Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

New Design, Cold Air Intakes for the V6 cars

Post by Greg Gordon »

Well, I decided to offer an actual cold air intake upgrade as an option on my intakes. We can now offer it with the K&N Apollo filter system, this is not one of the cheap knock-offs, it's the actual Apollo filter. It seals the filter from engine bay heat, and has a really nice velocity stack built in at the base.

The filter lines up with the factory fresh air duct and can be sealed to it if desired, so it's a true cold air system. This is going to be an expensive option, about $100 as the Apollo is really pricy, and I have to shorten the main elbow and vacuum port ring by hand in order to make it all fit.

Anyway, here are some pictures:
Attachments
zAintake2.JPG
zAintake2.JPG (127.8 KiB) Viewed 11255 times
zAintake1.JPG
zAintake1.JPG (93.72 KiB) Viewed 11255 times
alfatrapp
Silver
Silver

Re: New Design, Cold Air Intakes for the V6 cars

Post by alfatrapp »

In regards to the engine vibration/torquing, is there any issue with the plastic-cannister (that the air filter is housed in) being fixed to the cold-air port on the car. Is the price just for the plastic canister that surrounds the air filter? Is this something you're associated w/if someone is interested in purchasing the unit?
Thnx
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Definitely the right way to go . You really get to appreciate the difference of cool air when you run six carbs and duct it all into cold air . Carbs are so sensitive and don't have the corective loop system of injection so this set up will make a big difference without you actually knowing it on the L jet system :D - nice innovation without have to cut the body work and showing the filter next to the horn .
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

alfatrapp wrote:In regards to the engine vibration/torquing, is there any issue with the plastic-cannister (that the air filter is housed in) being fixed to the cold-air port on the car. Is the price just for the plastic canister that surrounds the air filter? Is this something you're associated w/if someone is interested in purchasing the unit?
Thnx
No issues there at all. The kit includes flexible ducting which can seal it to the port. Plus the filter is attached to the AFM which is attached to the body via a metal bracket not shown in the picture (but you can see it in lots of other pictures of this intake). So the silicone downstream of the AFM is what flexes when the motor moves around.

I am not sure I understand your last sentence. This is essentially the same intake I have been making and selling for about 10 years. It's just the latest update. Some people wanted a true cold air option, so here it is!

Greg,
www.hiperformancestore.com
www.hiperformancestore-fiat.com
www.okinjectors.com
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

kevin wrote:Definitely the right way to go . You really get to appreciate the difference of cool air when you run six carbs and duct it all into cold air . Carbs are so sensitive and don't have the corective loop system of injection so this set up will make a big difference without you actually knowing it on the L jet system :D - nice innovation without have to cut the body work and showing the filter next to the horn .
Thanks Kevin,

Cold air is better, but even the old version of my intake performs very well. I think my older version was the best on the market, but this new option makes it a little better.

We may put a kit together to allow users of the older system to retrofit to the newer system.

Greg,
www.okinjectors.com
AlfaAnthony
Silver
Silver

Post by AlfaAnthony »

Greg, are you going to offer a modified version for those of us not running AFM's? Also any claims for horsepower with and without your system?
Tony Brucia
Long Island, NY
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

The way I see it you NOT going to loose horsepower when everything gets hot under that hood .
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

AlfaAnthony,

We claim 5hp on a stock 2.5 with our OLD system. I am not changing the claim for the new system, nor do I intend to dyno it. A version without the AFM is available, it has been since the beginning.

Kevin,

That's correct!

Greg,
www.okinjectors.com
AlfaAnthony
Silver
Silver

Post by AlfaAnthony »

I don't see where you offer the air intake WITHOUT AFM. I see only stock AFM and aftermarket AFM (whatever that is)

Anthony
Long Island
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

AlfaAnthony wrote:I don't see where you offer the air intake WITHOUT AFM. I see only stock AFM and aftermarket AFM (whatever that is)

Anthony
Long Island
Hmm, good point! I don't see it either. Well, trust me, we do sell it that way. If you order one, just be sure to specify NO AFM and state what you are running i.e. megasqurit or whatever. Our website has been up since 1998 and seriously needs to be updated, we are working on it. It's going to be more like our Fiat site.

The aftermarket AFM is either the Zat Super Sucker or the AFM suggested in the old Autodelta instructions on building a 200hp 2.5 (the instructions are on my site if you are really curious about it.) It's an L-JET BMW M535i AFM. They are very very rare. I still have one sitting around!

Greg,
http://www.hiperformancestore.com
http://www.hiperformancestore-fiat.com
http://www.okinjectors.com
AlfaAnthony
Silver
Silver

Post by AlfaAnthony »

Thanks Greg. Not sure if I was losing it or not! I was running the BMW AFM (and computer) as well for awhile but decided to go Go Tech and got uprated motronic style injectors from you which work great.
Thanks,
Tony Brucia
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Hi Tony,

Switching to Gotech was smart. Ten years ago, modifying L-Jet made sense for a lot of people. Now that the parts are drying up and are expensive while at the same time prices have come down on the modern systems, it makes much more sense to upgrade.

Greg
AlfaAnthony
Silver
Silver

Post by AlfaAnthony »

I was afraid with oversize valves, C & B cams and a few other tweaks, the L jet would run lean at higher rpm no matter what I did to the L-jet. Go tech is MUCH easier to adjust. The only thing I've never been able to get right is running in the cold weather until it warms up. Still looking for that magic recipe, but overall, I'm very happy with the Go-tech.

Tony
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Yup, cold staring and warm up is by far the hardest thing to get sorted out. I am going to guess your car needs more fuel during the warm up period. These engine seem to need crazy amounts of extra fuel on cold days until they warm up.

Greg,
www.okinjectors.com
75evo
Verde
Verde

Post by 75evo »

I wonder if it is the comb. chamber design which causes this? Autronic has a nice table where you adjust % of warm up enrichment. At x temp, increase fuel by y%. My car with about 11:1 and RJR cams. Starts at the 2nd try. idles rough for about 2-3 seconds then everything goes back to normal. But I think this is due to the cams. I never had problems with stock cams. The cams are not bad at all, but just can't expect factory idle quality with such big cams.