Kerry
Silver
Silver

Temp gauge

Post by Kerry »

the temp gauge in my 87 Milano suddenly stopped registering, the car is new to me so any help would be appreciated. Kerry
Nicholas
Silver
Silver

Post by Nicholas »

It is more than likely that the temperature sender on the thermostat housing has failed and requires replacement.
Nick
GTV630
Kerry
Silver
Silver

Post by Kerry »

Hi Nick, thanks for the response, I tried a spare, it didnt help, any further suggestions, is it possible for the gauge to fail.
Nicholas
Silver
Silver

Post by Nicholas »

From my experience gauges rarely fail, however they don't last forever either. try putting a load on the gauge to test if the needle moves if so you probably have two faulty senders on your hands. I'm pretty sure I did something like this a couple of years back when I experienced a similar problem. I ended up getting a brand new sender and all was good.
Nick
GTV630
Alfa GTV6 NZ
Gold
Gold

Post by Alfa GTV6 NZ »

Also check the earth wire to the thermostat/sender housing
1987 GTV6 - Livin in New Zealand.
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Clean the threads in the head and the sender to be sure there is conductivity through the sender, motor and back to chassis ground.

As an experiment, you could solder a small ground wire to a copper washer of the correct size to fit over the sender, fit the sender in its usual location and connect the wire to chassis ground. Bring the car up to temp as usual. If there is no change, you could have a faulty sender or a gauge. If it works, you had an earth problem. If it doesn't, substitue one at a time and see how you go..
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Kerry
Silver
Silver

Post by Kerry »

Well after cleaning all the connectors on the sender with no luck, and trying a spare sender, I replaced the connectors, it seems to be working fine although Im not sure if these cars will normally jump up over 200 degrees in stop and go traffic, Thanks for the help.
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

Got enough fluid?