Please post a pic of yourself or your car tell us about yourself and let us know where you are from.
KevinR
Verde
Verde

Re: Hello from relocation to UK with my two South African GTV6's

Post by KevinR »

Sow progress but limited spare time . Thanks Jim for best ways to do cam cover gaskets :)
Dam alternator belt ordered was wrong size ( 850mm ) was 15mm to small ! This is the size here on GTV data base !
In SA you just walk into spares shop , give the guy the belt and out he brings the matching one . Spare shops here first want you VIN !
Attachments
C6334139-D2FC-4FF4-8D65-78271332E0D7.jpeg
C6334139-D2FC-4FF4-8D65-78271332E0D7.jpeg (63.55 KiB) Viewed 11135 times
85D2A2B9-E3F7-4C92-A9FD-F004BEF7C32F.jpeg
85D2A2B9-E3F7-4C92-A9FD-F004BEF7C32F.jpeg (147.74 KiB) Viewed 11135 times
KevinR
Verde
Verde

Post by KevinR »

Got the bonnet on this weekend but searching for some soft aluminium tri-fold rivets for the plastic bonnet stay . Normal rivets will pull straight through the fibreglass so just a process of finding the correct ones .
Pretty happy with the bonnet insulation as it looks very original to what these cars came with .
One might notice from the pic how the SA GTV 3.0 came out with a much thicker radiator but also slightly narrower by 20mm .
This difference in rads was a major factor in keeping these cars cool in the extremely hot race conditions they raced in SA. A few cars also had illegal fuel coolers in the front valence .
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (79.48 KiB) Viewed 11095 times
KevinR
Verde
Verde

Post by KevinR »

Progress been really slow on this Alfa but managed get the car on its wheels, timing all set and the plastic bonnet catch delicately riveted to the fibreglass bonet .
Pic attached of the tripod rivet works perfectly in the brittle fibreglass .
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (82.9 KiB) Viewed 11027 times
KevinR
Verde
Verde

Post by KevinR »

The tops of my carbs seemed to be sweating a bit to much but I'm only planning to do full carb rebuild in the winter so I thought I would change top gasket and the notorious rubber O ring . Same will change float valve ( needle seat ) but i noticed the carb kits supplied cater for the 2.5 obviously and the 3.0 SA models had large size which was 1.5mm not 1.2 .
When I revisit this part in the winter I will have the new float valve "drilled" by a proper machine shop .
Some pics to follow and time to book MOT shortly .
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (117.53 KiB) Viewed 10993 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (60.87 KiB) Viewed 10993 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (121.52 KiB) Viewed 10993 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (118.19 KiB) Viewed 10993 times
KevinR
Verde
Verde

Post by KevinR »

Hey Jim ! You there :)
I mentioned above that the original needle valve on the 3.0 GTV is a 1.5 mm as in pic however the replacement is 1.2 due to the kit always been for a 2.5 Alfa Six so I was thinking of getting these drilled out or buying a proper drill set for carbs .
So question is should I rather send this to a pro and hope he is a pro :) or is it simple thing to do ?
What worries me is the hole could go egg shape ( elongate ) , get burs in it etc . Should you drill it slowly so not get to much heat in brass or quick to avoid the burrs . Once it's done how should I get the seating for the needle to fit perfectly . Tap something round in ? Any use of oil for drilling ?
It is a critical size to achieve as I have contacted guys who race with these cars and have said it must be 1.5 like I currently have .
Thoughts ? Send to pro ?
Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

Ask Jack at info@carburateurwinkel.nl

He is very knowledgeable with these things. He might be able to supplie you the right part.

