Please post a pic of yourself or your car tell us about yourself and let us know where you are from.
75evo
Verde
Verde

Re: Back again...

Post by 75evo »

Ben

Google active nsx exhaust. You will see how this nsx owner did up his system based on some harmonics he wanted to attenuate and amplify. I think the tuned length should be similar for our engines too. Sounded nice, but I personally prefer a Unicorse or the Unicorse look-alike they make in the UK.
la_strega_nera
Platinum
Platinum

Post by la_strega_nera »

Had a look at the NSX active exhaust thread, interesting but most of the pics are missing.
Took some pics of the install, will grab some more from underneath when I do an oil change tomorrow night...
So, rear manifold already converted, not welded to flange yet - had to dummy it up in the car to get the protrusion and angle right:

Front manifold part way through - far right has already been made round and shrunk
Centre - half way through
Left - how they started after chopping the flange off.

Front manifold installed:

and finally - the factory cast iron manifolds - much smaller internal diameter...
1966 GTV
1982 Suzuki "Bathurst" Katana
1995 Cagiva Mito (race kitted 250 powered)
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Ben,

Do you have the GTV 24V headers? Will they work in your 164? I think the GTV's engine is canted forwards even more than the 164s. If they won't work in your 164, let me know.
Dr. Alban
la_strega_nera
Platinum
Platinum

Post by la_strega_nera »

hah hah, yeah, I've got the GTV V6 manifolds (don't I feel stupid. cut up some 24valve 164 manifolds, then 6 months later buy a 24 valve motor to put in the 164...) - front one is basically identical to 164, rear is a little different (see pic - right hand one is a 164 front I think - the GTV v6 has a slightly different collector and cheaper heatshield mounts).Image
Engine cant is the same I believe... the rear gtv v6 manifold should clear the subframe, looks like it'll be a bit tight doing filter changes though! Of course a set of 164 headers would probably line up with my modded 12 valve down pipes...
1966 GTV
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Ben , there is not much space to work behind that back bank. At least on the gtv , and 156 there is a lot more space.z
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

...and I have a 164 24v Super standing around, go figure.

Would break it for parts but it's too much work.. :roll:
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
la_strega_nera
Platinum
Platinum

Post by la_strega_nera »

Yeah, know all about how tight it is in there - was a prick of a job doing the rear header, and whoever rebuilt the heads 25,000km before i bought it decided tightening up the rear manifold properly was too much like hard work for the same reason...
Stupid thing is I'd jump at the chance to make it worse using bits of integrale/155GTA driveline...
1966 GTV
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Ben,

I'm thinking of converting a 24V manifold on my 155 V6. It looks like the pipe spacing before it ovals is about right? Since you had to cut the parts where it was ovals, did you have to add short lengths of pipes between the header and 12V flanges?
Dr. Alban
la_strega_nera
Platinum
Platinum

Post by la_strega_nera »

Was just out doing an oil change on the red car - there is no way that the 916 rear manifold is going to clear the engine mount/driveshaft support without some serious mods. Bollox - the bolt on heat sheild on the 916 header is a much better setup than the 164 setup.
Z - I carefull cut the flanges off so as to leave the full length of the pipe there (if you look at the one that's 1/2 completed you'll see i've actually cut half way through the weld bead on the inside where they're fitted) - then spent a bunch of time with a blow torch and hammers to make the tube round, and using the grinder and my welder I slit the tube and shrank it back down - where it's expanded out to the oval shape they tube is actuall increased in circumference.
One of the Stratos guys did it by welding short smaller diameter stubs to the flange plate and cutting the ovalised bit off and stepping the header - my flange plates (thanks Daniel) were the same diameter as the runners. Pipe spacing is spot on. You'll have to mod your down pipes, the 24valve are a bigger pipe and bigger bolt spacing on the flanges, and they won't quite line up...

Is the 916 style rear header going to work better for the 155 Z? if so I'll swap you :P
1966 GTV
la_strega_nera
Platinum
Platinum

Post by la_strega_nera »

Oh yeah, definitly going to go to a remote mount filter if I put the 24valver in it...
1966 GTV
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Some jobs behind that back bank I hate includes power steering pump out . Notice the 164 oil filter is smaller than the 156 and if some one over tightens it you need wrists like Arnie to undo it .
la_strega_nera
Platinum
Platinum

Post by la_strega_nera »

Yeah, it's not fun back there on the right hookers with the clutch master poking out too. Screw doing a starter motor in the car!
1966 GTV
Bruce
Gold
Gold

Post by Bruce »

.. can you hear anything?
la_strega_nera
Platinum
Platinum

Post by la_strega_nera »

so, the part throttle stumble i'd been chasing - thinking it was due to the previous owner dicking with the AFM spring (which they had) - turned out to be a blowing head gasket that then let go pretty badly. Dodgy temp sender meant i never caught it before it cooked properly.
Anyway, it's gone now, gone to Melbourne to be a spare parts car for someone who bought a 164Q new. Just didn't have the time/money to sort it out with impending wedding and trying to get the 105 finished for my wedding...
1966 GTV
GTV27
Platinum
Platinum

Post by GTV27 »

congrats on impending nuptuals
Jason
1983 GTV6 2.8 litre