Please post a pic of yourself or your car tell us about yourself and let us know where you are from.
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

hah! not me..... my sis' ex bf! he has some panel beating experience.

The dents are all around the edge of the rear hatch section. I'm not too worried abut it, actually. The rear quarter is mostly fine. Just the section around the beaver. Which will be replaced, anyway! Thanks Giuletta!
Fixing it bit by bit....
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Re: My rebuild!

Post by SydneyJules »

So to continue from the performance section:

Wheel to wheel racing would be great- I'd get another car so I can do that. But I can't justify the cost at the moment. Maybe not ever? I don't know.

Right now, I'm driving an Auto, FWD, Subaru Liberty stationwagon. I'm keeping it alive to give to my dad. I've gotta get this GTV going again, because it is driving me to be old!
I guess I'm just an enthusiast, and I want to drive the thing often. As in, maybe 3-5 times a week- which is all the driving I do, anyway. I want to be able to drive it fast and give it the berries every now and then, hence the RS suspension I will be ordering soon, and the 166 Brembos. The bilsteins will be sold when the time comes. Interested parties are welcome to enquire. Make an offer. They won't be out for a bit, though. Probably done about 5000km.

The sound deadening is all out now.
Lizardskin is on the way. The hot rod guys say this stuff is amazing. So light and with good tints, keeps the heat away amazingly well. And they're in Qld- where all the cane toads, and MD and JasonGTV27 come from :lol: Nice and warm- just spray it on.
I will post pics once it's done. The interior floor, roof, halfway up the firewall, door inners and boot are getting the ceramic heat treatment and the interior floor and up the firewall are getting the sound deadening treatment. Then carpet will be laid over the top. Finally had a response from Tru-Fit carpets. They say they're moulded. I am expecting to trim them up.

PIcked up the Zender kit and wheels.
The Zender kit is like something out of a timewarp. Made in Germany stickers still on it, came with the bumper impact inserts, and the resin it's made out of is really good quality. A bargain at $1500, IMO. Not very light, though!
I plan to use the 2.0 bonnet moulding, and to cut out the front and rear ridges to make it vented. It will be moulded into my old 2.0 bonnet, and I will cut a whole heap of metal and skin out of the centre, to clear the plenum, initially.... but..... eventually I will have the GSXr Throttles sticking up in there.

Anyone with an idea on the different sizes these are available in, please let me know- MD? You just went there for your TS... how big did you go?
This guy I know is a tool maker- he literally mills everything he can out of billet, because he likes making things! Anyway, I'm pretty sure a few bottles of bourbon will have me a set of runners matched to the throttles. Figuring out the linkage will be a PITA but hey, this guy made a billet grille for his '32 something or other hot rod, so I'm sure we'll come up with something.
I kinda went budget and bought a 2nd hand Haltech E11v2- not as good as a Platinum sprint, but I want to run direct fire and sequential injection on mine- it was less than half the price of a Platinum sprint 2000, which I needed to do it. Yeah it's older, but it will be better than my ancient F7!

I am buying a modified Dizzy off my mechanic (who is moving to QLD, BTW)- it's a billet job modified to run a hall effect Sensor for a TDC reference. I'll get it tuned via TPS/RPM (what did you do, MD? What TPS?) Apparently the E11v2 doesn't like a 60-2. The dizzy will be less stuffing around, anyway. And it's there. Paul K (alfetta GT1.8T) will help me wire it up (god bless that man- a real gentleman).

The wheels aren't OZ Superturismos, as I thought - they are 156 Superturismos, a 17 x 7" 156 option. They've had the inner lip machined out and they will serve the purpose of getting the car going and registered. They have 90% Goodyear/Dunlop tread on them- I couldn't say no for $500. They will become my trackday rims, with semi slicks on them, but I guess I'll have to use a spacer to clear the 166 brembos. I also want a pair of original wheels so I can fit some cheap, nasty, hard, skinny tyres to them - will make drifting it a lot easier on the diff ..... :twisted:
There's a homebuilt circuit not far out of Sydney, so I will use that as my sideways play circuit, and attend trackdays at Eastern Creek and Wakefield park when I want a speed hit. Probably once every month or so.

I am intending to purchase some of Tomer's original tan pinstripe cloth for the re-trim. But with bank fees in there it is really expensive. As in, more than my haltech, or wheels or even the seats I'm looking at.....I was hoping to have the interior completely trimmed while the car was getting it's bodywork fixed, to speed it all up. I still haven't settled on a pair of seats. I keep losing the auctions. I really would like a pair of mesh headrest recaros. Just for that period look. I don't want the car to be all blinged, so I don't want the seats to be too modern. I will see what I can afford... hopefully one of these bids wins soon!

Bodywork news- the rear beaver is out completely, but the boot still needs some sound deadening removed- I can't get the lower fitting off the tank and so I can't remove the tank out of the boot. Play with that weds.

Doors will come off weds, too- but I don't really know if I need to. I mean, they align really well.... my friend insists they have to come off. I'd like to just pull the glass out... input welcome.
The windscreens should be out soon. The guy is real busy. I don't like playing with glass. Had too much of it wedged in my hand!

