MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

...and here is the actual selector shaft components themselves. The stainless steel hydraulic tube which is tough AND RIGID, courtesy of Daniel.

Man, that guy knows transaxles..

The mini universal joints are ex VolksWagen steering column.
The bearings are "Plumber's Blocks".

Have fun...
Attachments
Shifter 3.jpg
Shifter 3.jpg (23.55 KiB) Viewed 3090 times
Shifter 2.jpg
Shifter 2.jpg (25.52 KiB) Viewed 3089 times
Shifter 1.jpg
Shifter 1.jpg (34.49 KiB) Viewed 3091 times
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
sh0rtlife
Verde
Verde

Post by sh0rtlife »

very impresive MD...but i still have to wonder...wouldnt cable have been simpler?

powderhound yes that diagram looks spot on to my measurements

in the next few days im going to start on my cable setup.....time to go hit up the wreckers and find a shifter i like...likely a dodge neon for its simplicity and parts avalibility......besides i took one and made it a short shift for my 89 5spd turbo caravan and love the hell out of it
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Shortlife.

Don't let my efforts stop you from doing your own thing. That's how we get to share NEW ideas on the site. Let's not all follow the same sheep dog.

Having said that, my forcast is that if you cable, the feel will still be vague and imprecise because it is the nature of cable. So if motion without feel is your thing, I'll leave you with it.

BTW : the actual shifter you see in my set up IS from a Toyota cable but that's where the story ends and solid materials come in.

Cheers, MD
sh0rtlife
Verde
Verde

Post by sh0rtlife »

nothing will stop me lol...its VERY nice to see other ideas to bounce off of to fine tune ideas and designs

i will say this tho..after chopping the ball and adding 1 inch to the bottom on a dodge neon shifter for my turbo minivan i can actualy feel what the trans is doing thru the cable setup...maybe the feel is all about the style of shifter and the throw of the arms??

i do see your point about linkage "should" always have more feel to it

i know how to "shrink" your design to take less floor space ..useing multiple steering u-joints..imo what you have there is a VERY smart design and actualy has me re-thinking stuff a bit...

u-joint off the input to a 45 deg angle to the tunnel then another u-joint 45 deg to square it with the tunnel on top of the tunnel

with my project im fighting with the selector shaft actualy being under the right rear corner of the drivers seat so i MUST have something slim and compact
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

u-joint off the input to a 45 deg angle to the tunnel then another u-joint 45 deg to square it with the tunnel on top of the tunnel
If you are thinking along these lines, it doesn't work very well. Wants to balk second gear. Used it for a while but abandoned it for a completely different set up. I can see the obvious faults now that I have gone through all the changes but as my first attempt, I was just hoping for the best..

Note the relocated handbrake to be able to do this. This was a bonus. It's the first handbrake on a GTV that actually works (well). :D It's off a Mitsubishi.
Attachments
First shifter protoype 2.jpg
First shifter protoype 2.jpg (26.04 KiB) Viewed 3045 times
First shifter protoype 1.jpg
First shifter protoype 1.jpg (23.17 KiB) Viewed 3044 times
sh0rtlife
Verde
Verde

Post by sh0rtlife »

yeah thats more or less what i was thinking in my head...seeing it in place i can understand its faults...funny how thinks work in the brain but dont work as smooth always when actualy built...course building some of our ideas is half the fun isnt it?

whats wrong with the "stock" gtv6 hand brake..mine works better than ANY other hand brake ive ever been around..3-4 clicks and it will hold you on STEEP inclines..and ive got ZERO drag on the brakes(lean on the car with it off and the car rolls on a level surface)

back to linkages.....
something ive considered is going "twin" linkage..1 linkages for right-left one linkage for forward-back....sure a little over complicated but would allow for very fine tunement of the travels