Sporttunergtv6
Platinum
Platinum

Poly Flex discs

Post by Sporttunergtv6 »

Hey guys,
I remember on the old forum there was a lot of talk about poly flex discs instead of those ridiculous expensive NOS rubber ones. What was the verdict? Can all three be purchased? Is it a direct swap or are there mods involved? I wouldnt even think about it but i practically have the whole drive train out... and i mean the whole damn thing so short of ordering a custom alum shaft alla jesse james style i figure if it is possible just switch it to poly jobs...
thanks,
Vittorio
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Hi Vittorio, I wish someone would make those, but so far no one has.
Peter A
Silver
Silver

Post by Peter A »

OK, for the record I'm in for two complete sets. Don't even need them now but we know that is only transient.
Sporttunergtv6
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Sporttunergtv6 »

That is the enthusiasm I like to see! I also am in for two sets when and if they magically decide to make themselves ; )
SamW
Platinum
Platinum

Post by SamW »

Count me in for two sets, I feel the same way! I guess we need to make sure they are balanced...
junglejustice
Verde
Verde

Post by junglejustice »

Bad news quote from an experienced manufacturer of these parts...

"As for making drive shaft parts this is not an area that we want to get involved in, as it is not our main product focus. We have tried this in the past with limited success, the main reason is that PU will generate heat due to Hysteresis and eventually fail, rubber tolerates this better , so unfortunately it is not an area that we will develop."

Sounds like "hysteria" to me... :lol:
...to Alfa, or not to Alfa? That is the question...
joey
Gold
Gold

Post by joey »

well thats true, they are plastics not elastic.. but ! as i said earlier in the other thread we dont want them solid, not even stocks are...

anyway, the stock rubber is trash and is what is leading to deteriation. i'm sure a decent modern guibo can be made, but it wouldnt be solid PU thats for sure.
joey
Gold
Gold

Post by joey »

on the other hand, the first line of your quote is spot on JJ.

Thats the reason right there IMO, we need to find someone experienced, competent and most of all willing.
"Fun is an unintended, unforeseen, and usually undignified consequence of life."
MD
Verde
Verde

driveshaft

Post by MD »

Frankly, I think Alfa have gone way more than necessary to cushion the transaxle from drive shock by putting three donuts on in the first place. One is more than enough. Lots of vehicles use just one with much bigger horsepower.

So if there has to be a least one, the rest of the driveshaft needs a redesign to accommodate these changes.

At the moment I am thinking this is what I am going to concentrate on getting some work done on.

Starting at the motor end:

Direct couple with a CV joint, slip yoke at centre bearing, CV joint or Uni joint at the other end plus a donut encased in the metal shroud (or something better)and connect to gearbox input shaft.

I still think a two piece shaft is better all round to cater for engine and transmission movements even though it is harder to balance.

Placing the donut(whatever) at the gearbox end only makes for easy replacement if it needs to be without having to take the shaft out.

Anybody have the specifications for the exact length of the complete shaft?
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse