4SFED4
Gold
Gold

Alfetta w/AC and GTV6 Heater Valves

Post by 4SFED4 »

A little while ago I noticed some coolant drip, drip, driping in the passenger footwell. Maybe 12 drops every 20 or 30 minutes. Upon closer inspection I noticed the plastic housing had and ever-so-small crack near the flange that attaches it to the heater core.

Knowing these valves were no longer available I put a call into Jim Steck at AutoComponenti. In little time a prototype had been developed that uses an existing (and readily avalable) Alfa heater control valve and custom bracket/adapter.

The prototype has been on my car for about a month now. It simply bolts up to the existing flange on the heater core and uses the stock heater hose on the barb side. The only modification is to the heater valve control cable which is shortened by about 6 inches.

The setup allows for the control lever to work within its full range, meaning full left is off and full right is fully open and the operaton is smooth; smoother and more positive than the original IMO. And, if yours was like mine, the original valve would hit the parcel shelf near full open. This valve/bracket combo solves that issue.

Jim has already begun coordinating a production run as International Auto has shown some interest in retailing them. I also understand from International Auto that the airconditioned Spiders use the same assembly as the Alfetta/GTV6's though I have not tried fititng one.

Finally, a solution to the out-of-production Alfetta/GTV6 heater valve!
Attachments
Heater-valve-combo.jpg
Heater-valve-combo.jpg (76.52 KiB) Viewed 6777 times
Last edited by 4SFED4 on Fri May 13, 2005 10:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
DaveH
Gold
Gold

Post by DaveH »

Brian,

How do I get hold of Jim?

I am about to take my heater core out. I haven't disconnected the valve yet, but I am confident that it will break. Cotton buds or not.

Dave
4SFED4
Gold
Gold

Post by 4SFED4 »

All of his contact info is here:

http://www.autocomponenti.com/
gingerbreadman01
Silver
Silver

Post by gingerbreadman01 »

Brian, I would love one of those heater valves! The site you listed no longer exists. Could you be of any help? Peter Jeney