Mats
Verde
Verde

Re: Alfa romeo v8 engine

Post by Mats »

Do you have any engineering background?

I might know a Montreal engine for sale (in pieces) if you're intrerested?
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Micke
Verde
Verde

Post by Micke »

It CAN be done!

Worthwhile - hardly.

Engineering challenge - Definitely.

I see the budget being the biggest problem. And it will consume a lot of time.
I did see a loooong time ago someone making a V8 from two inline 4's. Can't remember which brand or where.

And this is how the powertech engine is made. 2 Hayabysa heads.
http://www.powertecracing.com/pdf_downl ... engine.pdf

As you'll be creating a bastrad (in the good sense) anyway and being mid engine you might have space to keep one bank's exhaust in the middle. The new BMW turbo has both exhaust there so it can be done.
http://themotorreport.com.au/wp-content ... -tmr-1.jpg

If you have a problem with issues mating any engine to any gearbox this project is not for you. That is considered fairly easy.

Anyway, good luck.
Dennis
Gold
Gold

Post by Dennis »

For a small series I would use the Montreal engine to keep it Alfa, otherwise the powertec V8 is just brilliant. 10,500 rpm Baby!!! It's light, it's dry sumped and no slouch with 360 hp...... Just mill some nice Alfa camcovers and have idiots call you a bastard.

By the way.... If you are not going to sell kits of that 33 body, I will have to come to SA and get them. I'm warning you, don't get in my way ;)
'81 GTV6 3.0 QV
'91 75 TS (track)
'02 BMW 330i Touring
74Spider
Silver
Silver

Post by 74Spider »

Hi Mats: Yes I do, details would be great - thanks.

Micke: Thanks for the links - be nice if it looked like the Powertek unit ! <dreaming>

Dennis - I'm with you. It's a hell of a unit - nice and compact too.
Regards,

74Spider.
grantleyrich
Silver
Silver

Post by grantleyrich »

How about an engine from the current 8C?

Better still, how about getting hold of an engine from a recent Maserati and changing the cam covers? After all, that is where the engine in the 8C came from so there is a precedent
:wall:
Alfa GTV6 NZ
Gold
Gold

Post by Alfa GTV6 NZ »

on crazy v8's check out this local company

http://www.synergypower.co.nz/

They did really well at the Chili Bowl in Tulsa Oklahoma.
1987 GTV6 - Livin in New Zealand.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Thats a good leed on engines. When jules gets here on Wednesday im gonna take him around to see this 33 replica of Peters
74Spider
Silver
Silver

Post by 74Spider »

Hi Verde,

If you have any pics of the replica that would be great.

Thanks,

74Spider.
slyalfa
Gold
Gold

Post by slyalfa »

it might be a bit strange but if you keep the 2 cranks and tied them together with a big chain or gear with one running backwards. you would still need to rework one head. or have strange plumbing.
but this way you have more or less 2 motors side by side. you can slant them any way you want. but use all stock parts.

might be able to go large intake valves. and make the out on both the stock intake valve size. just to keep them equal. it would be oversize on the out but would work
having 4L would make up for some of that.
t16
Silver
Silver

Post by t16 »

Is´nt it possible to find a suitable v8 like bmw or another alloy block with cam chain and put two nord heads on?

Then the chain drive is cut of one of the head and welded on the other side.
Dennis Mollberg
Typhoon90
Gold
Gold

Post by Typhoon90 »

Welding up blocks can be done, custom cranks are not a huge issue for the right people. Cams, as long as you can make stock blanks work, they can be ground to whatever you want.
The big issue as people have said, is the cylinder head. I reckon the cheapest way to do a reverse cylinder head would be to slice up a head, put it back together with intake and exhaust around the right way, fit the cam chain box then make a sand pattern and cast it. Welded up cut and sliced heads tend to be a bit fragile.
It's also not as easy to just cut and shut the can chain box onto another head, cams usually run a wider bearing at the cam chain end, for the greater side loads they see.
Then "all" you have to do is sort out cooling and cam/accessory drive!
Me, I'd just go buy a Porsche V8 and be done, if I wanted a quad cam engine.
Or, there is the Lotus V8......that is one beautiful engine.

Regards, Andrew.
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Me, I'd just go buy a Porsche V8 and be done, if I wanted a quad cam engine.
Or, there is the Lotus V8......that is one beautiful engine.
Yes good call but I think the challenge is the name of the game here don't you think?
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Flying Machine
Silver
Silver

Post by Flying Machine »

What a project! Could turn a man grey!

Early Tipo 33 cars (T33/1 and T33/2) had 2 litre, 4-cam, 2 valve per cylinder, flat crank V8s to a design by Carlo Chiti.
The Montreal motor is derived from that engine but differs in capacity (2.6 l.) and being for a road car may have a 90 deg crank and aptly altered cams; the cam and valve counts were unaltered.
It depends on the era of Tipo 33 you are replicating, but perhaps a Montreal motor would not be so inappropriate. If indeed it has a 90 deg crank the exhaust sound would be rather different. Who do you have to convince?
There's a trade-off between "noise authenticity" and the avoidance of the secondary vibrations that come with flat cranks. Your call, but the vibes can do a lot of unseen but important damage to a car that may not get the frequent dismantling and detailed checking/crack detection lavished on an active works race car.
If you can get hold of one, the engine from a Lancia Thema 8.32 is derived from a Ferrari V8, 32 v/v flat crank unit but has a 90 deg crankshaft.
On deriving a V8 from 4 cyl Nord parts: port geometry, valve seat sizes and particularly the cast-in cooling provisions for the exhaust valve seats and valve guides all strongly suggest that reversing the functions of the ports is not a good idea. Better to slice off the timing chain case and tappet well drain zones from their respective ends of the casting chosen for the right side head, turn it front to back and fabricate new ends to match the oil drains and cam drive casing(s) of your - all bespoke but the liners and conrods - bottom end.
Challenges galore, not to mention building chassis, body, running gear.

Good hunting. I'll get a hat so I can raise it when you win.
R

Had my GTV6 for 20 years, so not much I haven't done for, to, on or in it!

"The devil (or at least a gremlin) is in the detail."
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Flying Machine wrote:

Good hunting. I'll get a hat so I can raise it when you win.
HAHA!

Seriously though, nice info post and welcome to the forum!
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
storm_rider_
Silver
Silver

Post by storm_rider_ »

Talking of a fiat v8, I remember seeing a picture of a guy splicing the 8 valve twin cam heads onto a rover v8 block. spacing was very similar and the later twin cams are reverse flow so you can have two 8 valve heads both with the inlets in the middle instead of reversing one or working around that. Sure i have a picture of the engine it somewhere to. Not sure whether he ever got it to run though.