Jim K
Verde
Verde

Re: 4-cylinder turbo performance

Post by Jim K »

I'm thinking to fill part of a combustion chamber with playdoh and pushing the piston up there to see what the squish band looks like. Definitely better than the stock piston.
Believe it or not, the flywheel finally let go at idle! He was one lucky sob! :roll:

On another note, next week I will post pics of my 3liter 24v engine which we just stuffed in my mechanic's 75 (red, what else?). This is the one I've had ready for years now...We should be ready to map/dyno by mid-February. The plan is to have an auto electrician (someone who's good at this) make up a proper wiring harness for this installation as reasonably enough, fit of the fwd 164Q4 harness -while functional- is not as it should be. This will happen after we're done testing the car. I believe I did a good job of adapting the rwd plenum on this engine...pics next week!
Jim K.
Maurizio
Verde
Verde

Post by Maurizio »

Image :shock:

I always feared the step/notch just outside the mounting holes of the flywheel design of a 75.
Of course there are not many people making enough power and doing trafiic light burnouts to do this but still....

What is going in as a replacement, self made steel flywheel?
Banned.. ? ;-) Daily donky.. ==> BMW 325d Image
E36M3 (3.0) Ringtool :twisted: ==> definitely BANNED!

AR 75 TS Ringtool '90, AR Spider 2000 veloce '79
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Noooo, nothing that costs money, heheh! Just the same flywheel from another 1.8T!! :)
Jim K.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

"Better" then stock pistons? You mean you want a lot of squish on a turbo? You're crazy, you know that? 8)
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Stock pistons have no squish as I see it (or next to non-existent). Squish will definitely benefit non-boost driving response (which is actually where daily driven cars spend most of their time) and I could not find any concrete reasons regarding possible negative effects of this practice when under boost. After all, looking at the parts, proximity to the head looks to be like 3mm or so; do you consider that very little? A lot of engine builders consider squish adequate when there are ...imprints left on the parts, ie actual contact :shock:
Jim K.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

There is a kind of "squish wedge" on the stock stuff, works pretty well I'm told.
Squish on boosted engines can cause pre-ignition. Not very nice.
I assume you speak of naturally aspirated engines when you bring up contact as a good measurement for squish?
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Yes, I just wanted to bring things into perspective; not that I'm advocating anything of the sort!
Jim K.
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Maurizio wrote:Image :shock:

I always feared the step/notch just outside the mounting holes of the flywheel design of a 75.
Of course there are not many people making enough power and doing trafiic light burnouts to do this but still....

What is going in as a replacement, self made steel flywheel?
That's a first. I haven't seen a broken Alfa Flywheel before.

Greg
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Post by fedezyl »

Nice! good to see Paul Spruell is going to make parts for the TS, the only 75's we have over here ar TS's apart from a rare Turbo Diesel one imported by the italian embassy...too bad, I always liked the 75 turbo, how much one of these is going for nowadays in Europe?
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Depending on condition, from 1500Euros and up. The most expensive ones are real Evo examples going for ~12-15kEuros.
Jim K.
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Post by fedezyl »

JimGreek wrote:Depending on condition, from 1500Euros and up. The most expensive ones are real Evo examples going for ~12-15kEuros.
Jim K.
So i'm guessing one in need of a paint job and new interior but complete and running should go for what, 3000 euros? :D
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

You're about right. As an example of what you can find, check out this 1993 (!) 1.6. I almost bought it last month, to transplant everything from my older turbo (1987) but by the time the guy accepted my 2500Euro offer I had already sent my car to the body shop. Now this car is what I'd call perfect. Always garaged, no excessive mileage (he has 3 other Alfas) and the color is NOT faded! To tell the truth, I'm still thinking of buying it but I have ho place to hide it from my other half, heheh! Not often you see a 1993 car as they were only made for a few months before production ended.
http://www.car.gr/classifieds/cars/view/1187370/
Click under the pics for larger images.
Jim K.
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Post by fedezyl »

Interesting web page, it seems there are many alfas in greece, we can import over here any car that is over 20 years old, but the tax you pay depends on how much customs says it's worth, so if it's with bad paint and interior it's pretty much the ideal thing, otherwise even though you might have payed it say, 5000 euros, they can definetely say that it's worth 12000 euros and pay tax over that price..
Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

This evening i collected a 75 Tb engine short block, a 75 Tb gearbox and some Tb parts like intercooler, exhaust manifolds and an ecu and AFM for the total amount of 77 euro's ( 6 crates of beer :lol: ).

I alway's regretted selling my own Tb engine a few years ago so i now have a new chance. :)

The cylinderhead that came with the engine is cracked and all the stuff lik valves and cams is transplanted into an 1.8IE head. They measured both heads up and they were identical apparently. :) They only miss the letter "T" on the stamp. :wink:

Now i'm thinking about what car to put the engine in... damn i need another Giulietta for it. :twisted: I have a nice turbo from an Mitsu Evo 7 lying around, as well as some bigger injectors and stuff, would make some nice power with that i guess. :P
Drive it like you stole it...
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

So, you bought 77 euros worth of beer, chatted the owner up, got him drunk, then threw a couple of beer cans at him for good measure? You're pretty smart!
Dr. Alban