bcal
Gold
Gold

Cooling a stock 2.5V6

Post by bcal »

Hi,
How much more cooling does a stock 2V2.5L require compared to say a moderately modified 2L four?

The reason I ask is because a present I have a heavy duty 4 core Austin 1800 radiator cooling the 4 and it does an admirable job, even on 40 degC plus days, but upgrading to the V6 I'm afraid that it may not cope.

The cooling area of the Austin radiator is quite small, 360 x 360mm, 50mm thick with staggered cores and I don't have the room for a larger unit.
Brett
sh0rtlife
Verde
Verde

Post by sh0rtlife »

can you make some more room...i mean look at what the guys running v8's are running and start there...if you'd like i can get you the measurements off my gtv6 in the morning....its a fairly wide rad but not very tall
bcal
Gold
Gold

Post by bcal »

Cheers mate.
I really can't go any wider than what I have but maybe 50mm taller, no more.
The Austin is a very efficient radiator as they were mounted sideways and therefore didn't get a lot of airflow. They were used a lot in racing many years ago (the radiators not Austin 1800s :wink: )

I guess what I'd like to know is. Is the GTV6 2.5 radiator much bigger/thicker the the GTV4?
Maybe someone here has been crazy enough to try a GTV4 rad with the 2.5 and found that it ran just a little hot but didn't turn into a kettle.
If that's the case then the Austin would probably be ok.
Brett
sh0rtlife
Verde
Verde

Post by sh0rtlife »

well a milano rad is 500x430 and only 4.5 thick...and they dont seem all that efficient to me...i think a gtv6 rad is a little shorter in height
Rookie ROX
Gold
Gold

Post by Rookie ROX »

I'll chime in and say that my mildly modified 2.5L has never had overheating problems since I've had it over the past 3 or so years. It's using a stock radiator and fan. The only thing I did was have it sent away to be cleaned when I initially got the car on the road - But it's quite happily coped with the past few summers of 40 degree + temperatures. The only other thing I have done is wire in a fan temperature controller that allows me to remotely set the temperature that the fan turns on - It was simply to allow me to rely on something more accurate than the standard temp sensor though.

ROCK ON
R~R