iachella
Silver
Silver

Selector Rod Centering Spring Broken

Post by iachella »

During the rebuild of my 79 Alfetta gearbox it was determined that my selector rod centering spring is broken. I know the rod is different from different models, so my best bet is to find an Alfetta selector rod with a good spring. Does anyone have one? Anyone with a stuffed transmission they are saving for parts that has one intact?

Other than that, can the spring from another shaft, say a later model be separated from the rod and installed on my rod? If so, I'd be looking for any rod with a good spring on it. That is if the spring is the same.

Here are pics of mine. Thanks for any info or leads.
Attachments
xaxle02a.jpg
xaxle02a.jpg (19.68 KiB) Viewed 5782 times
xaxle01a.jpg
xaxle01a.jpg (22.4 KiB) Viewed 5782 times
Stefano, Concord CA
74 GTV, 79 Alfetta GT
iachella [at] gmail [dot] com
xrad
Verde
Verde

Re: Selector Rod Centering Spring Broken

Post by xrad »

try richard jemison on alfabb
iachella
Silver
Silver

Post by iachella »

It appears he does not have any at this time.
Stefano, Concord CA
74 GTV, 79 Alfetta GT
xrad
Verde
Verde

Post by xrad »

apparently, this is not uncommon. I have heard of this three other times including on this site..

Might have to have one made by machine shop
iachella
Silver
Silver

Post by iachella »

Just to close the loop on this, I was able to find a spare rod with a good spring but other parts were damaged. I brought both to Merrit Carden and he was able to drive out the retaining loop and put the good spring in my rod. It can be done. As I watched him do it, I realized that anyone with good tools and patience can do it. Tap evenly on each of the shafts of the loop. A good strong hit to get it started is needed.

The springs are probably not available new, so keep all spare transmission parts forever. You never know when some little part will be needed.
Stefano, Concord CA
74 GTV, 79 Alfetta GT
WhizzMan
Silver
Silver

Post by WhizzMan »

Gently heating the shaft with a propane torch, while putting a wet cloth on the retaining spring should help it come loose as well I'd reckon?

If really required, there should be metal workers that will be able make a new spring for you. Granted, it would cost an insane amount of money for such a little bit of metal, but finding a new one might also be costly if you have to pay for someone's time. Basically, it's steel wire for springs in the right diameter, heating it slightly bending it and then the glowing/hardening process in the oven.