Terry Johnston
Gold
Gold

Broken Water Pump Bolt

Post by Terry Johnston »

I'm replacing my water pump on my 83 gtv6 (also doing the cam belt and tensioner) due to leakage. In the process of taken one of the bolts off securing the pump to the block it snapped. Anyone solved this one before? Any suggestions? After getting the pump out it appears that about 3/8" of the bolt remnant is above the block. I maybe able to apply heat there. Does that make sense? Don't think there are any fuel lines in the vicinity.Terry
Terry
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

This won't be a fun one. I have had this happen. drill it and use an easy out. Or if you don't want to spend all day doing that put it back together less that one bolt. That's what the pros do.
Daniel
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Daniel »

I've also had this one happen but with less bolt sticking out.

I centre punched the bolt, drilled down the centre of it with a fine bit, redrilled with a 5.2mm bit (the correct size for M6x1 tapping) and then cleaned it out using a spiral fluted tap. Original threads in perfect condition. It took a while though.

Good luck !

D
Terry Johnston
Gold
Gold

Broken Bolt Fixed

Post by Terry Johnston »

Well got the bolt out! Tried using penetratin oil and heat in conjunction with vice grips on the exposed portion. No luck! Finally, I drilled a hole in it after removing the radiator to get more access. I then took a punch that my grandfather made probably 80 years ago and was able to chip the remnants out. The punch is made out of really hardened steel and did the job. The threads are fine in the hole so I won't have to use a helicoil! Lucked out! Terry
Terry