Please post a pic of yourself or your car tell us about yourself and let us know where you are from.
75evo
Verde
Verde

Re: Hello from relocation to UK

Post by 75evo »

Amazing! I really need to go to Goodwood one of these years. And maybe visit Ace Cafe in London just to check it out? I will be in Cornwall next year but only in August. Maybe I can make it to an Alfa day in the south? You guys have something on at that time? I'd like to go to or maybe to at least one AROC UK race at Cadwell.
KevinR
Verde
Verde

Post by KevinR »

Z , on my calendar for good events is definitely Goodwood Members meeting which you don't have to be a member . This is normally weekend of 17th March . Then the huge Italian car day is Auto Italia day at Brooklands at end of April with over 5000 people attending . This generally a static gathering with few cars going on the test track . Later on in the year in August at Brandshatch is the new event called Festival Italia where you have a large Alfa stactic display plus two rounds of the Alfa championship . This event is probably the best . Through out the summer there are loads of other Alfa club events which also pretty so you don't get bored for a second . Hope this helps you . I will keep this thread updated this year
BussoV6
Silver
Silver

Post by BussoV6 »

Wow! Nice pics Kevin. Looks like a great event.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Re: Hello from relocation to UK with my two South African GT

Post by kevin »

Well summer is finally here which gets the motivation going to do some maintenance work on the carbi GTV 6 . It's been a pretty amazing car for last twenty years and still has not let me down ie stuck on side of road . What's more amazing I have only had the carbs tuned once . Trick has been not to fiddle with them and look elsewhere when their is issue ie hesitation or misfire . A new rotor and cap along with plugs has kept perfect for last few years . The cold UK winters does tend to foul the plugs so I don't let it idle when engine is cold but take it up slowly through the rev range .
My worry now is the increase in ethanol in fuels so I'm gonna have to find some additive for the carbs to protect them . Anyone know or tried something ?
Today's job has been on cards for a while . The steering rack had play in the rack not in the track rods but I replaced them anyway with along with rods engines . The rack was rebushed and now it's perfect . I had noticed my steering univeral joint was starting to fail in the usual place with the rubber perishing and the inside section starting to slide out . Previously in SA I had this rubber remoulded and set in but here in UK I have welded up very carefully the top of the universal section . It's critical to have it perfectly Central as on rotation it would cause the universal to bind .
Some pics to follow of today's progress at Alex Jupes workshop . I was hoping to finish this off earlier so I could attend the Classic Alfa Trackday at Goodwood but wheel alignment took longer than expected using fish lines :D
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (171.04 KiB) Viewed 8507 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (93.84 KiB) Viewed 8511 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (117.97 KiB) Viewed 8511 times
Last edited by kevin on Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Some pics during installation . Cleaned up all the rubbish out the cross member and treated exposed areas . Amazing their is zero rust in this car !
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (104.38 KiB) Viewed 8511 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (69.37 KiB) Viewed 8511 times
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

KevinR It's interesting to hear that Ethanol is bad for carbs.Does it go after the gaskets and seals ? Here in Canada we're fortunate, Shell Premium is 100% E free, so that's what I run.In my case, I'm injected, I worry more about fuel lines and fittings and mobilizing crud in the good old fuel tank.Plus I hate getting ripped off -more- by the fuel companies.
Nice work on the steering and front end, it's really going to tighten things up.The factory fresh steering was pretty darn good, I've driven a low miles all original Gtv6 and it's pretty sweet.
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

Murray,
The ethanol attacks the seals and gaskets, leaves varnish behind, attracts water, corrodes aluminum if it sits (float bowls of carbs), etc. It makes carb engines run leaner and makes injection engines use more fuel. In general its not so bad if the vehicle is used on a regular basis but it is bad if allowed to sit.

Not that helps, but there it is......

zig
MR1 Zig (I made rate!)
Machinery Repairman USNR
KevinR
Verde
Verde

Post by KevinR »

Just a few more months of summer left so I thought I would do some more servicing on the car . The car had slight misfire and lumpy idle , usually most people blame the carbs and start fiddling and then it goes pear shape from there . I changed out the spark plugs as they were looking pretty bad . . Car ran instantly better with some new NGk BP7ES . Their still was slight hesitation with flickering Rev counter needle so changed out coil as dizzy cap and leads were only three years old . All is now perfect and running really smoothly .

Just an observation on using the the Valvoline 20w50 oil . It's taken about 3000km to get the engine used to it as previously with my tried and trusted Castrol oil I was using a litre /700km now it's about 400ml per 1000km and the light puff of smoking has stopped at idle .
Another possibility is that I have barely used the car in the last 15 years and valve seals had got a bit hard and only now since I have been using it on uninterrupted fast cruising trips from Outskirts of London to Bosham a few times a month has it " softened " them up . ( or just deglazed the barrels )

The airfilter is the same as per alfa Sei and have to thank Henk who has also just imported his carb SA GTV 3.0 to the UK for supplying one . Good find Henk !
The fuel filter is standard and was happy to note the old one was still pretty clean .
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (96.04 KiB) Viewed 8270 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (157.97 KiB) Viewed 8270 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (92.14 KiB) Viewed 8270 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (181.05 KiB) Viewed 8270 times
KevinR
Verde
Verde

Post by KevinR »

Two pics is took from the start of my journey to Alex Jupes workshop . It's very scenic from the start where I live in the Surrey Hillls to Bosham . The pic next to the duck pond is next to a great pub called the Richmond Arms in West Ashling - just out side Bosham . Ths is the usual hangout on the weekend of the Goodwood Meeting in March.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (182.32 KiB) Viewed 8269 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (172.42 KiB) Viewed 8269 times
bteoh
Platinum
Platinum

Post by bteoh »

Kevin,
Car looks great and beautiful scenery too.

Cheers,
Brian
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

Yes KevinR beautifull pics.
Just to set your mind at ease, I've been running the valvoline VR1 for 5 years, ever since I learned of Castrol's evil plot to destroy camshafts by virtually eliminating ZDDP from my trusty old 20/50.The valvoline has been every bit as good, maybe better, but I'm careful about the fact that it's a "low detergent" oil.So I'm careful about changing out every 7.5k or so.But I'm anal about that kind of stuff.
1986-GTV6
KevinR
Verde
Verde

Post by KevinR »

Decided the 3.7 needed an oil change so while I was really impressed with the Valvoline 20w 50 on the 3.0 12v I have gone for the valvoline 10w 60 on the 24v . Previously on this 24V is was using the Shell 10w 60 with no issues so I guess it's now a case of monitory noise in hydraulic lifters and consumption .
Had both cars out the sunshine to snapped a few pics . Belt service should be up soon for both . It's the time period not the mileage as both cars together have not even done 4000km !
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (220.96 KiB) Viewed 8206 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (127.06 KiB) Viewed 8206 times
bteoh
Platinum
Platinum

Post by bteoh »

Kevin,
Neat trick with the old filler cap area being converted to a breather hose :D
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

YES KevinR I get going to the 10W60. You don't have to care about the low end number in your climate and you gain some margin on the hot end.Will probably work out well.
1986-GTV6
KevinR
Verde
Verde

Post by KevinR »

It was an Icy cold day yesterday at Goodwood with temps below zero and yet the annual Marshalls trackday was fully booked . Just a few pics and I will try attach a video of George's 3.2 Gta 75
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (114.46 KiB) Viewed 7774 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (121.89 KiB) Viewed 7774 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (93.11 KiB) Viewed 7774 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (113.42 KiB) Viewed 7774 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (106.47 KiB) Viewed 7774 times