Aiming to have the car in my own parking spot at home (under cover, unit block) within a few months, so I can start putting it back together. Still need to buy seals. Looked at MrFiat.com - it's probably the go. Not cheap!

Once it's all together and running, I will need the rear of the exhaust modified to exit on the RHS (zender kit vs the GP 2.0 kit I originally had), add a muffler, then it's off to Rego.
Then I will start looking for Discs for the 166 brembos, getting bits together for the 6 throttles and wiring up the E11v2.

So there's the plan.... less talk, more ACTION!

As an aside, Vin Sharp (PACE) said 6k for a 100mm bore job, with pistons and liners. I don't trust my rods, as they're stock, shot peened, balanced and linished. Will need new rods anyway if I bore it out. Blower is looking more the go.
But that is a while off, yet!
Fixing it bit by bit....
Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

If you use 2003+ 156 GTA discs (330x32) you can use an easy adapter to fit the 166 brembo callipers. :wink: The brembo's will need 4mm widening plates to fit over the disc but these are easy to make since there is no fluid going through them ( there is a brake line from one half to the other half of the calliper).

The drawing for the adapter and pictures of the setup can be found in one of the last pages at the "Some more brake-upgrades for the 116"- topic. :wink:

330mm will fit inside a 17" wheel. If your 17's are the GTA Speedline wheels they'll fit without a spacer as i have those exact wheels myself. 8)
Drive it like you stole it...
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

Thanks for the awesome tip GiuliEvo! My wheels aren't the speedlines, unfortunately, but the less screwing around with discs, the better. At least the Alfa ones will have the 5x98 bolt pattern ready to go... I'll look into those! Thanks!
Fixing it bit by bit....
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

Hey Guys,

I've been a bit flat out with a new endorsement and upgrade at work- For Greg, Fedezyl and Matt Dolan if you're still browsing, I'm currently in Brisbane doing an F/O conversion onto the Embraer 190. No more galavanting around LA and Abu Dhabi (or Johberg either, unfortunately)- I'm off to Domestic ops for a few years.
This seems like a great little aircraft (little compared to the 777-300ER)- and I'm looking forward to flying a jet into uncontrolled aerodromes.
I also started doing a bit more aerobatic flying for fun, but this is on hold until I'm back in Sydney.

Tomer's immaculate Tan material arrived and the interior is off being re-trimmed in a combo of closely resembling the original colours- dark tan vinyl outer seat areas and upper and lower door trims, beige velour mid sections and tan pin stripe velour centres. I'll have before and after pics soon enough.

After seeing Michael's cream leather, I wondered........! But it's done and paid for, and I'm not re-trimming it twice!

Before I left to come up to Brisbane, the car went into the panel shop, stripped of trimmings and ready for the repair of the rear beaver and partial boot floor. We cut a hole in the old 2.0 bonnet for the Zender bonnet moulding and I'm getting a fibreglass skin made up to copy this, so I can cut the vents out.

I found a large rust hole and a not-so-large rust hole in the door sills (pass/driver respectively).... floor is perfect.

Purchased lizardskin (http://www.lizardskin.com) and this will be painted all through the interior (all sound deadening removed)- I should end up with a quiet (ish), heat insulated car with not too much weight addition.

I decided to keep the sun roof- this car will be, as someone so accurately put it, an R-Type car- not too comfortable, not too un-comfortable.
I found a NOS Hollandia/SunMate sunroof (glass, pop-up) in the box for next to nothing, so this will go in after painting. I like being able to take the glass out on long drives and have air circulating through the car. The girls seem to like it too :roll: :wink:

I'm waiting on bank details so I can buy the RS stuff- hopefully happen ASAP. getting pre-damped, not the adjustable damping as I'd originally planned. There was a serious price hike on these in the last few months, and the cash saved will go towards tuning the HaltechE11v2. Also getting the trackday watts link.

Hoping to be back in SYdney by end of July, beginning of August so I can start putting it back together. I have heaps of holidays I have to take, so that'll fit in somewhere around there.

If it's done around September, She'll be registered with the current brake setup and ECU, rolling on the 156 17x7s. The New ECU and GTA calipers will go on after that. If not, I'll do it all straight away and wait till beginning of next year.

Then the 6 throttle setup will start. This will be a budget bit of home "tuning", just because I want to. I believe there's some serous gains to be had with my angry little 2.5.
And the sound of 8000 rpm breathing through six throttles, well, I have to have that at least ONCE in my life :P

Then I'll start putting $$$ aside for a low comp re-build (8.5:1) and a blower install. All in good time.

