jrreeve
Gold
Gold

Heater Valve Pic's

Post by jrreeve »

Hey all,
I need a picture of the correct heater valve for a 84 Gtv-6 with A/C. Can someone post a picture or two of it for me? Or point me in the correct direction here? I'm doing a little investigating and need a photo.

Thanks,
Rob
84 GTV-6 (Saved!)
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

Rob the following is a picture of what many current GTV6 heater valves look like ! ie broken flange.If you can make any headway sourcing a replacement you're a better man than me ! This image is missing the metal plate which is normally attached which fastens the end of the cable to the valve.
Attachments
HeaterValve.JPG
HeaterValve.JPG (9.43 KiB) Viewed 14695 times
jrreeve
Gold
Gold

Post by jrreeve »

Excellent!!!
Mottic
Silver
Silver

Post by Mottic »

You beat me to it Murray, well done.

jr - I've got more if you need them.
Ryan
'84 GTV6
'91 164S x2
Hippo58
Silver
Silver

Post by Hippo58 »

Hi All.

Here are the two types of heater valves I know (are there any more?). In the third pic the left hand valve is from my '84 GTV6 (parts car. R.I.P. :cry: ) and the right is from my '81 GTV6 (currently removing the rust behind the dash!)

Murray, as you can see my valve is broken a bit different! (2nd pic). After reading all the cautions in this site about how gentle you have to be when you take that devil thingy out, I almost used cotton buds to unscrew the flange! When I FINALLY did, I was really happy! But not for long! I tried REALLY gently to pull the other end out of the hose and.... SNAP! It seems that somebody had put some sort of glue there... :evil:

Now I will try to do some mods so I can fit the other valve there. The flange is a bit bigger but that is the least.

Those valves are one crap piece of engineering. I don't understand why they had to make it SO huge. Together with the other AC connections they stick out in the passenger space as a bloody alien... At least the non AC cars have a smaller and better heater valve, and the area is better covered with the different console.

Take a look at the 1st pic. Does everything look allright? Do all these spiral- spagetti heat pipes on the valves really do something?

Anyway. Nuff for now!

Take care.

Petros.

P.S. Both cars are RHD UK spec.
Attachments
Left '84 non AC, Right '81 AC (broken!)
Left '84 non AC, Right '81 AC (broken!)
PC040008.JPG (204.64 KiB) Viewed 14645 times
Broken valve close-up
Broken valve close-up
PC040010.JPG (189.47 KiB) Viewed 14644 times
The pipe complex!
The pipe complex!
PC040007.JPG (179.01 KiB) Viewed 14644 times
ingegnere
Gold
Gold

Post by ingegnere »

Hi!

Last year I bought an AC heater box on Ebay from California. I only realized the broken valve when it arrived.

Hippo
What you have attached, the other valve, is from a NON AC equipped model. It won't fit, I' ve tried.

I' ve also tried to fabricate a new connection to the valve made from copper by welding. (Mine is broken as Murray's does.)
But BE AWARE OF THIS! I had sealing problems, and once at hot engine, coolant was sprayed on my passenger's leg! Was not a happy moment. (No injury happeded at least).

But now I think I've found the "ultimate soluton".:-) The heater valve of the '82-'84 non AC ALFETTA SEDAN is THE SAME! Minor difference appears at the top where the rubber hose connects, since on the Alfetta it is not straight but bended 90 degrees.

I haven't made the replacement yet, but I believe it can be done easily without any major problems. Maybe the whole valve unit sould be rotated a little together with the pipe of the radiator to let the rubber hose slide into the firewall.

I will try to attach some pics.
'The GTV': '83 GTV6; (summer)
' Mr Brown': '82 Alfetta 2000L; (family car)
'The Little Red': '79 Alfasud 1.3 Super; (under restoration)
Michael
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Michael »

Knowing that the Alfa valve in my car is pretty old now (and new ones tough to come by), I installed a secondary heater valve from, I think, a VW, out in the engine bay, inline in the standard hose which feeds the heater valve. In summer (or when going to the track), I shut the valve so that I have a fail-proof system to avoid coolant spraying into the cabin. I also reasoned that if it fails in winter, I can just close the valve and then still be able to get home. I can post some pics if anyone is interested.
Michael
1981 GTV6
ingegnere
Gold
Gold

Post by ingegnere »

Here are the pics of the Alfetta valve.
I think it perfectly fits to the GTV unit.
Attachments
PICT0163.JPG
PICT0163.JPG (36.67 KiB) Viewed 14497 times
PICT0164.JPG
PICT0164.JPG (36.6 KiB) Viewed 14503 times
PICT0165.JPG
PICT0165.JPG (42.75 KiB) Viewed 14501 times
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

If you have the heater box out of the car there are a couple things you can and probably should do. Take out the heater core and have a radiator shop attach standard 1/2 inch fittings to it. Then run 1/2 inch heater line from the heater core into the engine bay and hook it up to an underhood heater valve from your local auto parts store. The heater will work a lot better and you won't have to fear a heater valve failure any more. An underhood heater valve can easily be connected to the stock heater control on the heater box so this will look stock.

Next, ever notice the heat from the driver's side outlet is colder then the other? That's because the fan on the driver's side suck air around the side of the heater core. Look at the picture of the open heater box and you will see what I mean. Block that area off between the heater core and the driver's side of the box. That really improves the heating.

Those two things make a huge difference in how well the heater works. If you are really serious about heater power, like my dad is. You can do what he did which is to make floor outlets for the heater driven by a radiator fan! That's a lot of work, but it really puts out heat!
shures
Gold
Gold

Post by shures »

Greg,

How do you switch the A/C when using a heater valve under the hood? I've thought about adding a rocker in the dash.

Also, I don't quite get what you are blocking in the heater box. I think the photo near the beginning of this post is from a RH drive car? Is it obvious when you get the heater out?

[quote="Greg Gordon"]If you have the heater box out of the car there are a couple things you can and probably should do.
Scott Shure
Ellicott City, Md
85 GTV-6
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

Ok so does this mean that our proverbial problem is easily solved ?Are Alfetta heater valves readily available ? It seems to me that if the fittings work then the vertical orientation of the valve body is preferable to the horizontal GTV6 valve a s there is plenty of space there.
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
ingegnere
Gold
Gold

Post by ingegnere »

So, I'm not as sure now as I was yesterday. :?

I checked the valve, and at first sight it seems that there's a small (approx. 1 mm) difference between the Alfetta and GTV valve connection. I will take out the box soon and check it carefully to find a solution.

What I'm sure about that in Hungary (and maybe in the rest of Europe) Alfetta Sedan parts are mor available then GTV's.

I will inform you soon.
ingegnere
Gold
Gold

Post by ingegnere »

Yesterday I've installed the Alfetta heater valve. It needed modification unfortunately, not a simple bolt-on unit, but it can be carried out with a dremel tool, or any other. If it works perfect, I'll inform you and post pics.
Terry Johnston
Gold
Gold

Heater Valve

Post by Terry Johnston »

ingegnere,

Wonder if you have had time to document your GTV valve conversion with pictures and commentary. Is the Alfetta heater valve still available new? Terry
Terry
Octopussy
Silver
Silver

Post by Octopussy »

Hiya

I have installed a second hand Maserati bi-turbo(I was told) heater valve in my 84 GTV6 and It works alright so far. It looks very similar to the non AC gtv6 valve in the above pics.