Jack is also an absolute alfa/carnut and a great guy in general. He will most likely also be at the ssar in august.
Drive it like you stole it...
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Just saw the needle valve post Kevin. I wouldn't bother drilling anything, given the risks involved. If even one of them things flood during use, its not a walk in the park. Spend the money (£90-100) and buy new larger ones. I got one of these things on a 50cc ancient Garelli moped and the Viton conical point detached after several years of use... So, do yourself a favor and lighten your wallet! :lol:
https://www.dellorto.co.uk/shop/dellort ... -and-seat/

Jim K.
KevinR
Verde
Verde

Post by KevinR »

AaH ! Thanks Jim ! I gave up finding spares for these carbs and your link shows Eurocarb which is not far from me an
has originals in stock !
Now the process of opening the wallet ... Again ... . Maybe I can get a discount on bulk order :) six carbs !
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Ok, back here again regarding the 6 carbs. I am currently rebuilding them and the new needle valves are 1.2mm but no rubber tips, just classic brass needles. Fortunately the carbs are in almost new condition and work is straightforward. :)

Jim K.
KevinR
Verde
Verde

Post by KevinR »

Jim , parts are on orider ... In the meantime all is back together . Enjoying the fully rebuilt front suspension . Not sure about the koni shocks as the 32 year old shocks were so bad that anything is brilliant :) I added an extra degree of camber for good measure . Only 1.8 degrees now !
I rebuilt one of the radiator fans as the brass bush had seized but by sounds of things I need to do the other .. Otherwise it's time for fan kit from the workshop .. Hoping to avoid this as this digging into wallet for float valves ( needle seat )
Can find these fan kits at http://alexjupemotorsport.co.uk/parts-f ... g-fan-kits
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (129.17 KiB) Viewed 10905 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (115.25 KiB) Viewed 10905 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (100.8 KiB) Viewed 10905 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (101.88 KiB) Viewed 10905 times
Maurizio
Verde
Verde

Post by Maurizio »

KevinR wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:32 pm Image

:shock: there is somebody moving to the dark side... the blue one next, to the gtv :mrgreen:
Banned.. ? ;-) Daily donky.. ==> BMW 325d Image
E36M3 (3.0) Ringtool :twisted: ==> definitely BANNED!

AR 75 TS Ringtool '90, AR Spider 2000 veloce '79
KevinR
Verde
Verde

Post by KevinR »

Maurizio ! The BMW is Alex's and I was thinking of buying it for a tow car .... But old car big price tag ( even though in mint condition ) no warranty and it's the very DARK side .. Thought it was safer to go with the Stelvio 280hp . It's been great fun so far . Alfa UK have offered such massive discounts on with a trade on the Giulietta :D
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (93.33 KiB) Viewed 10856 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (114.71 KiB) Viewed 10856 times
KevinR
Verde
Verde

Post by KevinR »

My fan kit arrived but the brackets should have been black anodised like they normally are however as running out of time for trip to Zandvoort so will do later stage .
Massive heat wave here in UK for last few weeks would put an end to my freshly rebuilt original fans . Think the shafts were just to worn creating vibration .
These fans really work so well and are silent .
Some pics to follow including my old fans which still look in great shape . Notice the South AFrican 3.0 GTV had a much thicker radiator for racing and the hot climate !
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (126.13 KiB) Viewed 10793 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (100.17 KiB) Viewed 10815 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (74.97 KiB) Viewed 10815 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (127.54 KiB) Viewed 10815 times
bteoh
Platinum
Platinum

Post by bteoh »

Looks good Kevin. Were the fans a direct bolt on to the radiator without any mods? If so, would they fit the standard GTV6s also?
Cheers
KevinR
Verde
Verde

Post by KevinR »

Hi , yes the are a direct bolt on to the standard radiator . When we got them made a radiator was sent to Revotec with existing fans so they even have the correct terminals on. I met the guys from Revotec at Autosport in UK show and were more than obliging to do fan kits for these cars . It's always been an area even after a full fan refurbishment that can let you down !
Can get them direct from Revotec or through Alex Jupe .
http://www.revotec.com/cgi-bin/sh000001 ... dAR_2dGTV6