j.k.QV
Silver
Silver

Alfa 90 2.0 v6 driveshaft, gearbox

Post by j.k.QV »

Sorry it's not a gtv6, but this is one of the best forums for the transaxle information, so I thought I'd post here.
The thing is I have bought a 90 2.0 v6 and I am now wondering what kind of monster driveshaft it has.
It looks like the front section from a v6 (big guibo on the engine side), then a TS like middle and rear guibo and a gearbox which looks exactly like a 75TS with the push type clutch. Can anyone confirm this is like it is supposed to be, or is it some conversion by some PO?

And yes the car has been in storage for ~10 years, thats why it is so rusty...
Bruce
Gold
Gold

Re: Alfa 90 2.0 v6 driveshaft, gearbox

Post by Bruce »

Has this car got the split plenum? If so, can you post pics? (lots of)
j.k.QV
Silver
Silver

Post by j.k.QV »

Yep. It has the split plenum. The car was in a pretty bad state when I got it. Someone had taken some parts off while it was in storage (for almost 10 years) and taken off the timing belt for some reason (although the owner said the engine was ok, when he "parked" the car in storage).
This is how the engine bay looked when I got the car:

At the moment I'm disassembling the body parts for welding and rust treatment, haven't touched the engine bay yet.
If you need some measurements or detailed pics, I can take them.
I've also taken pictures of the manual supplement for the injection system, it's available here: http://tinyurl.com/2whvo4x
If you're interested about the C.E.M injection there is some info available in craigs 75 manuals.

Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Not only split plenum, but 6-throttles!!! Would be nice to drop a mildly cammed 3.0 in there! But wont; be as sweet as a small bore V6 though
Dr. Alban
gran turismo
Silver
Silver

Post by gran turismo »

That split plenum is really cool! What is the inside diameter of the throttle butterflys and the intake runners?

There is another guy with a 90 (Typhoon90) that might be able to help with the driveshaft.

Jeff
Typhoon90
Gold
Gold

Post by Typhoon90 »

I don't know much about the driveshafts yet, except that mine has a slight noise emanating from it :? . I can tell you that the 90 seems to be most closely related to the 75's (floorpan is IDENTICAL), so I bet you'll find it's all 75 running gear.

Regards, Andrew.
j.k.QV
Silver
Silver

Post by j.k.QV »

The intake manifold pipe inside diameter is 35mm, and I think so are the butterflies. Would that be enough to "feed" a 3liter (with larger injectors maybe)?
The rear "propshaft" section is identical to 2lTS 75. The front section has the larger guibo at the front, which _might_ be the same as a 75v6, but not sure.
Middle guibo looks the same as 75TS visually, but haven't measured it to be certain.
The crankshaft on my cars engine was very hard to turn, so might need a different block in the end (a 164 3liter maybe?), but will show it to a more experienced mechanic first...
gran turismo
Silver
Silver

Post by gran turismo »

35mm should be adequate for a 3.0 (since I think that a 3.0 milano/75 had 34 mm runners) but about 40mm would be ideal. I wonder if the intake runner mounting surfaces on your heads are the same as a 3.0? Did you try to turn the crank with the timing belt disconnected? If so a valve hitting a piston could be preventing it from turning.
j.k.QV
Silver
Silver

Post by j.k.QV »

I opened up valve covers and rotated camshafts to a "safe" position, where none of the valves was open. but the crankshaft turned very slowly anyways.
Here is a pic of the intake runner (hard to tell if it's 35 or 36mm):
xrad
Verde
Verde

Post by xrad »

just a thought, save yourself some scratches and don't turn the crank anymore.

I see the two rear braces between the transaxle mount and the crossmember, nice!
xrad
Verde
Verde

Post by xrad »

what is the redline on the 2.0?
j.k.QV
Silver
Silver

Post by j.k.QV »

Not sure on the red line, but this could answer something: