Anything that does not fit into other topics.
la_strega_nera
Platinum
Platinum

QLD Floods

Post by la_strega_nera »

I'm ok, Daniel is ok, haven't heard from Jason (GTV27) - I think his parents and his 105 are out at Warwick which got flooded yesterday... hope all is ok out there!
1966 GTV
1982 Suzuki "Bathurst" Katana
1995 Cagiva Mito (race kitted 250 powered)
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: QLD Floods

Post by Zamani »

Mate, I saw a YouTube video of a small stream running close to an office parking lot. It over flowed within minutes! Our prayers are with you all.
Dr. Alban
la_strega_nera
Platinum
Platinum

Post by la_strega_nera »

Thanks Z, its been pretty crazy watching some of the stuff going on. Got in contact with Jason, he's fine (just short on sleep with his new bubble) and his Parents are pretty high up at Warwick and are fine. MD should be fine down at his way I think?
1966 GTV
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

It was just some rain for a few days but after a night of some serious drinking I found I needed to evacuate some Fourex over the balcony which all went fine in the dark. Next morning I see it all on television the whole joint is all flooded. Faaark ! I can't believe what I had done. I swear I'll never have another beer again.. :wall:

..lucky I live on a hill..but I am looking for Noah's blueprints..
Attachments
2011-01-13_194237.jpg
2011-01-13_194237.jpg (53.96 KiB) Viewed 7199 times
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
GTV27
Platinum
Platinum

Post by GTV27 »

yep, we're all good - high and dry here - just a bit sleep deprived. Its a good year to NOT be living near the river! Pray the low in the coral sea doesn't turn into a cyclone and come to join the party.
Jason
1983 GTV6 2.8 litre
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Looks pretty hectic there . Our reports are that you have more area under water than the size of Germany and france .
Were also having serious downpours here . Sofar 32 people have lost there lives here but sadly it's mainly the very poor people living on banks of the rivers in informal settlements.
Will those areas recover in Queensland once water subsides or will it take decades ?
Typhoon90
Gold
Gold

Post by Typhoon90 »

Contrary to media reports, most of the water is quite slow flowing. I would say 90% of the houses that have flooded will be able to be reinhabited after removing carpets and hosing them out. Sure, stuff will be lost, but it can all be replaced. If you still have a house, it makes things much easier.
They'll need cosmetic work, but not structural work. The media has been fixated with showing footage from one small flash flooding event, rest assured, the vast majority of the flooding is NOT like that.
What shocks me is that Brisbane had at least 48 hours notice of this, and no one prepared and nor did the government. For example, all the floating ferry wharves on the Brisbane river could've been easily detached and towed away, but weren't and now they're destroyed. Pretty dumb move for a city that relies heavily on ferries for public transport.
There are going to be a lot of hairy questions being asked once this one recedes.....
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Hi Kevin,

Loss of life here in the main has been due to accidents of timing, elements of suprise or foolhardy actions by some of the victims. It's not like Bangladesh or the like. Fortunately we don't have communities living in such circumstances.

The ecology of Australia depends on fire, flood and drought. It's the natural cycle of things and people understand that. They may not like it, but they understand it and things will sort themselves out in a reasonable time with some pain in the interim.
la_strega_nera
Platinum
Platinum

Post by la_strega_nera »

Typhoon90 wrote:Contrary to media reports, most of the water is quite slow flowing. I would say 90% of the houses that have flooded will be able to be reinhabited after removing carpets and hosing them out. Sure, stuff will be lost, but it can all be replaced. If you still have a house, it makes things much easier.
They'll need cosmetic work, but not structural work. The media has been fixated with showing footage from one small flash flooding event, rest assured, the vast majority of the flooding is NOT like that.
What shocks me is that Brisbane had at least 48 hours notice of this, and no one prepared and nor did the government. For example, all the floating ferry wharves on the Brisbane river could've been easily detached and towed away, but weren't and now they're destroyed. Pretty dumb move for a city that relies heavily on ferries for public transport.
There are going to be a lot of hairy questions being asked once this one recedes.....
Nice armchair expert work from Canberra. The construction of the pontoons does not allow them to be detached and towed away easily, the fucking ferry system was the least of anyone's concern. There was not 48 hours warning for much of this as you suggest.
1966 GTV
Typhoon90
Gold
Gold

