erikswede
Silver
Silver

Alternative gearbox for 2.5 or 3.0

Post by erikswede »

Does anyone know of a gearbox that bolts onto a 2.5 or 3.0 for a front mounted application?
I have read threads about a ZF transmission that was modified to fit. In South Africa I think. Do we know which one?

I have a few projects which will leave me with a spare engine that would need a front mounted gear box.

Any Clues?
enzo
Platinum
Platinum

Re: Alternative gearbox for 2.5 or 3.0

Post by enzo »

the alfa 6 "sei" gearbox....good luck finding one...
erikswede
Silver
Silver

Post by erikswede »

Duh!

You are correct, but your answer did not help much!

There are brilliant guys out there doing these conversions all around the world. One guy in S.Africa that I read about somewhere on this site, then there is the Super Spider in California that has the 2.5 in an old spider!
We need to get their info out on this site.

Cheers!
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

The box is the m3/m5 6 speeder.Don't expect a straight bolt up..never done the conversion myself. Best sorted with the engine out and try the match up then. Adjust the bodywork to suit.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

there is only one gearbox that just bolts on, the Sei ZF one. All others will have to use an adapterplate of some kind ( or a completely new bellhousing).

You can use the Sei bellhousing ( if you can find one...) and then make an adapterplate to use a 265 Getrag gearbox from a bmw 535i for example. or you can make an adapter that goes onto the engine and then you bolt the gearbox onto that.

Easiest is offcourse the Sei box. I'm glad i have two lying around to use on my car ( and no i don't plan on selling any... :oops: ).
Drive it like you stole it...
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Could I suggest posting a photo of the Sei ZF gearbox and a close up of the bellhousing for erikswede and also for everybody else who has never seen one..
Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

I'll take a few pictures for you all. :wink: Just have to dig them out from under the workbench. :(
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

The six sedan gearbox is rather a crappy affair. I would rather use the BMW Getrag 5 speed long ratio or 5 speed dogleg short ratio box.
They center up on the six sedan bell housing but do need a 10mm adapter plate as the gearbox input shaft is 10mm too long.
I would also not use the six sedan differential as it weighs a ton. Nothing like an Audi or BMW aluminium full ls diff.
BMW E36 is perfect.
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
erikswede
Silver
Silver

Post by erikswede »

Excellent!
That's what I am talking about! Great info.
Is the 5 speed BMW box the Getrag 265? What is the number on the M3/M5 box?
If you could post some pix would be Very Helpful.
Thank you so very much.
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Ive only ever used the BMW E28 , E34 535i Manual box. We got a special E28 535i that was introduced to try (snigger....) fight of the GTV6 30l in racing here.This BMW was fitted with the shorter ratio box and had the dogleg shift with first gear left and down.
I personally prefer tha std. long , normal throw Getrag Box.
I dont have any numbers for you.
Dawie De Viliiers did a few with M3 3.2 6 speed boxes as well as BMW 540 gearboxes.
The 540 box weighs as much as the six sedan diff again. Very strong but not my choice.

I do have pics somewhere between 5 odd computers and will look for them.
The black Giulietta Turbo is fitted with a six sedan bell housing and box, six sedan anchor..sorry,diff in the back. The six sedan diff is bullet proof and can handle anything turbo you can throw at it. It just weighs sooo much ! Then again so can the E36 diff. Theyre pretty much all the same from the mundane E36 318 I to the M3.Some are LS where the others are not fitted with LS diffs.

My suggestion ? Six sedan bell housing mated to a E34 Getrag 535i box, back to an E36 LS diff from the 328I.
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

here some pics from a ZF box and bellhousing...

Barry, what is so crappy about the ZF box from the Sei? The diff sure is heavy :( ... maybe Alfa did this to keep the weight distribution the same as the transaxle cars... :wink:

Does the ZF in the Giulietta Turbo handle the torque well? Are the Sei diffs fitted with a lsd as standard?
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Dogleg box?

Drove an E30 M3 on the track this summer with one, damn it was difficult to keep track of the gears. It shouldn't be but I was confused to say the least. :?
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

you get used to it real quick... a friend of mine has a mercedes 190 2.3 16v which also has a dogleg gearbox, i can get in and drive it around without any problems. guess that is mostly because i am really focussed on the car and getting it sideways... 8) when you're a bit distracted it is more difficult, you keep trying to put the stick into a gear that doesn't exist. :roll:
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Giuliettaevo2

Thanks for putting up the photos of this gearbox. Never seen one before. I don't know how well it shifts or if they are good ratios but I sure do like the shift pattern specifically for my racing application where the circuit requires a lot of 2~3 gear work. To do this shift would almost be as good (if not better than) a sequencial shifter. oooohhhyeah !

...welcome back Bazza .
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Hey Ozz ! Been into Africa a bit for work...and renovated the house so no internet ! 8) 8)

Remco,
Driven a Montreal for any period of time? Same gearbox..
gets real tiring and has serious slop in it..It wont stand up to big torque and the lever extension mechanism is the weak part here.
The output side is also rather limited to the sedan stuff but that's not too difficult to convert.
Then we have the gear ratios...Driven a VW Beetle ? Short first gear,looong second gear,short third,short 4th and looong fifth ratio..

The BMW box ratios if I remember correctly were 0.72 5th for the " overdrive" box and 0.85 for the dogleg box..

The six sedan diff is indestructible ! It has a brilliant LS as std. and comes in three ratios.It just is sooo heavy...........
Well,in South Africa at least..

The sedan automatic with carb motor - 10/38
The sedan with manual injection motor-10/41
Then we had an oddball auto fitted with a 10/43 diff.This had injection as well but in all honesty I only came across 2 in all the years..
I used to buy these cars up for the princely sum of R1500.00 10 years ago. Just for the drive trains.

*Remco,You Sir,have a PM !*