miguels244
Silver
Silver

Pulling a GTV6 Engine.

Post by miguels244 »

First, Greetings.
I have been helping my brother for close to two decades with his GTV6. Lots of fun stuff. Cams, water pump, t belt, stereo, solid state fan control, A/C delete...including addition of Alfetta ducting.
A few years ago he let the magic green steam out and put it into the garage awaiting a 3.0l, well the 3.0 is about ready and we are getting ready to do the swap. We have the full harness and brain, so that should go smoothly (Milano Verde).
The primary question I am looking to confirm is mechanical.
Pulling the motor.

As it sits the front guibo is loose but the SOB still doesn't want to come out.
We have the book on DVD, but any tricks? I don't have the magic lever to bolt to the rear motor mount/bell housing/flywheel cover.
We are doing this with out a lift but with a cherry picker.

It looks like dropping the drive shaft is necessary, it's kind of a pain pre 85.5 but still a good idea.
Is that correct.

For reference I have probably pulled, rebuilt, and stuffed 50 motors in my life, but as you get close to 50 your interest level in crawling under a car and back out multiple times wanes, and this is a new one to me

Should be fun, he sprang for the hot cams and the tubular headers and high flow cats. :)

Love driving this car, it needs to be out putting miles on the clock.

Thanks all.
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Re: Pulling a GTV6 Engine.

Post by MR2 Zig »

Leave the front guibo bolted to the flywheel. There is a pinch bolt behind the guibo. Loosen that and then work the driveshaft out. The shaft has a spline at the front. To get the shaft out disconnect it from the transaxle, take out the bolts holding the DeDion frame to the body and jack up (carefully) the DeDion axle tube and the front of the transaxle will move downward. Disconnect the shaft hanger bearing and remove the shifter shaft. You then can work the shaft to the rear past the DeDion enough to get the front section out.

If you decide to split the front and rear portions of the driveshaft make SURE they are put back together in the same orientation. A paint stripe down the shaft should do to identify orientation.

I did mine with an engine hoist too. Get the car up on jack stands all the way around as high as you can. Pull the hood and radiator. Leave exhaust manifolds in place. Its easier to disconnect the starter wires at the firewall and take starter and cables out with the engine. Pull the intake plenum, grounds that are there and fuel injection harness, fuel lines and that should be about it.

Get used to pulling the exhaust system on this as it is in the way of everything else and has to be pulled first to do much of anything under the car.

For more good info go here http://www.hiperformancestore.com/guiboDSclutch.htm
and here http://www.hiperformancestore.com/Performance.htm

Otherwise look around on this site ... there is a lot of great info to be found.

Oh, by the way, you don't need the funny bar, just tilt the engine up a lot and watch the back end of the rear engine mount to keep it from dragging on the firewall on the way.

Welcome to the board!
MR1 Zig (I made rate!)
Machinery Repairman USNR
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

From my experience you can take engine out with prop in by just loosing the pinch bolt on the the prop shaft BUT I have never managed to put engine back with prop in . I'm still not. Huge fn of disconnecting prop in centre as that can take 5 mins or an hour to get bearing in and even though it might be put back in same place it (prop) can be fractionally out off alignment . That fraction can "sometimes " lead to vibration .
miguels244
Silver
Silver

Post by miguels244 »

We wound up separating the center guibo to make it easier to wrangle.
Found myself wishing we had the lever.

The 3.0 is in the garage, the nasty 2.5 is stripped.
Next weekend we'll dress the 3.0 and if the stars are aligned we'll get it on the mounts.

Thanks for the help.

FYI the 2.5 will probably be available for sale soon.
We are in Colorado USA.
miguels244
Silver
Silver

Post by miguels244 »

I will be firing up the CNC to make a 3.0 badge too.