Hippo58
Silver
Silver

Post by Hippo58 »

Hi Everybody!

It seems that I somehow lost track of this topic and I didn't follow your replies since my last post.

Anyway.

Greg, thanks a lot for sharing one more your experiences for these cars with us! Radiator fan for floor outlets??? :) I got what you suggest about blocking the driver's side area in the heater box. :wink: Although since my car is RHD it is the passenger's side. Just not to confuse anybody!

While my GTV6 is waiting patiently for me to find time to put it back on the road, yesterday I went to a local scrap yard and found an under bonnet (hood) heater valve that with minor mods I believe it will fit just fine! It belongs to a Rover (can't remember which model) and it comes with a nice plate that will help. I am planning to go grab a couple more to have as a spare and also to use as a manual AAV (Aux Air Valve).

Nice fail-safe option there Michael!

Shures, I don't understand how the heater valve is associated with the on-off function of the AC...

So ingegnere how is your H.Valve mod doing?

Octopussy, did that valve bolt right on or did it need any mods?

I asked before but got no answer... What exactly does this thin long copper tubing doing in the original heater valve and also in the heater core? I quess it has something to do with "sensing" the temperature? What's its use?

I will post post pictures when I'll tackle the job. In the meantime here is my GTV6 jacked up and the rover heater valve.
Attachments
My GTV6 waiting... not for long!
My GTV6 waiting... not for long!
P4070025.JPG (188 KiB) Viewed 5500 times
Rover heater valve 1
Rover heater valve 1
P4070027.JPG (220.29 KiB) Viewed 5500 times
Rover heater valve 2
Rover heater valve 2
P4070028.JPG (201.31 KiB) Viewed 5500 times
Petros. Transaxleista!
shures
Gold
Gold

Heater Valve to A/C link

Post by shures »

There is a switch located on the bracket that the control cable attaches to. Moving the temprature control to full cold switches the compressor on.
Scott Shure
Ellicott City, Md
85 GTV-6
ingegnere
Gold
Gold

Post by ingegnere »

Sorry Guys!

I've completely forgotten to post pictures about the conversation. :oops:

Approx. a week after my last post in this topic I've installed the Alfetta valve, and I can happily say that it performs great!
Some minor modifications were necessary, but it could be carried out easily.

-The first is the arm that makes the piston move has to be replaced with the GTV unit (or simply just turned around, since they situated symmetrical.
-The second is the metal sheet that holds the wire housing in place. Thats only a 4 mm bolt, and a simple bolt-on process.
-The third is the connection to the heater. The distance of the bolts on the GTV heater is closer than on the Alfetta valve. What sould be done is to make a little (some mms) offset of the holes on the valve with a cilindrical rasp or a dremel tool.

As a gasket I've used the rubber one from the Alfetta, and it seals good. There is no leakage.
Attachments
This is the valve from the Alfetta Sedan. Note the difference in the arm' position and the wire housing holder.
This is the valve from the Alfetta Sedan. Note the difference in the arm' position and the wire housing holder.
heaterprev.jpg (36.67 KiB) Viewed 5342 times
Here you can see that the valve's seat is a bit larger than the one on the GTV heater. The difference is not exreme so it can be modified with simple hand tools. For turning or changing the arm the factory pin has to be damaged. Here it is substituted wit
Here you can see that the valve's seat is a bit larger than the one on the GTV heater. The difference is not exreme so it can be modified with simple hand tools. For turning or changing the arm the factory pin has to be damaged. Here it is substituted wit
heatervalve1.jpg (100.99 KiB) Viewed 5342 times
A longer hose is necessary since the head is turned 90 degrees downwards. The Hoses of the AC are not connected yet, but there is still enough place to accomodate.
A longer hose is necessary since the head is turned 90 degrees downwards. The Hoses of the AC are not connected yet, but there is still enough place to accomodate.
heatervalve2.jpg (110.34 KiB) Viewed 5342 times
'The GTV': '83 GTV6; (summer)
' Mr Brown': '82 Alfetta 2000L; (family car)
'The Little Red': '79 Alfasud 1.3 Super; (under restoration)
shures
Gold
Gold

Alfetta Heater Valve

Post by shures »

Ingegnere,

Good information.

One concern is the kink visible in the hose at the bottom of its loop. It will eventually fail there although it may be years in the future. Inserting a spring inside the hose would probably stop this as would a larger loop.

Your last photo shows the brass colored ring that I cut apart to graft the alfetta valve on to the GTV6 base to retain the proper orientation of the outlet. I also drilled out the shaft that holds the arm in place and was able to install the old arm and the temp sensor. Actually, I left the sensor from the original valve in the car and will capture it in the new valve before I assemble the old arm to it.

I will post pictures sometime soon.

You are way ahead of me though because my valve has been on the workbench for over a year!
Scott Shure
Ellicott City, Md
85 GTV-6
ingegnere
Gold
Gold

Post by ingegnere »

Thanks Shures,

and you're right. Where the crossectional area decreases in the tube, sometimes I hear the water "floating" inside. :? So I assume this as a temporary solution, I will change the tubing when I install the hoses of the AC.
But on the other hand, I use heating only in March and Sept, because in winter it's laying around in a garage.

What you're carrying out is interesting. I was thinking of the same, but mine GTV valave was broken at that 'useful' part, where it connects to the heater. And I was also afraid of casing problems. Can you solve it securely?
The arm and temp sensor is used form the GTV as well on mine, at least because I did't want to dismantle the whole heaterbox to take out the thermo wiring. :roll:

Waiting for your pic, and good luck. :wink:
'The GTV': '83 GTV6; (summer)
' Mr Brown': '82 Alfetta 2000L; (family car)
'The Little Red': '79 Alfasud 1.3 Super; (under restoration)