Alfa Romeo ONLY please!

Would you tolerate a FWD Alfa race car topic being developed here?

Poll ended at Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:38 pm

Yes I would.
75%
No I would not.
No votes
Either way is fine
25%

Total votes: 4

MD
Verde
Verde

Son of Cab a FWD racer?

Post by MD »

I will be guided by you-the members of this site and your feedback.
Here's the run down.
Transaxle cars are becoming more and more rare from natural attrition here and the cars themselves are moving up in prices and so the old notion of just hacking one up for racing is for me at least becoming an issue. So faced with this problem, I have decided to have a crack at driving from the opposite end-the front wheels mainly from the availability of cars and parts. I have never been a fan of FWD for this application and have said so plenty of times. Rather than just give up my love of motorsport, I have decided to have one last go to keep faith with Alfa Romeo. Otherwise, I would have to switch brands which is my least preference.
So I am thinking of developing a 2005 GT for this purpose. This may develop into a new topic set if you like. Let me have some feedback if you want to see this stuff on our transaxle site (or not).

Cheers,
MD
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

Re: Son of Cab a FWD racer?

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

Over here in the Netherlands there has always been quite a large alfa-racing scene. Over the years we've seen that the fwd models can be nice racecars and certainly are capable of providing a lot of fun.

One of the guys i know is a young man in his sixties who for years raced rwd alfa's. He still has a giulia super in a very capable set up and a 116 giulietta 3.2 v6 project. Last year he came across an alfa 156 racecar with a 3.2 v6 in it and took the plunge. He really seems to like it, needs a really different drivingstyle but he enjoys it.

Alfa gt would make a nice car. Availability of off the shelf raceparts might be a bit low but a lot of 156/147 parts will fit. Sure is a nice looking car.

I say go for it and keep us update. :)
Drive it like you stole it...
Alfaaa1
Gold
Gold

Post by Alfaaa1 »

MD ,
My other car is a 2003 Spider Phase 3.2 and its one of the best cars I have had.
Great handling car for a front wheel drive , you won't be disappointed. :D
Attachments
IMG_3836.jpg
IMG_3836.jpg (131.84 KiB) Viewed 7290 times
Alfaaa1
Gold
Gold

Post by Alfaaa1 »

Same mechanicals as a GT 3.2 24v Busso power :D :D :D
Attachments
IMG_0871.jpg
IMG_0871.jpg (121.92 KiB) Viewed 7290 times
KevinR
Verde
Verde

Post by KevinR »

Hey MD ! Where is the son of the CAB ? Or are you spending to much time in your banana hammock on your sunny beaches ?
gtv-racer
Platinum
Platinum

Post by gtv-racer »

I had a gtv 916 2.0ts supercharged. It handeld very nice and it was as quick as a 3.0. Not the heavy nose of the v6.

I say, post the topic. It would be intresting to follow!
AlanV6
Gold
Gold

Post by AlanV6 »

yeah why not :D but to have cheap and readily available parts, 156 or 147 should be easier to get body parts.

My 156:
stock-ish 2.5 v6

3.0 tuned and lightened to 1000kg cca, a lot of homemade parts:

now with rollcage and some carbonfibre bits :)

MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

I'm back !!
I cracked the Da Vince Code and my left nut but I am here.

So having looked at the statistics of 269 views of this topic with 3 votes for and 1 ambidextrous, I think the real message is that most users of this Forum don't give a shit one way or another. So to spare everybody the pain, I will just quietly do my own thing and stick to transaxle stuff if and when I do post. Thanks for the feedback one and all.

Cheers. MD
scociu
Silver
Silver

Post by scociu »

Don't get discouraged. I didn't even notice this was a poll.
Here are a few photos of my Alfa 156 GTA used exclusively for track days nowadays:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Ch9Vz ... teYG6DKo7F

FWD can be fun and is definitely fast.
Attachments
IMG_0174 (2).JPG
IMG_0174 (2).JPG (133.66 KiB) Viewed 7045 times
156 GTA - Intrax 1K2 ARC - Q2 - AP Racing Radi-CAL PRO5000R 356mm - Whiteline ARBs - CF2 headers - ACT Carbon Plenum - Ferrari 360 TB - Sabelt GT-200
KevinR
Verde
Verde

Post by KevinR »

That’s a great pity MD ( the apathy) .. I prefer to see race engineering than parts been polished and put back from where they came !
Maybe those who viewed are not engineering orientated :wall:
75evo
Verde
Verde

Post by 75evo »

This 147 GTA 3.8 is fast!

https://youtu.be/lEFG7-FXmoY
75evo
Verde
Verde

Post by 75evo »

MD,

Check out the the difference in abilities.

Alfa Championship 2016 SMSP

https://youtu.be/sbtdoLO6q2s

The GT will have problems with understeer as the race progresses. This car needs serious weight reduction at the front otherwise a modified GTV6 will run rings around it at a twisty track. Maybe the front track needs even more widening like Alan's car.
Last edited by 75evo on Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
75evo
Verde
Verde

Post by 75evo »

But if you get the formula right like Marco, then you're car will be super quick.

147 GTA 6-speed seq. Philip Island.

https://youtu.be/OZKDQIAIaeA
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Nah. Way too much trouble and expense.
I think what I should do is modify the gearbox so it has 6 reverse gears and 1 forward. Place the steering wheel in the back seat and put the radiator in the boot. A straight conversion to rear wheel drive just like a Ferrari. I don't know why I didn't think of it before.
Probably too busy buying up Cavity Wax for JK seeing he has everything delivered to home lately.HAAAHHAAA. :mrgreen:
If this doesn't get him out of bed then maybe I am too late. Perhaps they have already made the wax dummy cast. Cripes I 've just had a terrible thought. With the heat wave in Europe, the dummy could have melted down and he's been recycled into church candles. It's too horrible to contemplate. Mind you I can just visualise the barrage of expletives when they light his wick.....
75evo
Verde
Verde

Post by 75evo »

Well he took my deposit money for headers, I’m assuming he is still alive and kicking, probably used my money to buy some drinks for the blonde bombshell from across town. :D

Instead of having 6 reverse speeds, why not just run the engine backwards. Everyone knows that Alfa V6s loves to be turned backwards. Then you can participate in the reverse races in Holland.

https://youtu.be/Req2qhhhgB4

They’re a weird bunch. Apparently they like to live under the sea but without the water. So I guess that’s why the race in reverse. :mrgreen: :wall:

But the Greeks, now they’re extra special. :lol: