Alfa Romeo ONLY please!
Mezevenf
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Mezevenf »

Damn MD that is one beastly looking machine! I can't wait to see a 116 take it to the 105 guys! :D

Looking forward to seeing you out on the track!
Bernard M (AKA Mef - Mezevenf)

1986 75QV 3.0L 24v V6 - Silver
1985 GTV6 2.5L 12v V6 - Red
1999 166 3.0L 24v V6 - Red

NightSpec
Duk
Verde
Verde

Post by Duk »

MD wrote: De 4 Duk. The answer is yes in good time. No point prommoting a concept that is unproven. Wait until the end of the race season and I'll tell you if it works and how good/bad it is. It would be foolish for you to repeat my mistakes.

BTW the 105 nudge bar is not a 75 front bumper. Stick to Coopers and stop drinking that Murray brew and you just might come good.. :D

What are you trying to modify?
I read your reply with a Coopers Sparkling Ale in hand, so it's all good 8). Besides, there isn't much water left in the old Murry, so I'm doing my part to keep water usage here in SA down (that's my excuse for the smell, too :P)

As for my modifications, looking for effective ways to raise the front roll centre of my road going (lowered) 75 and upside down LCAs look like an option, even if it is a bit dramatic for a road car.
GTV27
Platinum
Platinum

Post by GTV27 »

Car looks good MD. Good to hear that you are sorting out the niggles. Will you be out at Morgan Park next weekend?

Oh and Mef, I'd think your 75 was perfectly able to take the fight up to the quick 105's!
Jason
1983 GTV6 2.8 litre
Mezevenf
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Mezevenf »

GTV27 wrote:Oh and Mef, I'd think your 75 was perfectly able to take the fight up to the quick 105's!
Haha thanks! Cept mine has sort of done that via brute force (horsepower)!

It's when the 4cyl guys start catching up is when I know I have to lift my game! (Stealth bomber? :D)
Bernard M (AKA Mef - Mezevenf)

1986 75QV 3.0L 24v V6 - Silver
1985 GTV6 2.5L 12v V6 - Red
1999 166 3.0L 24v V6 - Red

NightSpec
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Duk -nobody recommends this for a street car, period. PM Daniel to do a conversion of your uprights instead. You will need 16" rims for clearance.

Jason- Catch you ? @ MP this week end for sure.

Mef - thanks for the encouragment.
Attachments
Wheel Specs 1.JPG
Wheel Specs 1.JPG (113.83 KiB) Viewed 5830 times
Roller Skates for the Brick.jpg
Roller Skates for the Brick.jpg (175.72 KiB) Viewed 5830 times
Last edited by MD on Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

My event is at the end of June, might enter the race group. Am trying to mount a video cam. So don't forget to mount a cam in your car!!
Dr. Alban
GTV27
Platinum
Platinum

Post by GTV27 »

MD wrote: Jason- Catch you ? @ MP this week end for sure.
Ha that's great! I'll be in the GTV6, so you've got a better chance of catching me this time :wink: :lol:

I'd like to have the competition as my V6 is not fast enough (yet) to worry those 105's but is too quick for the other 116s.

Mef - nothing wrong with brute force! There's no such thing as too much hp.
Jason
1983 GTV6 2.8 litre
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

MD, how may races are on your calendar for the year. Are your tracks nearby or do you have pack your Alfa pyjamas for some of them !
Interested to find out what your set up is like there. The new stickers on the "brick' make it really look the part.
Cheers
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Kevin, a rough guess is about a dozen events for the year of various types from street circuit racing, sprinting, regularity and circuit racing. Could do hillclimbs as well if I was crazy enough.

Presently as a rookie, I am just doing sprints. Currently using two circuits and possibly a third one is going to come on stream but they are fighting noise battles. Two would be about an hour away and one is about two hours. This one is an overnight stay and yes the jammies are required. It is inland so in the summer it gets friggin' hot and like now there are little bells ringing when you see drivers walking about. :D

Don't know how to make a URL for the Google Earth grid references so here they are in text.

