JasonS
Silver
Silver

Towing a GTV6 with a car dolly

Post by JasonS »

Hello,

Is it safe for the transaxle to tow a gtv6 with a car dolly for about 30 miles. The car dolly suspends the front wheels while the rears roll upon the road. I assume if you keep it in neutral it should be OK??? Thanks in advance.

Jason
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

You are better advised to put the rear tires on the dolly. Make sure that the front wheels are straight and that the steering wheel locks. I have towed my Milanos about 4000 miles in this fashion
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

The GTV6/Milano will be just fine with the rear wheels on the road and the car in tow. The design of the transaxle allows for lubrication under these conditions. I am 100% certain of this. There are some cars where this is not the case. It all has to do with the position of the input and output shafts. The output shaft spins when the car is rolling. If it's positioned above the level of oil in the transaxle/tranmission (like is a Fiat 124) it will burn up in towing because it relies on the spinning input shaft to circulate oil to it.

On the GTV6/Milano the output shaft is IN the oil.
JasonS
Silver
Silver

Post by JasonS »

Thanks Greg! As always, I appreciate the logistical explanation.

Jason
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

hmm,
Maybe check to make sure that there is plenty of oil in that gearbox. Then again, it isnt as though you are towing it very far.
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

By coincidence, I just towed my GTV6 out of storage. I went 32 miles with the front wheels on a tow dolly...car in neutral...plenty of lube in the gearcase...No problems (except the salt on the road and my hose froze at home so I have not been able to clean the car)