akilljoy
Silver
Silver

Clutch issues 1986 GTV6

Post by akilljoy »

I have no clutch seperation, so i cant put it in gear unless its roling and even that is extremly difficult. I assume its a bad clutch master cyl or slave cly. Any ideas besides those that i should look for ?
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Re: Clutch issues 1986 GTV6

Post by MR2 Zig »

It could also be a broken clutch fork pivot ball. this is a ball with a threaded shank that screws into the trans case and gives the clutch fork something to pivot on. If not greased every once in a while they break. If it does break the slave piston will come out of its bore and dump fluid everywhere.

Another thing that happens is that the clutch plates get stuck together with rust if the car has been sitting too long.

I hope that helps.

Scott
MR1 Zig (I made rate!)
Machinery Repairman USNR
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Does it feel like their is normal hydraulic clutch feel but clutch not functioning . If so then plates are stuck from standing or sometimes from high moisture in air and rapid cooling on unit . The plates bind . Easiest way to release is push start car in gear then push in clutch and let car shudder along with clutch in . It will then break free .
akilljoy
Silver
Silver

Post by akilljoy »

( update) i got a new master cly, and istalled it, however i believe i installed it wrong. THe shaft that pushes the master cly pistoon in was at a wierd angle and the clutch pedal sat to high. Two days after i insatalled it, the shaft actully poped out of the master clutch master cly and i rebiult it and reisatlled it and bleed it from the slave and it still isnt working. Im knda lost.

THe clutches are deffinitly not suck. I have been driving it for the past three months. But that broken clutch pivot isnt a bad idea, the only reason i say that it isnt a bad idea is becasue the slave is kinda dumping some liquid. But is that not an idication that the slave might be bad as well?
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

The slave seal could be bad. Easy way to tell is to pull the boot off of it. Does the pedal return to the normal position with your foot off while the system is bled? If you get it bled and the pedal just goes to floor then its the pivot ball. If you can move the clutch fork away from the slave, in the normal direction of activation, by hand, its the pivot ball.

Do keep in mind that you have to move the slave cylinder around to get the bleed nipple at the top to get all the air out.

Scott
MR1 Zig (I made rate!)
Machinery Repairman USNR
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

The clutch slave cylinders you buy for the GTV here in uk are same as the 105 series which is a major problem as the pin is way to long . This has caught some people out who have never done this and just thrown the old slave out . So you need to check your pin on new slave is same as original one that came out .
akilljoy
Silver
Silver

Post by akilljoy »

(another update) i am waiting on the replacement clutch slave cyclinder. In addition to to that , i was under the car messing with the clutch fork (pressing and pulling on it to more or less see if i could get the clutch to seperate, just because i was curious) and i was able to pull the fork straight outta the GD transmission. This has me extremly concerned, should i be able to do that? also i examined the piviot ball and it was fine. Before i bought the car it looks like some one was on the.....ball[/i.. and greassed it.

Thank you so much for the feed back fellas , really appreciate it.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

The fork will come out easily . To put back is a real b1tch . Either it takes ten seconds or five minutes . You gotta get thrust bearing rotated so flat parts are horizontal and slide for in at angle with front more forwards while back slides between pivot ball . Takes a while and it usually falls out again while you're putting the slave back . What's the lenght of your clutch pin that's come with the slave ?