Near my place > E153* 03'15.3"
Queensland Raceway>E152*39'9" (1 hour away)
Morgan Park Raceway>E152* 02'3"(2hours away)

As I have said elsewhere, I am not keen to totally reveal every aspect of our car for competitive reasons and lack of proving at this time. If it turns out to be a successful formula and proven, then I will reveal stuff later. I am happy to share and as you know, I have revealed all about my street car. I am anticipating some close competition between similar spec cars here shortly and nuances just may make the difference which I need to keep confidential for now.
la_strega_nera
Platinum
Platinum

Post by la_strega_nera »

GTV27 wrote:Mef - nothing wrong with brute force! There's no such thing as too much hp.
Hmmm.... sometimes there is... I suspect the Falcon (when its finished) will for all its brute force, suffer on a track like Morgan Park...
QR - Yeah, never too much HP :P
1966 GTV
1982 Suzuki "Bathurst" Katana
1995 Cagiva Mito (race kitted 250 powered)
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

While we were discussing drive shafts in Kevin's topic set, I said I would post my driveline set up here. Well, here are some photos of the existing driveshaft for purposes of discussion.

I want to emphasise that it will be modified further to dampen away the hammering noises it generates at idle revs as I have previously said.

When I finish and test the revised version, I will post that too. This will be a provision for a rubber coupling to the front section probably from a BMW or Mercedes Benz.

Meantime, these photos should give you some food for thought. One of the great things is the slip joint at the rear section. This allows removal of the shaft without having to drop the crossmember supporting the gearbox. It also allows the positioning of the engine and the transmission in their general fit location without having to fuss over their exact location because the donuts maybe stressed . This is because the shaft is adjustable for length. It really does make a big difference to ease servicing.

The mounting is straight forward and the best thing about it, IT'S TOUGH . No more shredded donuts on burnouts-a few broken axles maybe or gears but no donuts to worry about. It is also cost effective to make coming out cheaper than a fully rebuilt original Alfa shaft.
Attachments
Clutch end.JPG
Clutch end.JPG (116.69 KiB) Viewed 6293 times
Centre section.JPG
Centre section.JPG (118.78 KiB) Viewed 6294 times
Flywheel end.JPG
Flywheel end.JPG (117.37 KiB) Viewed 6295 times
Flywheel fitting.JPG
Flywheel fitting.JPG (114.46 KiB) Viewed 6295 times
Slip Joint.JPG
Slip Joint.JPG (118.58 KiB) Viewed 6295 times
Last edited by MD on Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Post by fedezyl »

Great, thanks for the pics MD! Just a little doubt, since i'm new to this driveshaft conversion, is there any benefit on using a CV joint instead of a slip joint all around, like using a CV joint on both ends, flywheel and clutch?
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Something is lost in the translation mate as I cannot clearly understand your question.

You need to understand (if you don't already)that a slip joint is not a CV. It is a joint which can extend or reduce the length of the shaft.

As for where to use CV's, I have seen them mounted behind the flywheel as well as used in the centre with equal success.

As I said before, I suggest you wait to see my final modification ..
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Post by fedezyl »

MD wrote:Something is lost in the translation mate as I cannot clearly understand your question.

You need to understand (if you don't already)that a slip joint is not a CV. It is a joint which can extend or reduce the length of the shaft.

As for where to use CV's, I have seen them mounted behind the flywheel as well as used in the centre with equal success.

As I said before, I suggest you wait to see my final modification ..
I know my english may not be as good, and I do clearly understand what the difference is between a slip joint and a CV joint.
What I was asking, and I do apologize for not being clear enough (english is not my first language), is if there was any specific advantage of using a CV joint in any part of the drive shaft instead of a slip joint, as an example, use a slip joint on the gearbox side, one in the middle and a CV joint up front, my question is if there's any advantage or difference of using a combination of the two types of joints or it's just per consumer's taste.

:wink:
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

CV= Constant Velocity. You can have a greater angle in the joint without it creating a pulsating rotation. They will also have a much lower plunge force then the slip yoke in a cardan joint, doesn't matter a lot in our case but it can create severe imbalance issues in an installation where the parts move around a lot.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!