Terry Johnston
Gold
Gold

Unkown Water Pump Gasket

Post by Terry Johnston »

I am looking at the gaskets I got for my GTV6 water pump. I have two regular gaskets that I understand. One goes between the pump and block and the other goes between the pump and thermostat housing. The one that has me stumped appears to be made out of metal. When I took the water pump and thermo housing apart I don't remember seeing a similiar gasket. It is called WATER PUMP UNION GASKET V6 and the part number on the package is 60615713. When I took the pump off I did not see a similar metal gasket. Terry Johnston
Terry
Scott in MN
Silver
Silver

Post by Scott in MN »

I just replaced my water pump and there were only the two gaskets that you mention.
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Why bother with a gasket when you have acess to the best sealer ever made-Loctite gray silicon-I dont use gaskets on the sump,w/pump/thermo housings or any other places except of course headgaskets...It gaurentees a seal-period.Some German gray silicon also good-but the made in USAis best-dow corning I think...

Barry
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
ALFA GTV6 GP
Platinum
Platinum

Post by ALFA GTV6 GP »

Check this out!
Air to Water intercooler kit for 1.8 turbo 40 litres per minute rated to 300 hp .
what work would be required to fit a 2.0 twinspark 75 motor?
Thanks John
Attachments
0c_1_b.jpg
0c_1_b.jpg (31.29 KiB) Viewed 12583 times
Alfa 75 3.0 qv potenziata (Black)
Alfa GTV6 3.0 (Silver)
Alfa GTV6 GP 3.0 (Red)
Alfa GTV6 GP (Concourse)
Alfa GTV6 SA 3.3 AHMotorsport (Grey) 226.3 Bhp atw
Alfa GTV6 3.0 (Dark Grey) 200+ Bhp atw
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

uhhm, I am not sure I follow how we got to intercoolers from gaskets and sealers.
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Yup...............
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
ALFA GTV6 GP
Platinum
Platinum

Post by ALFA GTV6 GP »

OK I got flamed !
Sorry Terry.
I thought Barry answered it "Why bother with a gasket when you have acess to the best sealer ever made-Loctite gray silicon-I dont use gaskets on the sump,w/pump/thermo housings or any other places except of course headgaskets...It gaurentees a seal-period.Some German gray silicon also good-but the made in USA is best-dow corning I think... "
I posted under the last cooling system thread I should have started a new one .
Alfa 75 3.0 qv potenziata (Black)
Alfa GTV6 3.0 (Silver)
Alfa GTV6 GP 3.0 (Red)
Alfa GTV6 GP (Concourse)
Alfa GTV6 SA 3.3 AHMotorsport (Grey) 226.3 Bhp atw
Alfa GTV6 3.0 (Dark Grey) 200+ Bhp atw
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

There's an excellent RTV sealant for all kinds of car applications, Dow Corning 3145RTV, grey in color. Its good from -65*C to 300*C and one welcome benefit is it does not smell (no acetic vapor release). Its also primarily recommended for electronics applications, since the no-acid feature does not corrode component terminals.
Again, as Barry said, I only use factory gaskets in heads, valve covers and oil pans (this last one could probably do without a gasket, but there are other considerations too, like oil pickup clearance for example.
Speaking of RTV, I would like to add something to a recent discussion about rear bearing caps and their rubber plugs: I never use those rubber plugs. After torquing the cap in place, I inject RTV in the adjacent holes using the sealant gun nozzle pressed on the lips, until it squeezes out of the cap/block mating surfaces. Watch for sealant squeezing out the rear where the crank seal goes. A prerequisite for all this is to have all cap/block surfaces spottless clean and dry, or the sealant will not adhere properly. When this procedure is done, then the crank seal goes in place, after coating the ribbed outside surface with a thin film of sealant also.
Jim K.
joey
Gold
Gold

Post by joey »

yeppo it is dow corning... there are quite a few that'll be ok for the application, the high temp gray is #3145.
joey
Gold
Gold

Post by joey »

ahh u bastard jim. beat me by 2 mins !
"Fun is an unintended, unforeseen, and usually undignified consequence of life."
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Well Joey, all is not lost! :wink: Good guys finish last! :lol:
(Thats how the saying goes anyway!)
Jim K.
joey
Gold
Gold

Post by joey »

but... but... i'm sick of always being the nice guy :cry:

aagh shove that sealant where there's a massive clearance !! :evil:
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Yeah, but remember, first we have to clean out with a wire brush and paint-thinner...OUCH!!! :shock: :lol:
Jim K.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

why would you want an intercooler on a T.Spark engine?
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

We need the intercooler to stay on topic..... ;)
Dr. Alban