City, Md
85 GTV-6