Enrique
Silver
Silver

jack point

Post by Enrique »

What is the proper jack point at the front of the car? After the car is up, what are the proper points to place the jackstands?

The reason that I'm jacking up the GTV6 is to diagnose a clanking sound that occurs whenever I go over bumps. The sound is sort of like the sound that a shock makes when all the fluid has run out, except that it is more "clanky" (i.e., not as deep sounding). Any ideas on which front suspension/steering component(s) could be broken or loose so as to cause this? (This car is an '85.)

Thanks in advance.
Alfa GTV6 NZ
Gold
Gold

Post by Alfa GTV6 NZ »

Stab in the dark - Ball joints or loose shock.
1987 GTV6 - Livin in New Zealand.
Peab
Silver
Silver

Post by Peab »

If car is rusted it is wise to never use the official side jack points. They may easily disappear into the cabin.. Better to jack your car on the two frame beams underneath, and put the jackstands under those as well. Also, you have a single jackpoint in the front, that will allow you to raise both sides at once.

Check your balljoints. Could also be a-arm bushings.
Enrique
Silver
Silver

figured out the "clunk"

Post by Enrique »

Thanks for your responses.

I figured out what the clunking noise was. It was looseness in what the manual calls the "tie rods" (those adjustable stabilizer arms that extend from the top of the upper link into a hole in the engine compartment, with red bushings on either side of the hole into the engine compartment).

As an aside, to me, the term "tie rods" has always referred to the arm that connects a steering rack to a hub assembly. But the manual calls those parts "impulse pick-ups." I'm new to Alfas. Are these really the terms that are commonly used for these parts? (I.e., calling tie rods "impulse pick-ups" and those upper link stabilizers "tie rods.")

Anyway, what happened was this: Before I purchased this car two weeks ago, I paid a shop to do some front end work. That shop must not have tightened down the nuts that hold on those "tie rod" bushes on the engine compartment side whatsoever. One nut/washer/bush set must have fallen off. The other was hanging on by a thread (literally).

I tightened the nut that was still there. I assume I can find a new washer/nut/set from Auto International or some other supplier.

What size are those nuts? 20mm or 21mm?

Last question: What would be a good source for a used tach? The needle on my has broken off (from sun damage, I think).

Cheers.
-E.
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Enrique

The correct term for the component that you refer to is a radius rod As a matter of good precaution, it is always a good idea to "double nut" these to prevent the fixing coming loose just as it has. Pretty dangerous stuff if it lets go.

The steering item is called a "track rod" or "tie rod".

As for your speedo, try taking it to an instrument repairer who should be able to replace the pointer with one that is more U.V. stable and calibrate it for accuracy at the same time.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

Enrique:

For the tach, if it still works, gently pop off the old needle and replace it with a good one from a junk uard (does not have to be Alfa, just has to fit tapered pin....OR, if you can't find one that fits and the mounting base of the original needle is still good, just lightly epoxy on the tip from a good needle)

I epoxied one of my clock arms years ago and it still works fine.