So it's all happening, and I;ll post pics when I take them
Attachments
IMG_1518.jpg
IMG_1518.jpg (212.42 KiB) Viewed 6400 times
IMG_1577.JPG
IMG_1577.JPG (221.74 KiB) Viewed 6400 times
Fixing it bit by bit....
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Post by fedezyl »

Good news Jules! i'm flying the CRJ900 now, Embraer is pretty much the same with more kit, nicer airplane in my opinion, but yes, small, and noise, I had to get a set of Bose A20 headsets to mitigate the noise.
I'm in Paris at the annual IFALPA conference now, if anyone is around.
Congrats on the upgrade!
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Hi Jules
Good to see progress . If you want to save few bucks at this stage then I would not get rear watts linkage but just put new alfa bushes in original . I gave spare bushes if you want . Just collect when here .
Can you still getvthe black velvet pinstripe from tomer ?I am looking for that material and the normal black as well.
Regarding individual throttle on the 2.5 in your spec I believe you will only gain5% more power and it's a real bitch to map . This is based on a few cases here ( but - read why below). It's even harder to map on a turbo with itb as you got positive and negativevpressure at the same Time in the 6 itb . You really got to to knowvyour story well . The main problem when the guys go itb is they don't make correct air box to go on top and just end up sucking in hot air so their gains are minmal. To look for gains you're expecting will take a lot of thought on itb . Have you seen the induction box on the itb on the 156 coloni - brilliant and they are revving to8800 rpm . Sadly the gtv does not lend itself to same set up as coloni .
Also you will have no vacuum for brakes - not that you will need with big discs .
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

Interesting with the watts- I've already ordered it, though!

The six throttles won't stay for the sc setup when I go that way- I'll rebuild with around 8.5:1 and beefy rods, and sell the cams, rods and pistons with the ITB setup- ill stick the original plenum and TB back on. This is a while off, though! I need to buy myself a flat soon!

One of the things I've seen with the motorbike ITB setups is a grouping of the vacuum signal to still. Run a booster. I'm looking at getting one of dan's dual master setups anyway.
Fixing it bit by bit....
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

Rear repair job: They've started prepping the car for painting, now, and once it's prepped, they'll do the lizard skin coating and get the bodykit prepped to fit.
Attachments
IMG_0008.JPG
IMG_0008.JPG (46.44 KiB) Viewed 6344 times
Fixing it bit by bit....
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

Thanks Fedezyl! The CRJs look like a nice piece of kit, too! Are they a honeywell FMS setup?
Fixing it bit by bit....
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Post by fedezyl »

SydneyJules wrote:Thanks Fedezyl! The CRJs look like a nice piece of kit, too! Are they a honeywell FMS setup?
Collins, it's good but getting old in technology
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

OK, so my ERJ190 endorsement study is complete and has given me a bit of time to update things before I start line training on the actual thing:

* Rear end repaired entirely- very nicely- they cut the repair beaver along the panel, and stitched it in.

* Rust removed: Lower front guard inner (usual spot), Passenger door sill lower and side, Driver's door sill side, Driver's door (small spot), both rear window sections.

* Zender kit trimmed and mounted.

Had to decide on a colour, and they're going to match the previous red, which wasn't actually an Alfa red, but which does the car's lines justice, IMO.

I had a large internal debate (which ended up becoming external when I got Ben - La Strega Nera involved!!) about going two tone, with the lower half gunmetal.
The image below made my life hard. I still have time to make the call, but I always envisaged some nice, plain looking 5 spoke wheels with gold centres- actually, the Blue GTV6 on the title page has some Work Meister wheels, and I'm looking at the ROTA D1 copies of these in 17"
Well, I think that Two Tone with Gold centre wheels would be a little too busy for my liking.

If anyone is able to mock up a photoshop image of the two tone GTV6 below with Gold centred wheels, I'd be much appreciated :)

In other news, the interior is nearly finished- they've been taking their time because I told them they could (i've been interstate), I picked up a pair of Vitaloni Baby Tornado mirrors NOS, and the RS kit has been ordered.

I'm getting there :roll:
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (215.06 KiB) Viewed 6286 times
IMG_1814.JPG
IMG_1814.JPG (229.33 KiB) Viewed 6286 times
IMG_1813.JPG
IMG_1813.JPG (236.51 KiB) Viewed 6286 times
IMG_1808.JPG
IMG_1808.JPG (212.34 KiB) Viewed 6286 times
Fixing it bit by bit....
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Jules , the two tone would look good . But with the darker tone below you do need the wheels to liven up the bottom half . If you do the gold on rims you can always go back. Keep the dishes polished as well .
And while you at it just put a bolt in centre hoop in tying back to the rear shock towers .
Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

Here you can see a lot of pictures from GTV's including two tone cars, maybe that's of some help? :)

and here some more.. :wink:
Drive it like you stole it...
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

Thanks for the link GiulettaEvo!

I'm a bit worried about the car being too busy with 3 colours....

I've settled on the red with gold centred rims to come sometime later this year- once I've put
The Brembos (GTV ones, not 166 as I thought originally) on and measured clearance.

Kevin, are you saying to get a tower brace for the rear shock towers?

I'm looking forward to driving this thing in anger at the track...

Depending on the timeframe it take to put it together, two things will occur-
If I have it together by October, I'll put the car on the road then, however, if it's not ready by Xmas,
I'll wire in the new ECU and get it tuned and look at outing it on the road early next year-
I don't want to be paying for registration and insurance around Xmas every year!
Fixing it bit by bit....