superfly tnt
Silver
Silver

Re: new type tensioner

Post by superfly tnt »

will this work?

if yes, ill do a better stop plate under the correct angle, but it really limits the travel of the tensioner. how much is good? a little more or less or exactly corresponding the marking when installing its at 15C

bcal
Gold
Gold

Post by bcal »

I spent a lot of time researching this on the alfabb and after looking at all the different options I came up with this.

It's basically the old de tensioner with the oil ports blocked off and a new cap fitted which is threaded to take a 10mm set screw.

I haven't fited it yet so can't say how successful it is but I'm guessing it will be no different to the old fixed Zat tensioner.
Brett
Tazio
Silver
Silver

Post by Tazio »

Brett,

Any chance you made more than one of those plates? That looks like a good solution for adjusting out belt stretch on the fly.

I rebuilt the hydraulic tensioner and modified the inserted piece that the piston shaft goes through to take a sprung seal (I work for an Automotive gasket manufacturer and traced one down). I have done two of these one worked perfectly for a customer of a friends business about 18 months ago and the one for myself has failed miserably this week after only two weeks in place.

So am looking to go to the blocked off hydraulic tensioner after reading everything.
To Be is To Exist To Do is To Live
Alfa 90 Gold Cloverleaf
bcal
Gold
Gold

Post by bcal »

Tazio wrote: Any chance you made more than one of those plates? That looks like a good solution for adjusting out belt stretch on the fly.
No mate, once is enough. It's pretty easy to make, just cut it out of some 10mm aluminium plate on a band saw and drill and tap a hole. It don't need to be all fancy like I made it, but mine is going into a hotrod so it need to look nice.

Another idea I have is to remove the piston and tap out the bottom bushing to accept a set screw. A locking nut would be provided on the outside. You could remove the top cap altogether and insert a socket or screwdriver inside the cylinder for adjustment, or you could retain the cap to act as a cover.
This might be MKII
Brett
SimonB
Gold
Gold

Post by SimonB »

I know that this is raking over old ground, but what are people doing these days about the tensioner? I will be changing my cambelt, tensioner and water pump after a (too long) period of storage. Is it worth changing the seals on the old style tensioner? The new one scares me after having read all the stuff above. Does everyone agree about just blocking off the oil supply and filling it with grease? What is the drawback of doing this? Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this.
¡Si me gusta conducir, es porque conduzco un Alfa!

'84 GTV6 UK spec back on the road after 4 years!
05 Corolla daily driver
scott.venables
Gold
Gold

Post by scott.venables »

I rebuilt my hydraulic tensioner in my daily driver over 5 years ago and it doesn't leak although it is starting to look a little damp. Success of the rebuild relies on condition of the parts.

Scott
Tazio
Silver
Silver

Post by Tazio »

Once converted to solid with a grease nipple to fill up never had another problem and got driven really hard.
To Be is To Exist To Do is To Live
Alfa 90 Gold Cloverleaf
SimonB
Gold
Gold

Post by SimonB »

My last tensioner (normal type) has lasted 8 years but a tiny mileage.
I wonder if I can convince an Alfa dealership to do the mod to the old tensioner described above... It definately sounds like the best way.
¡Si me gusta conducir, es porque conduzco un Alfa!

'84 GTV6 UK spec back on the road after 4 years!
05 Corolla daily driver