Turin
Silver
Silver

Busted linkage?

Post by Turin »

I introduced myself months ago, and I finally got around to having my Balocco shipped to sunny Arizona. The car sat in a garage for 3 years and needs a clutch according to the friend I bought her from. She rolled off of the truck just fine. I think I may have done something stupid. I got in to adjust the ergonomics and couldn't help myself... had to sit in their with my hand on the wheel and play with the shifter. (I did refrain from making vroom vroom noises) She is now stuck in some gear, even though the shifter is in nuetral. The drivers side wheel spins free, the passengers side does not. Tommorow, the plan is to lift the rear off of the ground and take a look. What should I look for?Image
mjr
Platinum
Platinum

Post by mjr »

the stuck wheel, might just be a binding rear caliper, try pulling the handbrake link cable on the calipers manually, give it a good yank, sometimes they dont free off properly or the springs get weak, and leave both or one wheel binding, this also confuses the open diff. happened on mine whilst running up on stands, and it got stuck in 2nd gear too, just needed handbrake freeing off and a spirited shove on the shifter, never happened again since. I put it down to the diff, as it made some strange rattling sounds from the diff area whilst it was spinning one wheel only. no idea what caused 2nd gear to stick or if it was related.
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

If the air is humid and the car doesn't get used for a long time, the clutch facings can get corroded enough to cause the driven plate to bind. This will cause a problem with shifting.

The cure is to depress the clutch and do a couple of short burn outs if possible which will usually free up up the driven plate. Careful not to be too exuberent with the revs as you may shred some donuts while you are at it.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
mjr
Platinum
Platinum

Post by mjr »

any excuse for a good thrashing eh md! :D
Turin
Silver
Silver

Post by Turin »

Thanks guys. crawled underneath and took a looksee. It was the passenger side E-brake binding up. Pried her loose. :D Thanks about the clutch sticking info. The previous owner told me that's why he quit driving her (as infrequent as that was) She'd sit for two weeks and it'd stick. Seems some short burnouts in my near future :D
Turin
Silver
Silver

Post by Turin »

Thanks guys. crawled underneath and took a looksee. It was the passenger side E-brake binding up. Pried her loose. :D Thanks about the clutch sticking info. The previous owner told me that's why he quit driving her (as infrequent as that was) She'd sit for two weeks and it'd stick. Seems some short burnouts in my near future :D