PietereQ
Platinum
Platinum

Re: 166 24v into 116 GTV

Post by PietereQ »

Hmm interesting, here's my part. There's only metal gasket sealing it against the block.

What year is your engine? Mine's 2004.
KevinR
Verde
Verde

Post by KevinR »

That is strange as this part is from late model 166 phase two engine . It must have been a correction on these cars to stop the leak that occurs here . This reason I was wanting to machine groove for O ring .
Davo
Silver
Silver

Post by Davo »

Must be something in the air – I have also just started cutting out baffles to fit the 116 sump to a 166 24V:

PietereQ: that CNC file for the splash plate will be very welcome :D – PM sent

I’m also heading down the “adapter” path for the oil filter – my engine has the o-ring:

I sourced an adapter from a 4WD guy in the UK fitting a V6 into a rock crawler – this one repositions the oil filter back a little to allow use of the existing alternator if desired;

Rather than using the metal gasket he went the o-ring route machining in a 2mm groove (second version adapter here – he decided to go with a dry sump – and DIY anodising - very clever guy!);

Last edited by Davo on Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
105gta.
Gold
Gold

Post by 105gta. »

Another option for those interested in keeping the later hi output alternator is to remote mount the filter. It still means drilling and tapping the block but also means the the filter is now easily reached
Attachments
IMG_6863.JPG
IMG_6863.JPG (127.19 KiB) Viewed 8246 times
IMG_6862.JPG
IMG_6862.JPG (128.22 KiB) Viewed 8246 times
PietereQ
Platinum
Platinum

Post by PietereQ »

@ Davo, could you update your links? The pics aren't showing.

I'm little bit confused as to the flywheel installation on the 24V.
I have lightened GTV6 2,5L flywheel that I originally wanted to mate with the 3.0 24V. I know Alfa V6's are externally balanced. Now where the confusion starts:

Some people tell me to have my 2,5l flywheel zero balanced, bolt it on and forget about it.
Others tell me, that in order to make this work I need to have entire rotating assembly balanced.
Others tell me, to have my 2,5l flywheel match balanced with the original dual mass flywheel the engine came with.
And there's the group telling me to get 3.0l flywheel from 75/Milano, because it has correct counterweights to match the 3.0.

I know the best way is to go with full engine balancing, bobweights etc. but since I'm not touching the bottom end I don't really see any sense (financially speaking) to tear down the engine and have it balanced (My 24V is a low mileage motor)

So what are your suggestions, start looking for 3.0l flywheel, or can still make use of the one I have (2.5l)?
75evo
Verde
Verde

Post by 75evo »

I think you start with any flywheel as long as you have the balance factor right.

Discussion here:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1140&start=45

Everything you said about getting it all done with bob weights and getting it all balance together is right. But I've seen cars with mismatched flywheels (i.e 24V installs in a Milano using a Milano 3.0 flywheel) run for years. It's not the right thing to do, but it works!! Would I do it? Hell no, but you should do what suites your situation.

What about this, borrow a spare 24V crank, and use bob weights to simulate the 24V pistons and rods, to balance your flywheel and pulley. After the job is done, return the crank and voila, you at least have a balanced flywheel for a 24V. Not ideal, but it is be better than just mounting an unbalanced flywheel.

BTW looking at this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1140&start=45

Just shows me how damn valuable this forum is. You won't find this on the FB groups. All pure fluff there.
Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

Copying the balance off the original flywheel is the easiest and best solution if you're not opening up the engine.
Drive it like you stole it...
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Easier said than done. Static balance is NOT enough. You must copy the dynamic balance and this will require some fabrication of a means to mount the flywheel on the balancer, plus an arm with a variable/movable weight on it which is to be mounted on the flywheel to achieve zero imbalance during the procedure. This arm will then have to be mounted on the new flywheel in exactly the same way. You can then balance the flywheel.

Jim K.
Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

It's not easy, that's for sure. But you don't have to open up the engine and it beats using an unbalanced 12v flywheel.

The balancing guy i used a few years ago did something like that. We even sacrificed an old 2.5 crank to fix the flywheel to. :)
Drive it like you stole it...
KevinR
Verde
Verde

Post by KevinR »

I found a place in the UK who could copy the balance factor from my GTV 6 flywheel onto my custom flywheel no problem.( this was for me front mount gearbox car ) In South Africa we have aircraft and race car balancing shop who did mine for me in an hour . They very sophisticated machines and it was like copy , paste . Simple as that .
You just gotta find right shop . I would find a single mass 3.0 24v flywheel to start so you can copy that to the GTV 6 flywheel .
PietereQ
Platinum
Platinum

Post by PietereQ »

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'll be looking then for a proper balancing shop to have the flywheel match balanced.
Alfa GTV6 NZ
Gold
Gold

Post by Alfa GTV6 NZ »

Hi guys,

Glad to see some new ideas on this post recently.

I have just recently picked up a cheap 166 with 170k on the clock and will look at putting it in my 87 GTV6.

Might have missed it but what is everyone using for ECU's?

Thanks
Karl
1987 GTV6 - Livin in New Zealand.
maxiboy
Gold
Gold

Post by maxiboy »

Davo wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:56 pm

I sourced an adapter from a 4WD guy in the UK fitting a V6 into a rock crawler – this one repositions the oil filter back a little to allow use of the existing alternator if desired;

Rather than using the metal gasket he went the o-ring route machining in a 2mm groove (second version adapter here – he decided to go with a dry sump – and DIY anodising - very clever guy!);

Have you got the contact details for his guy as i read his amazing thread .... does he sell these via the web thanks
Davo
Silver
Silver

Post by Davo »

I just PM Ed him on the 4x4 forum - no chance he is selling these, I just scored a “spare” adapter when he modified his design! Exceptionally talented fabricator....
maxiboy
Gold
Gold

Post by maxiboy »

Davo wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:07 am I just PM Ed him on the 4x4 forum - no chance he is selling these, I just scored a “spare” adapter when he modified his design! Exceptionally talented fabricator....
Agreed his skill levels blow my mind watching him create a dry sump pan from solid alloy.. i was amazed at his skill levels