Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Greg,

You're correct. Plus, my car's undercarriage is relatively dry and has no rust, caked on gunk or other nasty stuff. The center exhaust comes off in 5 minutes (all flanged) :)
Dr. Alban
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Exactly. When you get a car that has exhaust flanges that are rusted together, and bolts that have more rust than metal, this can turn into a pretty ugly job.

I am not saying that's the case with the car in question here. I am saying that sometimes it's quite possible and reasonable for a clutch job to take a thousand dollars in labor.

Of course I strongly suggest getting a disk from Andy and following the procedure on my site, this saves a lot of money and results in a clutch that's as good as new.

Greg
badger77
Silver
Silver

Post by badger77 »

The car in question was never winter driven. It has no rust, the body is in excellent condition. Well the paint faided a bit and has couple of chips. I think the overal price is a bit high still. The same mechanic tried to charge me for a water pump $200. I was able to find one new, for $77. Big difference... Actually I did not find place that would sell it for more than $100. I say it is Monopoly, there is no one else in my city that specializes in these cars...

thank you a lot ... for all the comments...
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

It very well might be that he is charging too much. If the car is dry underneath and nothing is stuck or damaged, I would think it would be a 5 hour job tops.
badger77
Silver
Silver

Post by badger77 »

Thank you, I am not sure what I woud do without this forum. Ok, I found a place here in Ottawa that maybe able to rebuild the clutch, for 360$. I have a good mechanic that will install it for another 200 bucks. This saves me 1500 dolars if it works out...

Thank you again, for all the ideas.
jjeffries
Silver
Silver

Post by jjeffries »

what is the difference in terms of time/effort to replace the clutch between old style linkage and newer style (isostatic?) linkage? The latter is more difficult, correct?
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

No material difference.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

I remember a certain crosspin that is a b*tch to remove in the newer linkage. Other then that it should be the same.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!