brookstroutr
Gold
Gold

Dash Bower Fan R&R Help

Post by brookstroutr »

My fan in my '84 is going out and I do have a spare. I cannot seem to get the old one out of the box/container. Any ideas????
Regards,

N. G. Brooks Robinson
'84 GTV6
'84 M635CSi
MD
Verde
Verde

Re: Dash Bower Fan R&R Help

Post by MD »

No short cuts that I know of. The heater box assembly has to come out but before that can come out, the console comes out.

Once you have it out of the car, there are clips holding an upper and a lower section together. Remove the clips and the top section will come away from the bottom exposing the fan motor.

On a degree of pain in the butt jobs 0-10. This is about an 8.5

Sure you want to mess with the fan?
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
brookstroutr
Gold
Gold

Post by brookstroutr »

MD,

Gotta replace the fan as I've blown aire and lubricant where I could to clean and tried to remove. It looks like a bitch to do. It's squeeling like hell so it's on it's last leg. It's summer here and you know how these GTV6's can heat up.

It looks more like a 9.5 on the scale to me!!! PITA!!!!!!!!!!!!
Regards,

N. G. Brooks Robinson
'84 GTV6
'84 M635CSi
brookstroutr
Gold
Gold

Post by brookstroutr »

MD,

BTW, what's the best way to remove the fan box??
Regards,

N. G. Brooks Robinson
'84 GTV6
'84 M635CSi
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

The best way to remove the box is to farm the job out to some sucker for ten bucks and hour ! :D

Sorry buddy I am just trying to work up the courage to tell you what you are in for.

Well, I am not going to sit here and type up an article to do this job cause it's an absolute pain for all sorts of reasons like access, number of tenticles this octopus has blah blah .

For example, you have to degass the aircon. system so you can disconnect the tubing from the heater box before you can remove it. Have to disconnect the heater hoses leading to it.All the electrics need disconnection and from memory, there are two 10mm nuts that are high under the dashboard fixing the box to the firewal that requires rubber arms to get to.

Are you sure you want to do this ?? !!

Why not just leave it where is and install an under dash aftermarket air con unit instead. A lot simpler and it will work better than the crapy Alfa one anyhow.

http://www.californiaspeedsupplies.com.au/aircon.html
Attachments
Under Dash Air..jpg
Under Dash Air..jpg (13.79 KiB) Viewed 7549 times
brookstroutr
Gold
Gold

Post by brookstroutr »

MD,

I like the idea of the after market unit if there was room. I actually got the fan to quit sqealing like a raped ape by shooting compressed air through the vents and then spraying a lubricant on the fan bearings. Just returned from a fast 6 hour trip and the fan on chirps from time to time. I HAVE to have the fan working for the hot days the freeze weather. You know how hot it is in these cars. I almost died on the first leg of the trip w/o A/C. Drank a gallon of fluids & was soaked.

I gotta fix it as 2 years ago the blower locked 2 hours from home in extreme heat. Not fun.
Regards,

N. G. Brooks Robinson
'84 GTV6
'84 M635CSi
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

OK to fit this sucker you gotta dump the parcel tray that the girlfriend normally puts the pink handbag on.. :D Use this vacant space for the install . Not as good as in-dash for air distribution but will cool the car down.
Remote from the making cool area, you need to work on keeping heat out. Place insulation material in the prop tunnel to shield radiant heat from penetrating up the floor-especially from the Cat.Insulation wrap your exhaust system from the engine pipe back. DO NOT WRAP THE CAST IRON HEADERS. They will crack.
Install two stainless steel ball valves in the engine compartment to close off the heater supply AND return water lines to prevent hot water bleeding through the heater core year round adding heat load. (All cars do this).

If you still cannot cool the cabin enough, install a transparent air curtain to divide the front section of the cabin from the rear half effectively making two compartments - front and rear. This makes the heat load only a fraction of what the entire cabin is and you will need to wear a Peter Heater in the nether region if you turn the air down for maximum chill .. :D :D :D

..and it all started with a little squeek.. HHHAAAAHHAA
brookstroutr
Gold
Gold

Post by brookstroutr »

MD,

Thanks for the info. Right now, I'm going to leave it alone as I can tolerate the sporadic sqeeks. The way it was you couldn't take it for 10 minutes.
Regards,

N. G. Brooks Robinson
'84 GTV6
'84 M635CSi