Post by Typhoon90 »

la_strega_nera wrote:
Typhoon90 wrote:Contrary to media reports, most of the water is quite slow flowing. I would say 90% of the houses that have flooded will be able to be reinhabited after removing carpets and hosing them out. Sure, stuff will be lost, but it can all be replaced. If you still have a house, it makes things much easier.
Nice armchair expert work from Canberra. The construction of the pontoons does not allow them to be detached and towed away easily, the fucking ferry system was the least of anyone's concern. There was not 48 hours warning for much of this as you suggest.

I grew up on the Clarence river, I know all about floods and how to deal with them....
It's odd, here in Canberra, I knew Brisbane was going to flood 48 hours before it happened, it was all over the news.....it was common knowledge the Wivenhoe dam would have to dump a LOT of water, and how much that water would affect the dam....
And yeah, I actually have a good friend who built those pontoons, so how about YOU pull your head in?
That's how these planning fuck ups happen, people forget the past and are too self absorbed to think more than five minutes ahead.....which is typical of self absorbed inner city dwellers, and contractors......anyway, why don't you keep your aggressive BS over at the Alfa owners club of Australia, where it is actively encouraged and rewarded by the moderators?
Shoot first and ask questions later eh?
GTV27
Platinum
Platinum

Post by GTV27 »

Its easy to be tossing around 'shouldas' and 'couldas' at this stage, and there are plenty of things to blame govts for, but the State and Local Governments have responded very well to this situation.

While plenty of individuals didn't take it seriously until too late, plenty did and have minimised the damage. Moving the contents of your house out with 24 hours is not however easy for many people without the ability or means to procure it. Neither is relocating significant items of public infrastructure when limited resources need to be put to other more pressing tasks.

The media is focussing on what went wrong and provides sensational tv - no surprise there. Its a massive natural disaster - even with a weeks notice, many things could not have been prevented.

So how about less smartarse comments from afar?
Jason
1983 GTV6 2.8 litre
Typhoon90
Gold
Gold

Post by Typhoon90 »

GTV27 wrote:Its easy to be tossing around 'shouldas' and 'couldas' at this stage, and there are plenty of things to blame govts for, but the State and Local Governments have responded very well to this situation.

While plenty of individuals didn't take it seriously until too late, plenty did and have minimised the damage. Moving the contents of your house out with 24 hours is not however easy for many people without the ability or means to procure it. Neither is relocating significant items of public infrastructure when limited resources need to be put to other more pressing tasks.

The media is focussing on what went wrong and provides sensational tv - no surprise there. Its a massive natural disaster - even with a weeks notice, many things could not have been prevented.

So how about less smartarse comments from afar?

My comments are valid. I grew up on a river that floods way more than once every 34 years. Did you read my post at all? I've been there and done that. I've tied lawn furniture to house piers, moved furniture etc.
So, how about a little more listening to those that have experienced it, and more than once in the past? All I hear is people who lived in Brisbane and were completely unaffected, and have never been through a flood before. So, what's that about armchair experts and smartarse comments from afar? .......
It's a strange attitude, someone attacks someone else on a forum, and when they defend themselves, they are the problem? :?
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

My wife saw one pic of drenched Animals in a boat and donated fifty bucks to animal rescue in Brisbane.
la_strega_nera
Platinum
Platinum

Post by la_strega_nera »

Typhoon, perhaps next time you should call BCC and tell them what they should be doing.
I'd like to see you post that over at PF.
Alot of people here are hurting - we're housing my Gf's brother and his gf because their place got flooded and is non functioning, a friend of his still can't even get to his house because its under water. We also looked after my dad while he was cut off from home and mum for 3 days.
I stand by my comment that the fucking ferry platforms was the least of anyones concerns.
Last edited by la_strega_nera on Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1966 GTV
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Common guys let's chill a little. We're an alfa family here and certainly don't need more agro than is generated by nature at the moment. Some positive stories might be more helpful..