alfahaka
Silver
Silver

Fitting a V6 transaxle to an Alfetta sedan - what to swap

Post by alfahaka »

I have a rebuilt V6 LSD transaxle. I want to put it in an Alfetta running original 4 cylinder talshaft, axles, hubs.

Thanks to the detailed descriptions in other threads here, posted by people with actual practical experience with these things, I think I know what I need to do. However, this is a state I usually find myself in immediately prior to a disaster, so I thought I'd see if there were any final words of wisdom/warning before I find myself with a collection of transaxle parts and no working transaxles...

The plan:

Swap the diff output shafts/flanges on the transaxle (different hex bolt size) to use the alfetta axles and hubs

Transaxle has gear type speedo drive so that should be fine

Fit Alfetta clutch housing, flywheel, clutch, slave cylinder

Will that all "just work"?

Will other clutches fit this housing? I'm going to be using it with a fairly tame turbo 4 cylinder putting out about 200hp. I expect (given the limited availability and increasingly astronomical prices) of OEM clutches that if I really do find I need a stronger clutch I'd go aftermarket not OE anyway - but will it limit my options?
Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

Re: Fitting a V6 transaxle to an Alfetta sedan - what to swa

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

I believe you've covered the vbasics there.. :wink:

The only thing i can think of is the metal bush/sleeve that fits around the gearbox shaft( the one that has the splines and goes into the clutchplate). There is a different in length betwen the push and the pull type clutch. :wink:
Drive it like you stole it...
alfahaka
Silver
Silver

Post by alfahaka »

Giuliettaevo2 wrote:There is a different in length betwen the push and the pull type clutch. :wink:
Good to know. Should be right as I have (assuming nothing wrong with it) the one of the Alfetta.

Thanks
Darryl
Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

The different length i talk about is in the length of that metal sleeve around the axle, :wink:
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

The problem is the diameter. The one is I think 27mm and the other 30mm. What I do know is the 27mm works on the pull type but it takes at least a couple of of prop rebuilds to find that dam rattle :twisted:
It can't work vice versa. I'm sure lengths were the same.
Bruce
Gold
Gold

Post by Bruce »

.. are the forks and pivot ball thingy the same?
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

No they are both different. I will put some pics up as I am just making a push type ap to fit in my pull type.
PietereQ
Platinum
Platinum

Post by PietereQ »

Alfahaka good thinking but instead of fiddling with alfetta clutch on a v6 transaxle, I would use v6 tranny and clutch assembly. Just eplace the donut fork with Alfetta unit.
alfahaka
Silver
Silver

Post by alfahaka »

I'd use a V6 clutch assy if I had one :) . And maybe if it was going to make a big difference to efficacy of clutch. I swapped the bits I had around at the weekend - all seems to fit... Its nice to not have any nasty "surprises" for once. This was just a trial fit - need to sort out a decent clutch and another "issue" before its ready to go...

Thanks for all the great info.

Darryl
alfahaka
Silver
Silver

Post by alfahaka »

I spoke too soon - a quick visual on the shafts I didn't notice the Alfetta output shafts and splines are smaller diameter. So I can't just swap the diff output shafts from an Alfetta diff (non LSD) on to a 4 pinion LSD diff to make the Alfetta half shafts/CVs fit. Note that the only reason I tried to do this was because the output shaft flanges on the diff are for M10 and the CV holes are for M8. Same PCD.

It looks to me like there have been at least 3 versions of the output shafts/flanges, but not all variants seen in all markets. For a start, the US didn't see the later 4 cylinder Alfettas (1979 on) as far as I know (probably wrong, given I'm in Australia) and the brembo brake rotor catalog is helpful in revealing that pre '79 Alfettas used M10 bolts, but the later 4 cylinder 116s used M8 bolts while the GTV6 and 75 2L TS, 1.8 turbo and V6 variants also used M10 (but apparently the non TS or turbo 4 cylinders we didn't see here used M8s like the corresponding alfettas).

I should add at this point that the original setup on my Alfetta had no spacer/adapter between the brake rotor and the CV - apparently some variants did.. so any approach involving relying on the adapter to deal with the M10 vs M8 discrepancy isn't going to work with the halfshaft length that I have.

I could get a set of halfshafts/axles + CVs that do fit the diff (ie from a GTV6 or a 75 TS or V6) - but I know that at least some of these don't fit teh Alfetta wheel hub. I won't/can't, for a number of reasons, change from the Alfetta 4 stud to 5 stud - I'm guessing thats the usual way out of the problem. It matters to me for a few reasons that the car remains "improved period" not "modified". Thats why the transaxle was specifically specified to be built to suit a 1981 Alfetta - but we won't go there...

Has anyone done this (later diff with large output shafts, M10 flange) into a 1979 on Alfetta and kept the 4 stud hubs? And if anyone has done it on an early Afetta - did it just fit? I don't like my chances of finding early Alfetta halfshafts but if they would make this work I'll at least try...

PS There is a suggestion I'm hallucinating and there isn't any such thing as an output shaft that takes M8s rather than M10s.. Here is the evidence/issue (Alfetta shaft on left, LSD output shaft on right) in both pics:
shafts.jpeg
shafts.jpeg (73.58 KiB) Viewed 9629 times
end view
flanges.jpeg
flanges.jpeg (35.88 KiB) Viewed 9629 times
Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

You can also swap the stubaxles on the wheelside for the m10 version and then use the larger driveshafts. That way you don't have to go to the 5 stud hub. :wink:

The 75 has two types of axle, m8 and m10. m10 is found on the v6 and 1.8Tb. TS uses m8. The driveshafts for the 75 are all full-length, no spacers used as far as i know off, and i've owned most models. :wink:
alfahaka
Silver
Silver

Post by alfahaka »

Giuliettaevo2 wrote:You can also swap the stubaxles on the wheelside for the m10 version and then use the larger driveshafts.

TS uses m8. The driveshafts for the 75 are all full-length, no spacers used as far as i know off, and i've owned most models.
Interesting. If the TS is M8, and the internal shafts are same diameter as V6 it would be a nice fix. Any idea if that is the case (big shaft?) or am I going to find it is same as the alfetta?

To add to my confusion , and not doubting your experience - nothing would surprise me any more re variations in this area, but I based my ist of bolt sizes on output flanges on this (which matches the 2 cases I have in front of me at least):

brembo 08.3910.10 rear disks fitment list which shows same part (with 8.5mm holes) for 2L and below non-turbo, non TS 75s, and all late Alfettas. On the other hand it lists brembo 08.3910.20 with 10.5 mm holes as being GTV6, 75 TS, 75 turbo 75 V6 (2.5 and 3L).
the odd one is 08.1987.10 which was used on all Alfetta GTs and some incomprehensible subset of Alfetta sedan variants, apparently. This is a thinner centre to the rotor, but 10.4mm holes.... Too many options! I'll just have to do some measuring of anything I can find that might fit....
alfahaka
Silver
Silver

Post by alfahaka »

Checked - my TS has M8 flange. Brembo have it wrong (well wrong in my and Giuliettaevo2's case at least).

So keen to know if the internal shaft diameter on the TS LSD transaxle is the same as the V6? Justr trying to avoid work - I guess I should remove the output shaft on my TS and find out....
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Yes it will be the same.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
alfahaka
Silver
Silver

Post by alfahaka »

MD wrote:Yes it will be the same.
Assuming you were replying to my most recent post, that is good news - time to find some TS output shafts...